Serious Social Question: Is "White Trash" the same thing as the N word?

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
Yesterday I described despicable, sinful behavior as "white trash". A young lady, not the person whom I was describing, felt it was her duty to put me in my place by letting me know that term is offensive to women. She informed me that no decent man would utter the words "white trash" in front of any female. Yes, she prefaced her statement with "As a wife and a mother".

I didn't bother to tell her a female professor at LSU just wrote a book called White Trash.

Is this a term offensive to women?

Most people I know equate in east Texas as the same as the N word.
Refers to the trash low life's of the race. Both are used quit regularly just depends on the race of the moment in the discussion.

Ball not even close today maybe 40 years ago. N here is a project dwelling drug dealer stealing dope head who wouldn't work if you beat him.
Now the positive LBJ has most of them in public housing. Black people work.
On the flip side WT are meth/crack heads that will steal you blind. To sorry to work at anything other than making and running dope. They are usually easy to spot by poor hygiene, the number of tattoos, as well as the number of pit bulls in the yard.
Both are leaches of society

No.

The N word has a long association with racial history. It is not limited to American history. In africa, European colonial powers used the term as a class difference between them and the native population. The term came to America from the old world. Americans used in a similar manner - as a class difference.

It evolved into a derogatory reference to one of the four recognized races of Homo sapiens, the Negroid Race. In America, it further became a term whites used after the civil war to disparage the African American blacks.

I don't believe so . the n word has not always been a derogatory term. It is also often used almost as a term of endearment amongst African Americans.
Calling each other my n******* is totally acceptable. Its just when used by another race it becomes racists.
White trash is offensive no matter who says it. And no it's not gender specific.
My personal definition of it. Whites who don't work ,pay taxes , accept welfare, and food stamps.

inyati13":1x3ccsas said:
No.

The N word has a long association with racial history. It is not limited to American history. In africa, European colonial powers used the term as a class difference between them and the native population. The term came to America from the old world. Americans used in a similar manner - as a class difference.

It evolved into a derogatory reference to one of the four recognized races of Homo sapiens, the Negroid Race. In America, it further became a term whites used after the civil war to disparage the African American blacks.

It was not used that way in my youth as many Yankees believe. Most southern families I knew had close personal ties with black families growing up.
I lived and saw the animosity seeds replanted and grow to harvest under LBJ's great society.

Caustic Burno":21zzr1ox said:
inyati13":21zzr1ox said:
No.

It was not used that way in my youth as many Yankees believe. Most southern families I knew had close personal ties with black families growing up.
I lived and saw the animosity seeds replanted and grow to harvest under LBJ's great society.

I read a lot of old African literature. The term was originated in Africa by the Colonial powers. It was not extremely derogatory. It was used to denote a lower class. We must not forget, that people were placed by class in all cultures until modern times and still are in many parts of the world.

Caustic Burno":yjqzamvh said:
Refers to the trash low life's of the race. Both are used quit regularly just depends on the race of the moment in the discussion.

Sounds like in Tx, WT is equally as offensive , if not more so than N word?
Not surprisingly, it's the exact opposite up here. No one bats an eye at term WT, but N word does.
More regional differences?

Regarding white trash:

IMO, it does not meet the racial threshold that the N word does, but it does denote a lower class.

Considering world history, the Caucasian (white) race has treated itself to a top tier position. Therefore, how could calling a white person "white" be racial? Would not be logical.

bball":281g0zh6 said:
Caustic Burno":281g0zh6 said:

Not surprisingly, it's the exact opposite up here. No one bats an eye at term WT, but N word does.

Here both terms are used regularly, the area is not nearly as PC correct as the coastal regions of the country controlled by major media markets.

Neither term is used by me and won't be used by my kids in my house. There's no need to use either to put anybody down.

Craig Miller":2e2wy6bt said:
Neither term is used by me and won't be used by my kids in my house. There's no need to use either to put anybody down.
Truth hurts trash is trash no matter the color of the shoe fits then wear it.
This is from a man with biracial grandchildren nieces and nephews they will know the cold hard facts of the world and perception

Caustic Burno":3sr09arb said:
bball":3sr09arb said:
Caustic Burno":3sr09arb said:

Here both terms are used regularly, the area is not nearly as PC correct as the coastal regions of the country controlled by major media markets.

CB,
Kentucky is not PC territory. It is solidly RED. The N word here means just what everyone thinks it does.

I do agree that 60 years ago when the term was more widely in use that some who used it may have gotten so complacent that they did not consider it derogatory. But I have personally seen one black man call another black man a N........ and he sure knew it was not a term of endearment.

Craig Miller":2ytmxy4i said:

Finally someone with a lick of smarts. :tiphat: if only 95% more of the people in this world were that smart the world would be a great place. Good news is a vast majority of the old folks with the view of most on here will not be here very much longer to infect others with the b.s. These folks then wonder why race relations are so bad.... Duhhhh

Caustic Burno":34n9ccsn said:
Ball not even close today maybe 40 years ago. N here is a project dwelling drug dealer stealing dope head who wouldn't work if you beat him.
Now the positive LBJ has most of them in public housing. Black people work.
On the flip side WT are meth/crack heads that will steal you blind. To sorry to work at anything other than making and running dope. They are usually easy to spot by poor hygiene, the number of tattoos, as well as the number of pit bulls in the yard.
Both are leaches of society

Agreed except drugs ain't a,requirement. Any one who steals, robs ,or leaches off the system
As true grit would say qualifies as trash.
A lazy slob sitting on the couch gorging on foodstamp groceries while he should be working ranks about the same as a meth head to me...Maybe lower.

Latest posts