Serious Social Question: Is "White Trash" the same thing as the N word?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, we will always have the poor among us because we have too many who do not want to help themselves. It is easier to wait on a handout. I know a lot of these people in lines to get free school supplies could afford to buy them. We are teaching children at a young age that everything will be free. That is wrong. They need to be taught to work for the things that they need and want.
Help those who really need it, but we are trying to hand it out to everybody. Children in my county get three meals a day free. What do the parents do with the money given to buy food for these children? Most of them will have a dollar a day to buy a snack at school.
Some people you just cannot help. I have seen them all of my life.

alisonb":3vbj9tuw said:
JWBrahman":3vbj9tuw said:
Is this a term offensive to women?
It would seem it is to some...perhaps their understanding of 'White Trash' differs to yours and mine. As a woman It would certainly not offend me...trash is trash.

Thank you, Alison.

kenny thomas":39gq70k4 said:
Who considers KY a southern state?
I was raised very poor, we had no running water or inside bathroom until I was in college. But we worked every day very hard to live and never ask for a handout and never took one. We didn't lay on our azz and wait for a check to get here. We ate and lived but had no extras. I am very proud of what my family has done. But there are those here that have never and never will work a day. We as workers and taxpayers keep them fat and sassy. They have the votes just as we do but there is getting to be too many of them. They are the WHITE TRASH. For me its not black or white, red or yellow. Its trying hard or being a deadbeat.

KT, it is south of the Mason Dixon line. Kentucky plays in the SEC, that has to be significant.

Kentucky and Virginia were one colony if I remember correctly. They were divided before Kentucky became a Commonwealth. If you check regional geographics, Kentucky falls in the Southeast.

I watched a video the other day about a black woman who was outraged at being checked after writing a check and the white woman in front of her wasnt...I was outraged that she said, White Privilege, is why she was checked. Uh, like just because a person is white, they're never checked...She used this name, and even told her 10 yr old daughter that word and i'm sure she uses it often.
My daughter was pulled out at walmart yesterday as she walked out the door and had everything in her basked checked. She was buying things for her class with a school card....Where was her white privilege? This is never done at our walmart so it was kind of weird. But did she throw a fit....no, she stood there and took it. Did she pull out her white privilege card to get a pass, no she stood there and took it.

This is what I got when I Googled Southern States

24o3tw3.png

greybeard":3qxduvl4 said:
I suppose we will always have the poor among us.

The funny part is I was referring to a woman who was not poor. She used her position of trust to steal. Our paper has stories like that at least twice a week. I don't think the woman who chastised me is poor, either.

Dun probably nailed it. All she heard was "trash" and thought I was using a disparaging term like slut or whore.

inyati13":16efe2kb said:
This is what I got when I Googled Southern States

24o3tw3.png
Guess it depends on what criteria they are using if I remember my history right WV spilt off from Viginia to fight for the north. Maryland fought for the north but federal troops gunned down pro southern civilians in Baltimore as it was divided on allegiance as well.

kenny thomas":118f5yiq said:
I was raised very poor, we had no running water or inside bathroom until I was in college. But we worked every day very hard to live and never ask for a handout and never took one. We didn't lay on our azz and wait for a check to get here. We ate and lived but had no extras. I am very proud of what my family has done. But there are those here that have never and never will work a day. We as workers and taxpayers keep them fat and sassy. They have the votes just as we do but there is getting to be too many of them. They are the WHITE TRASH. For me its not black or white, red or yellow. Its trying hard or being a deadbeat.

I could have written that!!!

We took a bath once a week with a wash pan and wash cloth. Our sheets were washed once a month. They were stained brown from the soil that rubbed off our bodies. There were soil stains around our ears and hairline, mud rivulets from sweat running down our necks. Ankles were shadowed with soil. I had crusty dirt around my ankles at the top of my bogan shoes. I thought all that was normal. We did brush our teeth. No candy, no store bought beverages. If someone brought a banana or fruit, the frenzy was like shark week. I am the only one who had a fantasy that I could go to college. Dad fought with me for a year saying I could not go. My brother told me recently he wanted to go but he saw what I went through with Dad and said he didn't want to bear that pain. When I left, Dad had nothing to do with me. He would not sign my NDSL application for financial aid until mom laid the law down that he had to. She was the only person who ever told my dad what to do. I rarely went home. I was asked many times why I never went home. I joked that "would you leave the copacabana to stay at the Super 8.

inyati13":3mhhtm27 said:
Kentucky plays in the SEC, that has to be significant.

