Cow sale tonight.

Help Support CattleToday:

We didn't sell down very much and only kept a couple extra heifers. They were worth too much in October so we sold them at $1400/had on average. We were feeding a half dozen steers a year and sold all of them because they averaged $1680 and we wanted the cash and no risk of loss. No regrets. Last year would have been the year to retain heifers and be selling breds now, but we were droughted out.

I sure guessed right this year. Figured after the first of the year bred cows would get expensive. I started early and bought 60 bred cows. Not all broken mouth cows. About a third of them are 8, 9, 10 year old full mouth cows. Right now they are 7 & 8 months bred. Averaged weighing 1,276. And I paid a touch over $1,200 a head. So today on the first sale of the year they had a lot of bred cows. They were selling them in drafts. Run 10 into the ring, sell them, the buyer has the option on the next 10. Saw 27 head of broken mouth black cows sell for $1,640. I watched 100+ head of BM cows sell for $1,550+. I fell like giving my cows some sort of extra treat (they wouldn't know what grain of any sort is). Maybe a few bales of alfalfa. Got to love it when a plan comes together.

I sure guessed right this year. Figured after the first of the year bred cows would get expensive. I started early and bought 60 bred cows. Not all broken mouth cows. About a third of them are 8, 9, 10 year old full mouth cows. Right now they are 7 & 8 months bred. Averaged weighing 1,276. And I paid a touch over $1,200 a head. So today on the first sale of the year they had a lot of bred cows. They were selling them in drafts. Run 10 into the ring, sell them, the buyer has the option on the next 10. Saw 27 head of broken mouth black cows sell for $1,640. I watched 100+ head of BM cows sell for $1,550+. I fell like giving my cows some sort of extra treat (they wouldn't know what grain of any sort is). Maybe a few bales of alfalfa. Got to love it when a plan comes together.
I've got a few bought as well at around 1200 plus dollars. Not as far along as yours tho Dave! Mine will be spring calvers.

Excited to see what prices are tomorrow at the sale here