Bred cow sale tomorrow

Help Support CattleToday:

Cool tee shirts.

I watched a sale in Montana last week . I thought bred cows were pretty soft. Basically $1/ pound plus $250 for the calf that they were carrying.

Cool tee shirts.

I watched a sale in Montana last week . I thought bred cows were pretty soft. Basically $1/ pound plus $250 for the calf that they were carrying.
Some areas don't have feed and fewer of us want to calve cows.

Top so far.. one package of 9 red heifers bred red, Feb 20 due date. $4150

LOL... and I remember 25 cents a pound... and $27 a ton hay delivered and stacked in the barn.
More heifers still going on feed than staying at home. I've lived through a few cycles myself and made money through them all.

I don't plan to buy any 4000 dollar cows but some have different situations. The ones today were additions to a 1700 cow herd that is owned by a big logging operation. I know the owner quite well.

More heifers still going on feed than staying at home. I've lived through a few cycles myself and made money through them all.
It's amazing to me how many don't work the cycles. They buy when the market is high and sell in a panic when the market tanks. But that's what makes money for those that sell high and buy low. Gotta always keep that core herd to balance out the extremes.

Today at La Grande it was a regular sale instead of the feeder sale they have been have every week. Regular sales they sell pairs and bred cows first. No pairs but 50 or 60 bred cows. I feel like I need to give my cows a treat when I got home. Broken and spread mouth cows 7 & 8 months bred sold for $1,700 + even with a few smooth mouth cows tossed into the groups. I am in to my cows a hair over $1,200. And I sure don't have $500 worth of feed into them. Quick and dirty figure I have $111.80 worth of hay per cow into them. It sure feels good when you guess the market right.