Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

A local sale sales a lot of cattle from the eastern TX Panhadle that was hit by the fires. I haven't noticed a significant increase in cow numbers at their sales. I was told by another barn manager they had 30 cows in their pens the night before their sale last week. They had I believe 90 come in the next morning. Many have decided too sell cows now that they are bringing around $1.50 a lb. Like I stated in other posts we plan too sell up to 30 head between now and fall if prices hold. Brought in a nice 4 y/o we will likely sell after 30-45 days on wheat. With cow prices so high it makes the decision to keep replacements and sell 10-12 y/o cows easier.

I couldn't get the article to load. But I can tell you that I like old cows. I'd rather have a replacement heifer from a cow over the age of ten than from anything younger.
If you click on the link... then go to the end and backspace off the "I" it will load... The I was supposed to be part of his statement, not part of the link.

I couldn't get the article to load. But I can tell you that I like old cows. I'd rather have a replacement heifer from a cow over the age of ten than from anything younger.
if im going to buy replacements id rather buy 5-6 yr old cows than i would heifers 5-6 yr old must be good to stay around, heifers u ll loose 4-5 heifers the first year where cows u might not loose any.

if im going to buy replacements id rather buy 5-6 yr old cows than i would heifers 5-6 yr old must be good to stay around, heifers u ll loose 4-5 heifers the first year where cows u might not loose any.
Yup, and the best way to insure that you retain heifers... if you do want to retain heifers... is to get them from proven producers (cows) that have proven themselves by outlasting the average in the herd. Those genetics are important because replacing animals has a cost. Culling has a cost. Retention, as long as animals are productive, has less cost.

Why would a person get rid of a good 5-6yr old cow? 🤔

If I am getting rid of a 5-6yr old some thing is wrong with her because she is in the prime of life.

If I am getting rid of a 5-6yr old some thing is wrong with her because she is in the prime of life.
I've the same thoughts.
Most 5 and 6 year olds that are sold, have a problem!

It's the OLD cows I like. They didn't get old by not doing their job!

I've the same thoughts.
Most 5 and 6 year olds that are sold, have a problem!

It's the OLD cows I like. They didn't get old by not doing their job!
A lot of people I know who keep replacements keep x amount per year, every year, no matter what. They roll the older cows out the back to make room for the newer ones at a certain age and there may be absolutely nothing wrong with the older cows. I know we have sold countless 10ish yr old cows that could easily give some one another 5 yrs.

Went and watched a sale for awhile yesterday. Prices were high. A 1,500# cow brought $159.00. Calves were high. Haven't been to one in awhile. From reports I've seen thought feeders were steady. Cow and bull prices are unbelievable. Not sure how high they will go.

Yesterday in Crockett. If I'm selling beef, I'm going to have to use my own-sheesh! I want to say their usual volume is about 3000 head, so their numbers are down.

Attachments

• 3778101F-0A9C-420A-88F6-8EABFD71A08E.png
    3778101F-0A9C-420A-88F6-8EABFD71A08E.png
    206.2 KB · Views: 21

I get rid of good cows like that all the time. I'm pasture limited so I can only keep the very best of the best. That age is a good age to know if they are premium or not. Doesn't mean they aren't good or that there's anything wrong with em. Maybe toe set isn't perfect. Maybe top line is a bit off. Maybe they wean a tick lower. Maybe bull calves are a tick more feminine. Maybe I just need to make room for some heifers I just really want to try…