Serious Social Question: Is "White Trash" the same thing as the N word?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":3blv6kdn said:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/books/review/white-trash-by-nancy-isenberg.html?_r=0
It might be a worthy read.

That is the book John mentioned at the beginning. Nancy Isenberg, is the LSU professor. I think John knows her.

And who pray tell was capturing and selling these unfortunate souls into a life of servitude? Hmmmm?
I always see this or a version of it in these type discussions, as if it somehow excuses or negates the buying and mistreatment of "these unfortunate souls", and it's a simple deflection. "Don't look here--look over there"...Sellers developing any "product or service" have never done so without a known market--ever. The old "If you build it they will come" only works with ball fields and in the movies.

But back to the white trash vs women thing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVUGCdTVpug

GB stated:
I always see this or a version of it in these type discussions, as if it somehow excuses or negates the buying and mistreatment of "these unfortunate souls", and it's a simple deflection. "Don't look here--look over there"...Sellers developing any "product or service" have never done so without a known market--ever. The old "If you build it they will come" only works with ball fields and in the movies.

Yep. Always comes up. The timeless deflection. Thank you.

Human slavery is alive and well today has been since the beginning of time and will be to the end.
People will be divided in class as long as there is man if you think you are going to change the world it is a fantasy.

Caustic Burno":173j0ie1 said:
Human slavery is alive and well today has been since the beginning of time and will be to the end.
People will be divided in class as long as there is man if you think you are going to change the world it is a fantasy.

So we should just fall in line and do as others do?

greybeard":2jhqg35y said:
And who pray tell was capturing and selling these unfortunate souls into a life of servitude? Hmmmm?

But back to the white trash vs women thing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVUGCdTVpug

No oh pious one, just pointing out the obvious, slavery exited long before whitey showed up on the scene.

I'm not saying I condone it.

Caustic Burno":32th8vzd said:

Give that man a blue ribbon, he gets it.

I prefer this statement------"A person trapped in generational poverty, by circumstances beyond their control". Seems to be the most politically correct way to say "white trash".

greybeard":25pojgvg said:
TennesseeTuxedo":25pojgvg said:
No oh pious one, just pointing out the obvious, slavery exited long before whitey showed up on the scene.
If only that were true.

As much as it pains me to say. I believe tuxedo is correct. Slavery existed in Africa before the whites became involved. In fact a large percentage of these slaves we're sold by their black African captures to white slave traders.

Not that it changes anything. It's history.
I propose we just all Call each other trash and see who cries first.

Craig Miller":2sg3wzuu said:
Caustic Burno":2sg3wzuu said:

So we should just fall in line and do as others do?

A lot more of the worlds population believe in a system of slavery and a caste system, the Indian culture and Muslims embrace it just to name a couple. Billions of the worlds population practice it just reality .

Bigfoot":2lpwpa4e said:
I prefer this statement------"A person trapped in generational poverty, by circumstances beyond their control". Seems to be the most politically correct way to say "white trash".

Perfect. Kentucky could be the poster child for that statement.

I know Grit will disagree, but the "by circumstances beyond their control" is real. I lived in the Rocky Mountain West for 33 years. Retired to this farm in 2010. My original purpose was recreational. Mostly a place to shoot. I got interested in cattle. As I started mingling with locals, I realized I knew nothing about how people live. I left home in 1968. Dormitory life was a higher standard of living than I was raised with. When I left home, dad and mom did not have ANY indoor plumbing. Please don't ask me why dad did not do better!

Time has erased all that. I left college and had a nice home and had more money than I ever dreamed of. But coming back here has opened my eyes. People struggle in ways that are much worse than how I was raised.

inyati13":1eyg724k said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1eyg724k said:
inyati13":1eyg724k said:
Slave ships traveled a course called the slave route. The smell of death, urine and feces were heavy in the waters. Sharks started following beginning off the coast of Angola. They fed on the bodies of the blacks who died and were thrown overboard. The smell would get so bad that no one in the crew would go into the holds to retrieve the dead. It was a good trip if half the cargo reached the carribean alive. Sometimes the entire load of human cargo would die enroute. Men, with their wives and families shackled together. Women held the youngest. Mortality for the youngest was nearly 100 %. The slave traders knew that but the lose of 10 toddlers was worth the risk of getting one across the Atlantic alive. Every American should read about the slave trade.

Arabs had controlled the slave trade in Africa for 100s of years before American demand for slaves existed. Slave caravans moved all over Africa capturing black Africans. I doubt anyone knows how many were captured versus how many were purchased from tribal Kings/chiefs.

