rain part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
We've gotten 2" in the last hour. This won't be pretty.
monmorn_zpsl7xovlzf.jpg

Just saw on weather areas around LaGrange has gotten over 10 inches, doing rescues, hwy 71 major route from Austin to Houston closed.

I dunno dun--as bad as it flooded here last month, it was all runoff from the river from a couple counties North of here--we didn't have any local stuff then. The same system that's dropping water on me now, is also streaming right across the upper part of the river's watershed, and there's no relief in sight for the next couple days. We are now at 8.48" since 1am this morning, according to PWS KTXCLEVE8, which is located 6 miles from me.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... E8#history

64.9 °F
Feels Like 64.9 °F
4.0 mph
Wind from ENE
Gusts 4.9 mph
Dew Point: 57 °F
Humidity: 76%
Precip Rate: 1.49 in/hr
Precip Accum: 8.48 in
Pressure: 29.73 in

Daylight may show me something I really don't want to see.

at 432 am CDT... Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated
thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. 4 to 7
inches of rain have fallen with areas of 6 to 16 inches of
rainfall. Flash flooding is on going.

I'm pretty close to you Grey and some areas around me have had almost 15" overnight. Water is about 20' from the house. Not too worried about the ranch house - it sits atop a hill. Cattle will be OK unless we have a 40 day/40 night type of rain.

I'm not complaining, but we have been fortunate. So far we haven't gotten the deluge many have. I haven't been out to check the gauge bu I'd guess a couple inches.

Glad I don't have plans to bale hay too......

Hope I don't pay for braggin. But we got around 2" since Saturday night. All drawn out slow soaking rains. Couldn't ask for better.
That long train of storms south of Austin is moving real slow. If it gets on you your going get to much. Hope everyone comes out ok.

We were stuck at home most of the day. Creek got low enough around 4 p.m. to get out. Got across and was barricaded with "High Water" postings by the county. Took the wife to the espress care clinic for sinus infection. Got a few groceries and got back in, going around the barricade. Only a little water this a.m. and the barricades were still in place.

The creek is not out of banks yet but close. Look for it to go over the road in the next hour. Train is about here.
This area got up to 20 inches a month ago.

Caustic Burno":1skuc063 said:
The creek is not out of banks yet but close. Look for it to go over the road in the next hour. Train is about here.
This area got up to 20 inches a month ago.
It's all about perspective. Last september we got 10 inches in 2 days and felt like we had gotten adequate. Haven;t had diddly squat since then.

Dun we are used to rain here with 60 inches a year average.
We are not used to being on track for 100 inches or better this year.
Scary part is we got over a 100 inches in 04 then started going in and out of drought.

Well, we trapped in for now, but it's slacked off a lot. Normally got 3 ways off this property by pickup, all 3 are running a foot or more water and I can't tell what's under it. Sure wished I had went to town last night and got milk and bread.
Thankfully (and surprisingly) the electricity is still on.

Got over 5" in 6 hours. Just before it hit, I found a hole on one end of the place where a cow and three calves got out. Now have a water gap washed out at the other end. Cows are on the oat field in the middle until I can get a tractor in and get one or the other fixed. When everything is going too good is when I get nervous.

Afloat--yes. Out of an abundance of caution and experience, we're spending the night in town til we see what's fixin to happen.
We got our break from it this afternoon, and hopefully just light stuff tonight. as able to get off the property around 1pm. When it had gotten daylight, I poured 6 1/2" out of the raingage, and it was chockablock full so I don't know how much actually fell during dark, but poured another 1 1/4" right before dark tonight.
River is already up tho--and out, broaching the northbound lane of the F-M road in front of the place. It'll likely be in my face by daylight.

My big problem earlier today was a washout over a crossing on my property. A washout caused by debris from the natl forest mostly plugging up a dual set of 36" culverts that run under my private road. Got the washout filled in with rock I keep just for that area -fixed enough anyway to get my wife's car across and up on the hill just inside the gate. She couldn't go anywhere tho, because high water on FM2025 between here and US 59, which is also closed both directions.
I sure miss San Angelo...

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but cows and calves are all in a good place

;-) Hoping your good greybeard. Saw the weather looks like you got hammered last night again.
We've had a good sheep and goat conversation this morning. Ain't been the same without ya. ;-)

Latest posts