Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess I needed it then. Got over 2" yesterday afternoon. A bit more last night, but cat knocked my gauge over..

More possible today.

Free water, in a town where there is no free water...

Over one inch around my place. Can't believe 2 to 3 more are forecast in the next 5 days days. If we get 4 to 5 more before October, gonna be lots of winter stockpile available.

Heard lots of people already got their winter wheat in before the rains. We took the risk of planting oats on August 25. Looking like a smart move so far.

Couldn't believe that oats cost 25$ per bag! Those they were playing me for a sucker at first…

Over one inch around my place. Can't believe 2 to 3 more are forecast in the next 5 days days. If we get 4 to 5 more before October, gonna be lots of winter stockpile available.

Heard lots of people already got their winter wheat in before the rains. We took the risk of planting oats on August 25. Looking like a smart move so far.

Couldn't believe that oats cost 25$ per bag! Those they were playing me for a sucker at first…
Still a bit early for oats imo. I've planted this early before but had to spray worms twice every time I do. I think the stockpile will disappoint lots of folks. The stressed grass imo will tend to put up a stem and seed head with little growth. I picked up oats yesterday at 37.00 per cwt. IMG_20220831_082404.jpg

I finally got enough yesterday to do some real good. I got enough about 1-1/2 weeks ago to brighten the grass up a little, but it was already turning brown again.

Still a bit early for oats imo. I've planted this early before but had to spray worms twice every time I do. I think the stockpile will disappoint lots of folks. The stressed grass imo will tend to put up a stem and seed head with little growth. I picked up oats yesterday at 37.00 per cwt. View attachment 20674
Our oats mainly for food plots, but we graze as well. Never seen worms get them on my place, but possible, I guess. Still had lots of ungrazed semi-green stuff left over when rains hit, so hoping will grow enough to not feed hay. Tubs are a constant through drought and winter on our place, so lower quality stockpile not as big of a deal, either. Still think seed prices are out of control. Happy planting.

I think the stockpile will disappoint lots of folks. The stressed grass imo will tend to put up a stem and seed head with little growth.
Yes, plants under stress put all their effort into reproduction, seed production vs growth for the species to survive.

Rolling soybeans early in growth stage limits plant height here in Mn, shortens plant height, but boy do they ever set pods, adds several bushels per acre. I don't know who came up with the idea, because you'd think stressing plants in that manner would have opposite effect, but rolling soybeans really increases seed production.

p.s.
they look like crap for a couple of weeks after rolling and the first time you do it
you'll say, oh no, what have I done! :) lol

Last edited:
Yes, plants under stress put all their effort into reproduction, seed production vs growth for the species to survive.
I saw this back in East Texas in 2011's drought. The oak trees were in terrible shape but put on a huge crop of acorns that year, especially the White Oaks. Huge acorns. One last stab at reproduction. The ground crunched underfoot while deer and squirrels feasted.
(most recovered to some extent but many of those were dead at the tops and have never really been the same since)

It's like someone flipped a switch around middle of August. We went from dry, brown, dead looking crunchy grass to green growing grass and now had so much rain some of the grass is starting to turn yellow.
DSC00170.JPG

I got another 1"+ yesterday afternoon late and it came quick and ugly. Looking ENE from Cove.

DSC00162.JPG

Yesterday was a repeat of the day before with a twist... Less than 1" of rain but it brought a friend.
Hail.
just small stuff but sure turned the air cool.

I'm kinda afraid to see what happens today.

It's like someone flipped a switch around middle of August. We went from dry, brown, dead looking crunchy grass to green growing grass and now had so much rain some of the grass is starting to turn yellow.
View attachment 20776

I got another 1"+ yesterday afternoon late and it came quick and ugly. Looking ENE from Cove.

View attachment 20778
I'm here NW of Ft Worth. Pasture was dead but I went ahead and spread 300 lbs of UAN twodays before the rains started. We've had nearly five inches here since then. I wasn't expecting the quick turnaround. Now I have lots of tall and thick bermuda and nothing to graze it. I guess it's time to buy someone's spring calves, if they don't think they are made of gold.

Latest posts