Yes, black Africa has a horrible human rights history. Where do you think the term Dark continent comes from? Not skin color my friend.

I agree with most of what you say but it wasn't just blacks they enslaved but many Europeans as well. Muslims don't discriminate. It wasn't until a few countries banded together and kicked their butts and threatened to take away their power did the Muslims concentrate the slave trade solely to Africa.

I've traveled a good bit in the Caribbean and what I found odd is most of the slaves were sent to this area to work in the cane fields. Seems like 95% but I may be off a little. Anyhow, what I found odd were these blacks can't stand American blacks. They claim they are lazy and untrustworthy and can't understand why more don't pursue the opportunities America has to offer. Needless to say I found the conversation rather uncomfortable but it may have just been that most of these folks spoke better English than I do.

A lot of times they feel such a connection with family they are unable to leave when young. Families do everything together so it's hard to leave that. It's not beyond their control when they are young but it does feel that way. As you get older it is harder to move away and try something new and better.

jedstivers":24ev0grz said:
Didn't read replies but is short, she's a effing moron.
And for the record I hate white trash more.
Amen brother Amen
Lack of income has nothing to do with a basic education, cleanliness and manners it's a life choice.
This choice has become worse in my lifetime today there is free education,
Health care, housing, food with diminishing social skills.
When I was growing up was public education if you didn't work you didn't get the rest or fit in to society.
IMO we have created an epidemic
People stay where they are comfortable and satisfied takes a lot less to satisfy some

Jogeephus":zsmp3aay said:
inyati13":zsmp3aay said:
TennesseeTuxedo":zsmp3aay said:

Arabs had controlled the slave trade in Africa for 100s of years before American demand for slaves existed. Slave caravans moved all over Africa capturing black Africans. I doubt anyone knows how many were captured versus how many were purchased from tribal Kings/chiefs.

Yes, black Africa has a horrible human rights history. Where do you think the term Dark continent comes from? Not skin color my friend.

I agree with most of what you say but it wasn't just blacks they enslaved but many Europeans as well. Muslims don't discriminate. It wasn't until a few countries banded together and kicked their butts and threatened to take away their power did the Muslims concentrate the slave trade solely to Africa.

I've traveled a good bit in the Caribbean and what I found odd is most of the slaves were sent to this area to work in the cane fields. Seems like 95% but I may be off a little. Anyhow, what I found odd were these blacks can't stand American blacks. They claim they are lazy and untrustworthy and can't understand why more don't pursue the opportunities America has to offer. Needless to say I found the conversation rather uncomfortable but it may have just been that most of these folks spoke better English than I do.

The Bible speaks on slavery and oddly, not in condemnation. As many have commented, slavery has been part of mankind dating to prehistory. No race or nation is without sin. I don't know if you can finger any culture as being more culpable.

inyati13":28foqr6e said:
Bigfoot":28foqr6e said:

Perfect. Kentucky could be the poster child for that statement.

I know Grit will disagree, but the "by circumstances beyond their control" is real. I lived in the Rocky Mountain West for 33 years. Retired to this farm in 2010. My original purpose was recreational. Mostly a place to shoot. I got interested in cattle. As I started mingling with locals, I realized I knew nothing about how people live. I left home in 1968. Dormitory life was a higher standard of living than I was raised with. When I left home, dad and mom did not have ANY indoor plumbing. Please don't ask me why dad did not do better!

Time has erased all that. I left college and had a nice home and had more money than I ever dreamed of. But coming back here has opened my eyes. People struggle in ways that are much worse than how I was raised.

So much of life is perspective. We tend to create our world around us and presume most folks world is similiar. I have had the good fortune to live many places in this country and gained many perspectives thereby. Without those experiences I doubt I would be as objective as I am now (and I have much more capacity to grow). I have always admired those folks who have the ability to understand different perspectives without having to have 'experienced' it first hand. I higher level of intelligence I believe.

A young couple with two kids live in a house trailer less than half a mile from here. I know both of them. She works in janitorial service at the nursing home. He works odd jobs. This is a unique County. Small County with no jobs. A total agricultural base. He bought some baby calves from the local dairies summer before last. Bottle fed them and the neighbor let him fence off about 5 acres for pasture - no charge. Everyone knows their circumstances. He did well. Made some money in addition to doing farm labor. Last summer he tried the same thing and did not recover what he paid the dairies for the calves.

I am thankful, I never had to look my son in the eyes and know I could not meet his needs.

Latest posts