Serious Social Question: Is "White Trash" the same thing as the N word?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have only read a couple of post so forgive me if this has been said but I won't read more, when you call someone "white trash" is it usually in a complementary way? Same as throwing out the "n" word or "s" word for Mexicans. If it's not kind it's not right.... Period.

Craig Miller":37bfev0q said:
A lot of times they feel such a connection with family they are unable to leave when young. Families do everything together so it's hard to leave that. It's not beyond their control when they are young but it does feel that way. As you get older it is harder to move away and try something new and better.

While your thoughts are ( just can't find the adjective) MLB kinda kills your hypothesis as other " field skills" do today.

Alan":2jzpf00b said:
I have only read a couple of post so forgive me if this has been said but I won't read more, when you call someone "white trash" is it usually in a complementary way? Same as throwing out the "n" word or "s" word for Mexicans. If it's not kind it's not right.... Period.

Your question is the question of the thread. As always, we get off track but your question is the essence of the thread.

Before reading this thread, I considered WT to be descriptive. Now I am convinced it is derogatory.

Alan":2ht9gx9d said:

No its not meant to be a compliment but often times it is well deserved. For instance, if you got your first cousin pregnant I'd call you white trash.

On the other hand, if I'm around the campfire with some of my friends a few of them might call me honky or white trash then I'd quip back with the N word. But to paint a whole race with a broad brush using one of these terms is wrong but there are some who have earned the right to be called any of these terms.

Kingfisher":wyvpvyos said:
Craig Miller":wyvpvyos said:
A lot of times they feel such a connection with family they are unable to leave when young. Families do everything together so it's hard to leave that. It's not beyond their control when they are young but it does feel that way. As you get older it is harder to move away and try something new and better.

While your thoughts are ( just can't find the adjective) MLB kinda kills your hypothesis as other " field skills" do today.

I don't follow what your saying. I meant to direct that toward ron in reference to the people living around him as there are lots of folks around me the same, myself included at one time.

Jogeephus":1azbpuwd said:
Alan":1azbpuwd said:

No its not meant to be a compliment but often times it is well deserved. For instance, if you got your first cousin pregnant I'd call you white trash.

On the other hand, if I'm around the campfire with some of my friends a few of them might call me honky or white trash then I'd quip back with the N word. But to paint a whole race with a broad brush using one of these terms is wrong but there are some who have earned the right to be called any of these terms.

Jerry Lee Lewis
In 1957, he married for a third time, secretly, to the 13-year-old daughter of his cousin and partner J. W. Brown, 'Myra Gale Brown (I)'. Her parents were deeply hurt when they found out, but after a discussion with Sam Phillips, they forgave Jerry.

I got drunk at a wedding once and kissed my first cousin. Does that count?

inyati13":1yr9r2uq said:
Alan":1yr9r2uq said:

Your question is the question of the thread. As always, we get off track but your question is the essence of the thread.

Before reading this thread, I considered WT to be descriptive. Now I am convinced it is derogatory.

Well sure it's derogatory. White people don't sit around and say " I love ya white trash" while drinking beer and cooking on Saturday afternoon. It just don't have the same ring to it. Just to enlighten y'all if you take color out of any conflict that illicits that sort of language some still prefer be nice to drive the point home.

Kingfisher":27cqq3df said:
inyati13":27cqq3df said:
Alan":27cqq3df said:

Well sure it's derogatory. White people don't sit around and say " I love ya white trash" while drinking beer and cooking on Saturday afternoon. It just don't have the same ring to it. Just to enlighten y'all if you take color out of any conflict that illicits that sort of language some still prefer be nice to drive the point home.

Funny

Caustic Burno":23pc9xj3 said:
TB you are too smart to know it will never be eradicated . This goes back to bible of not mixing of races in the Old Testament secondly it is worse today than 40 years ago. I actually think the hiding of feelings and beliefs under the PC world does nothing but fuel the fire of animosity along with government policies.
All this is perpetrated by a political party just look behind the smoke and mirrors.
It's not about hiding feelings but more like many of us (black and white) need to chance our feelings and beliefs about a complete race of people based on the few we know or have seen on TV. This applies to both black and white. I've told many on here that I have a black son in law. He received his PhD in June, has a great job as a school administrator and is a wonderful husband and dad. Just one example that people of any race can excel if they apply themselves and are given the opportunity. Too many of us still have that segregationist mind set that condemns based on the actions of the few. Again, this works both ways. As for race mixing, that has been happening since Abraham took Hagar to bear him another child and God promised that he would bless him and his descendents would be a great and mighty nation. The first mixed race people mentioned in scripture who were who we called the Arabic people. (not muslim). ;-)

We are reaping the seeds sowed many years ago.

