Red hide vs black hide cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Hey guys, taking the next step on my composite. Wondering what are the pros and cons of red hide and black hide cattle. Whatever composite I create will be homozygous black or homozygous red (if you can get that). I was going to go with homozygous black cattle in my composite but want to look at reds as well. Anyone have any reading I could do on this?

you might think about red poll and red gelbveih i would think it would make a great composit.

angusdave63":1krlvl1h said:
you might think about red poll and red gelbveih i would think it would make a great composit.

That would be a great start but doesn't a composite need more than 2 breeds.

3waycross":333w70he said:
angusdave63":333w70he said:

That would be a great start but doesn't a composite need more than 2 breeds.
Nope, but it can have a lot more. Semantics again

Perhaps not as big an issue where you are, but the biggest difference is black cattle are significantly more affected by heat stress when exposed to sun. Which stress begins at just 70 degrees F.

And red is more attractive.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/extensi ... eef-cattle

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/Cattlemen ... 0study.pdf

Producers with the nonshaded
lots reported highest death loss in dark-hided
cattle. Thirty out of 36 producers indicated higher death
loss in black cattle and the other six producers
indicated higher death loss with red cattle and had no
black cattle on feed. One producer indicated only 20%
of the cattle in the pen were black, but 80% of the
death loss was black cattle.

djinwa":1ar5uwb5 said:
Perhaps not as big an issue where you are, but the biggest difference is black cattle are significantly more affected by heat stress when exposed to sun. Which stress begins at just 70 degrees F.

Breed figures in as well. Brangus have 3/8 brahman blood. They handle heat very well, but they have the adaptations of the brahman....more developed and highly functional sweat glands, thick skin, longer ears.... they'll find a water hole in the heat of the day just like any other cow with any sense but they'll also do well in the heat of the south. Put'em in a pasture with a herd of white cows and they'll equal or exceed the performance of them.

TennesseeTuxedo":2f6ehlu9 said:
TB, what's their ability to handle cold weather like? I'm thinking not too good.

Thanks
There are brangus operations in your area TT...they can handle cold but I doubt they would thrive in the extreme cold of places like montana the Dakotas and Canada. Might do a little checking on it. Mine always put on long hair in the winter but not as thick or long as Angus.

When my time finally comes to get more involved in the business TB remember that my cattle will be about 250 miles further north of where I am now. Just south of Cincinnati, OH in fact. Gets pretty cold there in December and January.

Latest posts