Serious Social Question: Is "White Trash" the same thing as the N word?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":2v49j6t8 said:
Craig Miller":2v49j6t8 said:
Neither term is used by me and won't be used by my kids in my house. There's no need to use either to put anybody down.

Finally someone with a lick of smarts. :tiphat: if only 95% more of the people in this world were that smart the world would be a great place. Good news is a vast majority of the old folks with the view of most on here will not be here very much longer to infect others with the b.s. These folks then wonder why race relations are so bad.... Duhhhh

Sky:
Most people even in the Redneck Capital the World - Kentucky, my home and my mother goes back to the Boone family that settled here in Maysville, KY- have enough "Smarts" to avoid the N word.

The race issues are vastly deeper than the use of the N word. This is total speculation but the class warfare that our party system has created is exacerbating the issue. Not only are our two parties dividing the races, they are dividing the country. It is disgusting.

Keep your head above it my brother. BTW: did you see where our great father of the Lakota died this week?

skyhightree1":2qq847r6 said:
Craig Miller":2qq847r6 said:
Neither term is used by me and won't be used by my kids in my house. There's no need to use either to put anybody down.

Finally someone with a lick of smarts. :tiphat: if only 95% more of the people in this world were that smart the world would be a great place. Good news is a vast majority of the old folks with the view of most on here will not be here very much longer to infect others with the b.s. These folks then wonder why race relations are so bad.... Duhhhh

What color Kool aid are you drinking this morning Sky? So using the words white trash and N has caused all the problems in the world. That's about the biggest bunch of bs I've ever read.

I tried not to comment but.... To me it's more about people with a chip on their shoulder than the word/words used. You can call me a honky or a cracker all day. Doesn't hurt my feelings or make me mad. But that's just me.

JMJ Farms":2lphlj30 said:
I tried not to comment but.... To me it's more about people with a chip on their shoulder than the word/words used. You can call me a honky or a cracker all day. Doesn't hurt my feelings or make me mad. But that's just me.

I agree with Grit that it is vastly deeper than the N word.

Yes, it is just You because the blacks have a different history than whites in the US. Anglo-Saxon people came here from oppression to freedom. Blacks came from relative freedom to enslavement. We came of free will, they came shackled in the bowels of a boat sleeping in their own urine and feces.

Slave ships traveled a course called the slave route. The smell of death, urine and feces were heavy in the waters. Sharks started following beginning off the coast of Angola. They fed on the bodies of the blacks who died and were thrown overboard. The smell would get so bad that no one in the crew would go into the holds to retrieve the dead. It was a good trip if half the cargo reached the carribean alive. Sometimes the entire load of human cargo would die enroute. Men, with their wives and families shackled together. Women held the youngest. Mortality for the youngest was nearly 100 %. The slave traders knew that but the lose of 10 toddlers was worth the risk of getting one across the Atlantic alive. Every American should read about the slave trade.

To be honest I see so many window stickers in praise of being WT I didnt think it was an issue. The behavior I described as white trash was the criminal act of stealing. It had nothing to do with wardrobe choices or physical appearances.

Yep, riding my bumpy ol tractor with no ac makes one philosophical. So how does one describe immoral behavior without insulting others? To paraphrase the BLM, if you are silent about unethical, immoral behavior then you are an accomplice.

JWBrahman":3bcse9qc said:
To be honest I see so many window stickers in praise of being WT I didnt think it was an issue. The behavior I described as white trash was the criminal act of stealing. It had nothing to do with wardrobe choices or physical appearances.

Yep, riding my bumpy ol tractor with no ac makes one philosophical. So how does one describe immoral behavior without insulting others? To paraphrase the BLM, if you are silent about unethical, immoral behavior then you are an accomplice.

My JD has ac and stero. I mow some steep terrain. I have to be cautious. I start daydreaming and someday someone will wonder where old Ron is only to find me under a tractor on a remote hillside.

If u had fire ant piles on those Kentucky hills it would be a nitemare. Lol

For what it's worth I hear black people say WT all the time. It is no longer a secret that the area North of Baton Rouge has the highest concentration of black people in the US. Most of my daily interactions are with people who don't look like me.

Until this thread, I did not consider the White Trash reference as derogatory. Craig made a good post. I will avoid it in the future.

John, in reference to your question:

So how does one describe immoral behavior without insulting others?

