Keeping the road from rolling up

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
The last six days have brutal. Thursday of last week went around the pasture checking fence; that took four hours to drive. I ended up catching a head cold. Sunday went back to the ranch to set up a corral to mother up the cows after off loading from the truck. Today hauled cows to the ranch; tore down the corral and hauled the portable loading chute back to the ranch. Loaded up my panels and brought them home. Left my stock trailer at the ranch. Starting to feel a bit better other a cough. On Friday I need to drive down the Utah to pick up a bull, get him home and branding. Sunday load up all the bulls and back to the ranch I go.

Wind has been a bastard most of May and dry as a popcorn fart around here. Maybe 50% of usual forage production. Drought Monitor had us in the D0 zone last week. It has to be getting into D1 or D2. They are always about a month behind on their classifications. We left a lot of feed on our leases last year. It is paying off right now, but if no monsoon rain in July we will have to many cows. Last year we didn't have enough cows.

Wind has been a bastard most of May and dry as a popcorn fart around here. Maybe 50% of usual forage production. Drought Monitor had us in the D0 zone last week. It has to be getting into D1 or D2. They are always about a month behind on their classifications. We left a lot of feed on our leases last year. It is paying off right now, but if no monsoon rain in July we will have to many cows. Last year we didn't have enough cows.
All that moisture when through Montana. I could not believe how green it was around Billings a couple weeks ago. So far the grass is looking pretty good at the ranch, but we do need some rains to keep it green.

Montana and Dakotas have been getting all the low pressure systems. We have been at the southern side of the lows and all we get is wind out of those. Been hauling to my summer lease pastures this week. Looks like August or worse. What is sort of green doesn't have much to it. Cows have been just hammering salt and mineral.

Latest posts