A Little Story about a small part of my life.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
When you get old and in your twilight years you get to thinking about your youth. In 1950 I was 9 years old. My cousin lived about 300 yards down the road from me. Even at the young age we would prowl the banks of Little Caney Creek which is now in Lake Fork. Nothing to leave out with the dogs and be in the woods all day long our folks I quess did not worry about us. If they did they did not let on. For fishing tackle we had some string from a laying mash sack you could find string because my mother kept all of it. Then a cork out of my grandmothers snuff bottle. A hook or two with some lead we removed from the roofing nails on the barn. No pole as we would cut a green switch cane for pole. We always had a pocket knife and some times a hatchet. To use that tackle you would cut a slit in the snuff bottle cork to slid it on the line. You would find anything you could for bait find a nice pool of water with a mossy bank and start fishing. Cherry bream and large as your hand, a goggle eye every now and then. We were sport fishermen back then as we did not keep any of the fish. We could catch the top water minnows with nothing but a pole and some more of the laying mash string. Just rub the string about an inch from the end with a fat pork rind and lay the string on the water where the minnows were and they would swallow the string and you could pull them out. We also knew where every good huckleberry trees were and every hickory tree with good hickory nuts. Here I am going on eighty two year old and James one year behind. I retired as an aircraft engineer and James an Air Force three star general. Both of us get together and talk and agree we grew up in the best of times. What both of us would give to have a week as young lads on Little Caney Creek. Just wish my great grand kids could experience my child hood.

You're a little younger than my oldest brother.
Mine couldn't handle it.
There city mom's would have an aneurysm just thinking about their baby in the woods with a Remington speedmaster or Winchester Model 12.
I started on that speedmaster at 7, lot of old fox squirrels met their demise .
That old speedmaster is still with me.

Well, you old fart - you're older than me!!! Born in 1947, in the city - Pawtucket, R.I. Fortunately, my Mom's family all camped out on a lake for the summer. Fished all the time. We were lucky, we had a row boat. Probably one of my uncles. I would take the flashlight out most nights and get a can of night crawlers. I was one of the best at catching them - still am!!! I would sneak off before daylight, sneak into cousin's "home" and cover his mouth & wake him up. Off we would go. I was a tomboy. Always was, still am.
Loved your story.

That sounds like a very good memory to look back on. I am close to 62 years old about 20 years behind you. When I was 5 years old the core of engineers were building a dam on the Arkansas river. There were no motor boats on the river at that time only a few home made wood boats. They were left on the bank of the river tied to a tree to keep the boat from drifting away. Those wood boats would seep water in them all of the time so their owners would leave a tin can in them so that they could bail the water out of them before they could use the boat.

The river channel at that time wind around like a snake and was maybe a 100 yards wide at some of its widest places and 10 foot deep in the deepest spots. It was a spectacular place to hunt and fish. During that time is when the core of engineers began dredging the river channel to straighten the river out so that barges could travel the river. The navigation channel averages around 100 yards wide and 25 foot deep this day and time.

There were no boat ramps, wasn't no need for one. No one had a factory made boat and trailer. There were no bass tournaments. I was probably 8 years old before I ever saw a aluminum motor boat.

They used to always grow along my west boundary fence line next to the Nat Forest. I had to keep them cut back with my Stihl brushcutter blade so they wouldn't cover the fence. Full sun most of the day so they didn't get more than a few feet tall.

When you get old and in your twilight years you get to thinking about your youth. In 1950 I was 9 years old. My cousin lived about 300 yards down the road from me. Even at the young age we would prowl the banks of Little Caney Creek which is now in Lake Fork. Nothing to leave out with the dogs and be in the woods all day long our folks I quess did not worry about us. If they did they did not let on. For fishing tackle we had some string from a laying mash sack you could find string because my mother kept all of it. Then a cork out of my grandmothers snuff bottle. A hook or two with some lead we removed from the roofing nails on the barn. No pole as we would cut a green switch cane for pole. We always had a pocket knife and some times a hatchet. To use that tackle you would cut a slit in the snuff bottle cork to slid it on the line. You would find anything you could for bait find a nice pool of water with a mossy bank and start fishing. Cherry bream and large as your hand, a goggle eye every now and then. We were sport fishermen back then as we did not keep any of the fish. We could catch the top water minnows with nothing but a pole and some more of the laying mash string. Just rub the string about an inch from the end with a fat pork rind and lay the string on the water where the minnows were and they would swallow the string and you could pull them out. We also knew where every good huckleberry trees were and every hickory tree with good hickory nuts. Here I am going on eighty two year old and James one year behind. I retired as an aircraft engineer and James an Air Force three star general. Both of us get together and talk and agree we grew up in the best of times. What both of us would give to have a week as young lads on Little Caney Creek. Just wish my great grand kids could experience my child hood.
Good times JD

"44 model here. Enjoyed your story @hurleyjd. Very similar to the type of entertainment we practiced. No problem with the 2nd amendment then. We probably had no more than 25-30 cars and trucks in the student parking lot, many with a gun hanging behind the seat. Yeh, we didn't all have our own shiny new vehicle as today. Some of us were perfectly happy to have an old bomb, as long as it ran. We waxed around the rust holes. But i regress......We also were free to roam and explore the surrounding countryside. I don't remember having to tell my Mother my agenda for the day. She just said be home before dark.
We just had our 60th HS graduation reunion and there was not a criminal in the bunch that was well represented by Lawyers, doctors and business owners. We turned out well for getting a large portion of our education by trial and error on our own, but the teachers back then made sure to teach us the three R's for a base to build on. I feel fortunate to have lived thru a large portion of the industrial revolution. Grandkids can't comprehend that our first phone was on the wall and the operator had to connect you with the other party. Now we have a computer in our shirt pocket
Speaking with an old friend of mine last week and we both agreed that we lived thru the best times and the children of the future will have nothing to compare it with. We were fortunate!

Latest posts