Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis":33vvvvhw said:
Some of you are acting like we're seeing $.90 5 weights again. Let's face it, even with a substantial drop we're still a lot better than 6-7 years ago. Anyone selling out now was destined to lose.
I agree , its a long haul process prices are still good. Some folks just want something to bytch about

kenny thomas":ukq2lvxk said:
Not sure why but feeder futures went up $4.50 today. That should make some people feel better. It does me.

I feel better, hopefully Wednesday's sale will reflect the futures increase. I'm still trying to make my mind up whether to sell now or hold them till spring. I have plenty of hay, but I can also sell my best hay for $50. a roll. I believe I'm money ahead to sell now, and sell the extra hay.

Prices went up some through the day today at Abingdon it seemed. I was glad that I sold my yearlings in July though, and also glad I didn't load up on anything to graze this spring. I did pick up some plainer 4wts for good prices today far enough back of the money to not lose.

M.Magis":2d65whwo said:
Some of you are acting like we're seeing $.90 5 weights again. Let's face it, even with a substantial drop we're still a lot better than 6-7 years ago. Anyone selling out now was destined to lose.
So true. My FIL reminded me that 8 years ago I told him that it would be so awesome if we could average $600/hd (these were 7 weights). I have bought a few of the $2500 heifers over the last year or so, but the vast majority of our cows I bought for $1000 or less 8 or 9 years ago. At the time I felt like I was overpaying for these..

I have been trying decide what to do with prices slipping and now suspect that we may see the price go sideways for awhile. So I'm going to sell half the calves on the 15th or 22nd of October and feed the other half through the winter and see what prices are in the Spring. For the most part it's like going to Vegas and putting a quarter in the one-arm-bandit to see if it pays out or takes my $$$. Either way is a gamble, but if it was easy everybody would be cattle ranchers. :lol:

Calf prices around here seem to have sold off more percentage wise than the futures have. I saw some pretty nice 6 weight heifers go through at $1.50 this week. It looks like quite a few people are rushing calves to market and buyer demand has backed off. It may be costly but I'm going to watch and wait a few more weeks and see how it shakes out with the the 15 that I have that are ready. A good rain and some cooler weather would sure make my decision easier. My county (Limestone) is back in the extreme drought category.

A 60 cent drop on 150 head of 5 weights is $45000. I consider that concerning.

C-Ranch":2zcnll8x said:
I have been trying decide what to do with prices slipping and now suspect that we may see the price go sideways for awhile. So I'm going to sell half the calves on the 15th or 22nd of October and feed the other half through the winter and see what prices are in the Spring. For the most part it's like going to Vegas and putting a quarter in the one-arm-bandit to see if it pays out or takes my $$$. Either way is a gamble, but if it was easy everybody would be cattle ranchers. :lol:

When the prices we highest, it seems like everybody was trying to be cattle ranchers...not so much now. :lol:

bball":35slb4io said:
C-Ranch":35slb4io said:

When the prices we highest, it seems like everybody was trying to be cattle ranchers...not so much now. :lol:
Usually very few people raise heifers to sell here. This year there are a few hundred around.They think they still want 3,000 but will probably grab 2,000 if they can get it. A couple of them have no plan to feed them past fall so they will sell whatever the price.

Brentp":1nnnnkh0 said:
Prices went up some through the day today at Abingdon it seemed. I was glad that I sold my yearlings in July though, and also glad I didn't load up on anything to graze this spring. I did pick up some plainer 4wts for good prices today far enough back of the money to not lose.

Did they have any breed cows or pairs there ? What did they bring.

There were some decent stock cows in the $1,000-1,200 range, mostly by the pound. Some head cows cheaper than that and some more. I didn't see any pairs but I was in and out while they were selling the head cows.

kenny thomas":3rbagns6 said:
bball":3rbagns6 said:
C-Ranch":3rbagns6 said:

Usually very few people raise heifers to sell here. This year there are a few hundred around.They think they still want 3,000 but will probably grab 2,000 if they can get it. A couple of them have no plan to feed them past fall so they will sell whatever the price.

I have a neighbor that bought 40 head of bred heifers in May at a cost of $3,000 a HD. I about died when he told me what he had paid and told him he better hope prices stay up or be prepared to eat beans and rice. He seemed fairly confident we would see even higher prices than last year (2014), I'm sure he is sweating bullets about now.

C-Ranch":1ulzmlta said:
I have a neighbor that bought 40 head of bred heifers in May at a cost of $3,000 a HD. I about died when he told me what he had paid and told him he better hope prices stay up or be prepared to eat beans and rice. He seemed fairly confident we would see even higher prices than last year (2014), I'm sure he is sweating bullets about now.

I had about 10-12 different row crop guys approach me within the last year about diving into the cattle. My advice was ease in slowly...market is at a high, typically not best time to buy, but if you must, go easy and slow. A few listened, most didnt. One fella just told me last week he loaded up on a dozen commercial bred heifers for $3200/hd. Just shook my head.

bball":lxaegbi9 said:
C-Ranch":lxaegbi9 said:

I had about 10-12 different row crop guys approach me within the last year about diving into the cattle. My advice was ease in slowly...market is at a high, typically not best time to buy, but if you must, go easy and slow. A few listened, most didnt. One fella just told me last week he loaded up on a dozen commercial bred heifers for $3200/hd. Just shook my head.

At 3200 a head he lost his shirt be hard to make a 2500 dollar heifer pencil out through her production cycle.
I would have to go back and dig it up last forecast I read on replacements max was like 2200 to pencil out.
You would have nearly 4K in 3200 dollar heifers before you got the first calf out of one.

Thursday there was about 100 bred heifers. Red and black angus. Real good cattle, bred to calving ease bulls for February/March calves. Some guy who lost all his range in the fires was selling them. The reds brought $1400 and the blacks $1450-$1475. I am sure glad I contracted my heifers back in June.

We've been buying some feeder steers in the 550-600 range for about a month here in Louisiana. 4 weeks ago they were costing $2.00-$2.08. Bought 50 last week that avged 592 and cost $1.71. Guess all that left to do is keep buying to get the average down and keep my fingers crossed. lol

Latest posts