JMJ Farms":2wk7cjhe said:
"You guys in Georgia" Painting with a broad brush ain't you? I'm far from brain dead at this point. However my brain can not comprehend how, in this case, a black person today can hold a white person today responsible for actions that took place over a century ago. No one who participated in those events is still alive or had anything to do with it. Everyone today is free. Some just use the history of slavery as an excuse for being an underachiever.

I stand by my original statement. Right or wrong people who get their feelings hurt over a word/words have a chip on their shoulder. Can't hold on to the past forever. Not condoning it, simply saying the effects are exaggerated.

Then it shouldn't bother any of you to get rid of all the confederate battle flags and monuments and put them in a museum where they belong. ;-) It's as much the flag of a foreign nation as that of Mexico which pizzes off just about everybody who sees one in the US today. If you must fly a confederate flag fly the offical flag of he CSA and not the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia??? Becuase you know the official flag would not offend anyone that's why !!!!

TennesseeTuxedo":344rwvo0 said:
Redneck?

Some might find that offensive.

Some might see it as a compliment.. :wave:

Kingfisher":344rwvo0 said:
inyati13":344rwvo0 said:
Alan":344rwvo0 said:
I t /quote]

Well sure it's derogatory. White people don't sit around and say " I love ya white trash" while drinking beer and cooking on Saturday afternoon.

All the long winded post And history lessons on this thread, and you just put it better than anyone king :clap:

inyati13":1axxfaic said:
Kingfisher":1axxfaic said:
inyati13":1axxfaic said:

Funny
Not really just truth.....

inyati13":3mz9jelz said:

I don't know. I guess that depends on how good looking she was.

I got drunk once and woke up under a bridge. Does that make me a troll?

Kingfisher":wxjvi7gt said:
inyati13":wxjvi7gt said:
Kingfisher":wxjvi7gt said:

Funny
Not really just truth.....
Truth is the best humor of all!

Guy, walking down the street, as if he has crap in his pants.
Two Doctors are walking behind him.
One Doctor says, "that man has a bad case of hemorrhoids".
Other Doctor says, " I disagree, he has a hernia."
So that catch up and tap the man on the shoulder. Doctor says," Sir, would you settle an argument? I think you have a bad case of hemorrhoids. My associate thinks you have a hernia. Which is it?"
Guy says, "We're all three wrong, I thought it was a fart."

Jogeephus":32j57wmi said:
inyati13":32j57wmi said:

He said he kissed his first cousin, but didn't say nothing about the first cousin being a girl.

Been my experience it is only the truth that hurts and that applies to both terms being discussed. I call em like I see them.

True Grit Farms":lurugtdp said:
Jogeephus":lurugtdp said:
inyati13":lurugtdp said:

He said he kissed his first cousin, but didn't say nothing about the first cousin being a girl.

I told you this is the Red Neck capital of the World.

TexasBred":2rjnwzoz said:
JMJ Farms":2rjnwzoz said:
"You guys in Georgia" Painting with a broad brush ain't you? I'm far from brain dead at this point. However my brain can not comprehend how, in this case, a black person today can hold a white person today responsible for actions that took place over a century ago. No one who participated in those events is still alive or had anything to do with it. Everyone today is free. Some just use the history of slavery as an excuse for being an underachiever.

I stand by my original statement. Right or wrong people who get their feelings hurt over a word/words have a chip on their shoulder. Can't hold on to the past forever. Not condoning it, simply saying the effects are exaggerated.

Then it shouldn't bother any of you to get rid of all the confederate battle flags and monuments and put them in a museum where they belong. ;-) It's as much the flag of a foreign nation as that of Mexico which pizzes off just about everybody who sees one in the US today. If you must fly a confederate flag fly the offical flag of he CSA and not the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia??? Becuase you know the official flag would not offend anyone that's why !!!!

Ok let's take it a step further why is there a statue to a foreign invader in this country.
There are statues to Pancho Villia in Arizona and New Mexico.
The one in NM celebrated his 1916 raid into the USA. Just because you do not respect there beliefs doesn't mean the majority of southerns share your view

A fellow was on the 10 year plan at A&M. Finally set Ol Bubba up on graduation day with the " if you get this one right Bubba you graduate question." What is 2+2? After a moment of angst Bubba says 4!
The whole crowd in horror begins to chant " give him another chance! Give him another chance! ;/

Latest posts