State the immoral behavior without including the "white trash" label. For example, you see a news story on stealing, say "I detest these poor young white girls thinking they deserve Victoria Secret bras. Did you see on the news where a young girl shoplifted 30 bras from a local store. Awful, she didn't even look like she needed them."

inyati13":hmg2ketk said:
Slave ships traveled a course called the slave route. The smell of death, urine and feces were heavy in the waters. Sharks started following beginning off the coast of Angola. They fed on the bodies of the blacks who died and were thrown overboard. The smell would get so bad that no one in the crew would go into the holds to retrieve the dead. It was a good trip if half the cargo reached the carribean alive. Sometimes the entire load of human cargo would die enroute. Men, with their wives and families shackled together. Women held the youngest. Mortality for the youngest was nearly 100 %. The slave traders knew that but the lose of 10 toddlers was worth the risk of getting one across the Atlantic alive. Every American should read about the slave trade.

And who pray tell was capturing and selling these unfortunate souls into a life of servitude? Hmmmm?

JWBrahman":4njhlca5 said:
If u had fire ant piles on those Kentucky hills it would be a nitemare. Lol

For what it's worth I hear black people say WT all the time. It is no longer a secret that the area North of Baton Rouge has the highest concentration of black people in the US. Most of my daily interactions are with people who don't look like me.

John, I can take you places in Kentucky where none of the people look like you and "it ain't cause theys ain't you color".

A long time ago my brother repaired TVs. Now they are disposable. A man, his wife and two kids brought in a TV. The man said "picker dack" . My brother did not understand. He ask the wife. She said "picker dack." Still did not understand. Ask the little boy. He said "picker dack". He ask the little girl. Of course she said the same thing.

He turned on the TV. He says, heII, the picture is dark. They all say in unison, "we'uns telled you".

When I was young I was employed full time at place that was owned by some very wealthy people that were very social and community oriented. The circle they ran in was somewhat the elite class.
They employed lots of the kids part time that were going to college at Texas Tech whose parents ran in the same circle.
Some of the kids had lived a very privileged life and in their minds were a level ahead of everyone else.
Lots of fraternity and sorority party's with different themes, one of the more popular was white trash themed
Some of them would ask other employees if they could borrow or buy their clothes for a party :D

Point being it's based on your perspective
Kind of like when youre 20 someone 40 is old
Then when you're 40 someone 60 is old and etc.

She may be confusing the term "white trash" with "trashy woman". The latter isn;t color/race specific

TennesseeTuxedo":1ft6h07q said:
inyati13":1ft6h07q said:

And who pray tell was capturing and selling these unfortunate souls into a life of servitude? Hmmmm?

Arabs had controlled the slave trade in Africa for 100s of years before American demand for slaves existed. Slave caravans moved all over Africa capturing black Africans. I doubt anyone knows how many were captured versus how many were purchased from tribal Kings/chiefs.

Yes, black Africa has a horrible human rights history. Where do you think the term Dark continent comes from? Not skin color my friend.

bball":qf8033pk said:
Caustic Burno":qf8033pk said:
Most people I know equate in east Texas as the same as the N word.
Refers to the trash low life's of the race. Both are used quit regularly just depends on the race of the moment in the discussion.

Sounds like in Tx, WT is equally as offensive , if not more so than N word?
Not surprisingly, it's the exact opposite up here. No one bats an eye at term WT, but N word does.
More regional differences?

bb around here the only ones offended by the term "white trash" are those that it really applies to. Others just see it as a descriptive term much like "welfare queen" or "dope head". Growing up the "N" word was used as often as about any other words. I was simply raised using the word and knowing it applied to blacks just as you would call an indian a red man. If you speak spanish it's simply the word for "black" referring to anything black.

inyati13":vs41ird3 said:
Regarding white trash:

IMO, it does not meet the racial threshold that the N word does, but it does denote a lower class.

Considering world history, the Caucasian (white) race has treated itself to a top tier position. Therefore, how could calling a white person "white" be racial? Would not be logical.
Ron why do we have to add color at all?? As I read the other day a quote by Morgan Freeman...You stop calling me black and I'll stop calling you white. Remove references to "color". It can be seen so what purpose does it serve to speak it other than denote separation.

TexasBred":3ig97o2v said:
inyati13":3ig97o2v said:
Regarding white trash:

IMO, it does not meet the racial threshold that the N word does, but it does denote a lower class.

Considering world history, the Caucasian (white) race has treated itself to a top tier position. Therefore, how could calling a white person "white" be racial? Would not be logical.
Ron why do we have to add color at all?? As I read the other day a quote by Morgan Freeman...You stop calling me black and I'll stop calling you white. Remove references to "color". It can be seen so what purpose does it serve to speak it other than denote separation.

I saw some of that on Facebook. We should not but it is difficult not to see color given the history of mankind.

I will tell you this: In my heart, I make no difference between a white man/woman and a black man/woman.

Latest posts