Baby calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Been looking around some for a baby calf or two to put on Maybell.
Haven't been to stockyards yet, but I understand they are selling for $500-700.
I've inquired about a couple on a KY cattle Facebook group. A two month old guernsey bull calf priced at $600 and a Brahman cross week old bull for $1500. I passed on both.

It's freaking crazy right now.
I felt fortunate to get one for Bessie at 475. And it ain't dairy. Good black heifer.

I had a call in to a sale barn for Mondays sale. And Tuesdays sale. No babies Monday.
They were supposed to have one Tuesday but I never got a call. (Doesn't surprise me really)

My favorite sale Thursday had plenty!

It's freaking crazy right now.
I felt fortunate to get one for Bessie at 475. And it ain't dairy. Good black heifer.

I had a call in to a sale barn for Mondays sale. And Tuesdays sale. No babies Monday.
They were supposed to have one Tuesday but I never got a call. (Doesn't surprise me really)

My favorite sale Thursday had plenty!
We used to have several dairies about 50-60 miles away and the stockyards in that area used to have as many as 200 calves at times. Not many dairies left around here within a couple hours now and most already have somebody getting all their calves. It's now just the luck of the draw random calf at about any yards. Sometimes they split a calf off of a cow to pound the cow out.
I'm expecting to have to pay 500 or better for a beef calf if I ever find one.
May be milking a cow for a while.

They had 3 baby calves at the sale yesterday. All solid blacks that look like Angus. $275, $300, & $315. When I had that one get washed away in the river I bought a Angus bull calf from a neighbor. He charged me $250. Kind of a small calf. He was a twin out of a heifer. But he is growing and running around like an idiot.

We used to have several dairies about 50-60 miles away and the stockyards in that area used to have as many as 200 calves at times. Not many dairies left around here within a couple hours now and most already have somebody getting all their calves. It's now just the luck of the draw random calf at about any yards. Sometimes they split a calf off of a cow to pound the cow out.
I'm expecting to have to pay 500 or better for a beef calf if I ever find one.
May be milking a cow for a while.
With current slaughter cow prices in the 1.35 range there will be lots of splits.

Latest posts