Well that solves it right there....wait a minute Missouri plays in the sec too and they aren't labeled as southeast one your map. What you have there is a kentucky sympathizer map.

inyati13":1jb26tmz said:
kenny thomas":1jb26tmz said:

We took a bath once a week with a wash pan and wash cloth. Our sheets were washed once a month. They were stained brown from the soil that rubbed off our bodies. There were soil stains around our ears and hairline, mud rivulets from sweat running down our necks. Ankles were shadowed with soil. I had crusty dirt around my ankles at the top of my bogan shoes. I thought all that was normal. We did brush our teeth. No candy, no store bought beverages. If someone brought a banana or fruit, the frenzy was like shark week. I am the only one who had a fantasy that I could go to college. Dad fought with me for a year saying I could not go. My brother told me recently he wanted to go but he saw what I went through with Dad and said he didn't want to bear that pain. When I left, Dad had nothing to do with me. He would not sign my NDSL application for financial aid until mom laid the law down that he had to. She was the only person who ever told my dad what to do. I rarely went home. I was asked many times why I never went home. I joked that "would you leave the copacabana to stay at the Super 8.

I haven't heard brogan shoes in decades :lol:
Remember walking to church with my grandma every time the doors opened, she had an old model t for some reason we walked.
Not to insult anyone when I got an earache as a lad I remember her catching a bessy bug to put the juice in my ear with a lock of N hair.
Black lady she knew was walking to the store and she ask her for a lock of hair. Cured the ear ache now if that ain't country I'll kiss your a$$.

TennesseeTuxedo":3te9hsvo said:
Kentucky plays basketball in the SEC, I have no idea where, or if, they play football.

Been checking. Looks like no one claims Kentucky.

Not north, not Midwest, not south.

I guess it stands alone.

BTW: when the Bear was at KY, Rupp was becoming a force. Two personalities that could not reside at the same Institution. If Rupp had left instead of the Bear, you would reverse that statement.

inyati13":3utga47k said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3utga47k said:
Kentucky plays basketball in the SEC, I have no idea where, or if, they play football.

I guess it stands alone

That's surprising. I thought it laid down under a shade tree somewhere waiting for a handout.... ;-) :hide:

Caustic Burno":2vot4qci said:
inyati13":2vot4qci said:
kenny thomas":2vot4qci said:

I haven't heard brogan shoes in decades :lol:
Remember walking to church with my grandma every time the doors opened, she had an old model t for some reason we walked.
Not to insult anyone when I got an earache as a lad I remember her catching a bessy bug to put the juice in my ear with a lock of N hair.
Black lady she knew was walking to the store and she ask her for a lock of hair. Cured the ear ache now if that ain't country I'll kiss your a$$.

No, that is country! Sorry. I got the spelling wrong. You are correct - brogan shoes also called clodhoppers.

Brogan was a cheap leather ankle high lace up shoe. No liner. No insole. Slick rubber sole. Last one summer and the sole would come loose.

bball":dk3ir6pu said:
inyati13":dk3ir6pu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":dk3ir6pu said:

I guess it stands alone

That's surprising. I thought it laid down under a shade tree somewhere waiting for a handout.... ;-) :hide:

I never laid in the shade! I went from White Trash to a Prince. :D

Times were different. Most kids I knew growing up had one pair of shoes, those brown suede Earth shoes.

If anything saying white trash back then was worse. We were poor enough for free lunch, food stamps and welfare but my parents were too proud to accept it. My mother didn't want other ladies seeing her buy food with food stamps.

JWBrahman":2j9nas14 said:
Times were different. Most kids I knew growing up had one pair of shoes, those brown suede Earth shoes.

If anything saying white trash back then was worse. We were poor enough for free lunch, food stamps and welfare but my parents were too proud to accept it. My mother didn't want other ladies seeing her buy food with food stamps.

That kind of pride is sadly becoming less and less common.

JWBrahman":2bjc7fjg said:

There was no food stamps back in the fifties only commodities cheese butter rice and any other commodities the government bought to keep some farmer in business and lessen the hurt. We eat a lot of oatmeal, black eyed peas. corn and sweet potatoes in about any way they could be cooked. No use going to the frig for a late night snack, nothing there. You could sell eggs to the local grocery that kept enough money coming in to buy staples. My father started growing and selling watermelons about 1952. Buyers from Chicago and New York buying. This got us on our feet pretty well. 1953 my father closed the books at the end of watermelon season with a little over $11000 in the bank. He bought Mom a new car for $1100. Then he built a double four flat dairy barn to sell grade A milk. And as George Jefferson would say we were moving on up.

Latest posts