Commercial Bull prices.

Help Support CattleToday:

Was at the stockyards yesterday and a couple of bulls went through. There has been moderate drought conditions north of me and this area is hurting... They were thinner than they should have been and they brought over $1.00 a lb.... 2 should have had 2-400 more pounds on their frame... weighing in the 1100-1400 lb size there... ]
Saw alot of 1/2 dairy 1/2 beef young cows that were scarecrows....must have had calves as some had small udders, and calves pulled off to sell.... bringing in the $.30-.60 range... If I had the farm on my own, I would have bought a bunch, put on feed for 60-90 days and put 2-500 lbs on them and made some money at just pound prices, right after the first of the year; but that is not the direction my son wants to go... Most brought $300-500 each....600 to 900 lbs were all they weighed.... They would be worth 3x that just getting some meat back on their very thin bodies... Good grass alone would have had them gaining fast... but if they could have gotten some of the silage we have stockpiled. they would have hit a homerun....

Prices were off some... most cull cows were in the 70's to 90's for good ones... 20's to 60's for the rest. Calves were as high as 2.80 but most in the 2.20's to 2.50 range..mostly 350-550 weights.... 6-800 lbs were in the 2.10-2.25 range...heifers were mostly in the 2.00-2.30 range for anything under 600lbs... I sold 2 bigger heifers that weren't bred... 1 a charolais that came back in heat again, a bought heifer... nice flesh... 1.34/900 lbs.... 1 out of my "longhorn ornament" that was checked preg and then no calf.... weighed 700 and brought 1.05...she was pushing 4 and we had held her to calve this spring (aug born) and was looking good, then all of a sudden she was thinner... didn't find a calf... and no udder... so slipped it for whatever reason or it was born dead or something... but not producing so time to be gone. Her momma just had another calf this spring... 4th calf in 3 1/2 years.... backed up from first calf in Aug to present calf born March... and last year was a set of twins.... bull was taken out this past year and then put back in so she won't be able to back up any more...

Quality on calves is not as good as could be, with the drought conditions in central and northern areas of Va..... and many have already been sold off.... we sold the lesser quality of ours and they did okay considering what they were. Kept the better ones as we have silage to feed and waiting for the glut of fall sales to be over and the #'s of cattle over the country to get settled to see what things will do. Not sure if I agree with son, but that is where he is at... I would have sold some earlier... but it is what it is...

Maybe I should get into a partnership with @kenny thomas and see if we could make a little money....

Is there a high demand for non-registered purebred bulls in your areas? What kind of prices are you all seeing for this type of bulls where your at?
March will be the third annual production sale for my best friend. No papers, buyers don't seem to care. Top bull was $5,100 top pairs were $3,700. Last year.

Seems like there's always some folks that want a cheaper end bull and so there may be at least a limited market for an unregistered bull.
I've used a few unregistered bulls, and currently one of my bulls is a home raised commercial bull.
Thing is I've raised all of my commercial bulls and never bought any of them and so I kinda know what they will do. When I buy a bull, I want a purebred registered bull.

Saw alot of 1/2 dairy 1/2 beef young cows that were scarecrows....must have had calves as some had small udders, and calves pulled off to sell.... bringing in the $.30-.60 range... If I had the farm on my own, I would have bought a bunch, put on feed for 60-90 days and put 2-500 lbs on them and made some money at just pound prices, right after the first of the year; but that is not the direction my son wants to go... Most brought $300-500 each....600 to 900 lbs were all they weighed.... They would be worth 3x that just getting some meat back on their very thin bodies... Good grass alone would have had them gaining fast... but if they could have gotten some of the silage we have stockpiled. they would have hit a homerun....
There's a lot of ways to make money and THAT is one of them...

Was at the stockyards yesterday and a couple of bulls went through. There has been moderate drought conditions north of me and this area is hurting... They were thinner than they should have been and they brought over $1.00 a lb.... 2 should have had 2-400 more pounds on their frame... weighing in the 1100-1400 lb size there... ]

Prices were off some... most cull cows were in the 70's to 90's for good ones... 20's to 60's for the rest. Calves were as high as 2.80 but most in the 2.20's to 2.50 range..mostly 350-550 weights.... 6-800 lbs were in the 2.10-2.25 range...heifers were mostly in the 2.00-2.30 range for anything under 600lbs... I sold 2 bigger heifers that weren't bred... 1 a charolais that came back in heat again, a bought heifer... nice flesh... 1.34/900 lbs.... 1 out of my "longhorn ornament" that was checked preg and then no calf.... weighed 700 and brought 1.05...she was pushing 4 and we had held her to calve this spring (aug born) and was looking good, then all of a sudden she was thinner... didn't find a calf... and no udder... so slipped it for whatever reason or it was born dead or something... but not producing so time to be gone. Her momma just had another calf this spring... 4th calf in 3 1/2 years.... backed up from first calf in Aug to present calf born March... and last year was a set of twins.... bull was taken out this past year and then put back in so she won't be able to back up any more...

Quality on calves is not as good as could be, with the drought conditions in central and northern areas of Va..... and many have already been sold off.... we sold the lesser quality of ours and they did okay considering what they were. Kept the better ones as we have silage to feed and waiting for the glut of fall sales to be over and the #'s of cattle over the country to get settled to see what things will do. Not sure if I agree with son, but that is where he is at... I would have sold some earlier... but it is what it is...

Maybe I should get into a partnership with @kenny thomas and see if we could make a little money....
I had to sit on my hands yesterday to keep from bidding. My health isn't good and i dont have 1/2 the hay i usually have. Sold 20 calves yesterday, 12 more for next week, and 25 cows on November 9th. Then have a slaughter bull and a few old cows to sell when the rush is over.

I had to sit on my hands yesterday to keep from bidding. My health isn't good and i dont have 1/2 the hay i usually have. Sold 20 calves yesterday, 12 more for next week, and 25 cows on November 9th. Then have a slaughter bull and a few old cows to sell when the rush is over.
News on the situation from the food poisoning and subsequent tests????

Food poisoning was actually poisioning from a twisted or kinked bowel. Its kinda getting better but cant get things moving through good. Dont eat a lot so still weak. During the hospital stay they found some other problems including something in the heart. More tests on the 23rd and a visit to the heart dr.
I have slowed down a little. Worked 4 days last week for 47 hours and hauled calves Saturday.

Food poisoning was actually poisioning from a twisted or kinked bowel. Its kinda getting better but cant get things moving through good. Dont eat a lot so still weak. During the hospital stay they found some other problems including something in the heart. More tests on the 23rd and a visit to the heart dr.
I have slowed down a little. Worked 4 days last week for 47 hours and hauled calves Saturday.
Gotta watch those twisted bowels. Serious stuff. A spoonful of olive oil? Take care...

I know you have had some previous heart issues.... so prayers that this is just another "blip" on the screen.
MORE FIBER ???? get it moving through the bowel and stretch it back out straighter????

Maybe work at a job less and enjoy those cattle more???? That is what I am telling myself...
Jan, part of the problem is i like to work but the other problem is there is a shortage of workers here. I know your son works for VDOT so im sure he knows this. 2 weeks ago VDOT offered me 44.69 an hour and 67.04 after 8 hours to drive their truck when there is a chance of snow. Of course you know my answer. Every 12 hour shift is 1 more cow i wont have to keep this winter.

I'd just as soon pay less for a commercial bull as more for a registered bull as long as they both look good. I honestly haven't noticed much difference in yearling cattle from people running top EPD bulls to good quality commercial bulls. Junk bulls are another story, but I've seen junky registered bulls too.

People I bought bulls from for years on the coast didn't register their cattle. They held back what they thought were the best 24 bulls to sell as bulls. It started for them as a use our bulls and we will buy your calves program. They always kept a dozen Angus bulls and a dozen Simm/Angus bulls. They sold them by the pound for about $50 over what their steer brothers brought. Many of the Angus bulls were AI and they would tell you who the sire was. They had birth dates and weaning weights. Records on the cows. All of which they would show you. But no EPD or papers.

Latest posts