Cow sale tonight.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Went to the last cow sale for the year tonight at Lexington.
Had a lot of cows, quality was pretty good, a lot of folks selling out, course a lot of culling too no doubt.
Pretty much anything black decent was bringing atleast $1800, some were bringing over $2000. Most decent pair were bringing 2300 or 2400.
We did some bottom feeding.
Bought a Hereford bred 4-6 for $1150 I think and 3 thin Herefords with calves for $1525 each. Hoping they will be ok once they get some nourishment.
F57F8387-6154-454A-B25A-008BE6E8DBBD.jpeg999B9BEC-6BC5-4A06-8FC6-EF3D7718512A.jpeg

Had a lot of cows, quality was pretty good, a lot of folks selling out, course a lot of culling too no doubt.
Pretty much anything black decent was bringing atleast $1800, some were bringing over $2000. Most decent pair were bringing 2300 or 2400.
Bought a Hereford bred 4-6 for $1150 I think and 3 thin Herefords with calves for $1525 each. Hoping they will be ok once they get some nourishment.
View attachment 38429View attachment 38430
Heifer or bull calves? Those cows look ok to me, Ky, considering they are nursing calves and the time of the year. I agree with you...just a little nourishment and they will blossom.

Do they age the cows at Lexington? For several years i took older cows that still looked good to KY to sell because they didn't age them.
No they age them, sometimes they will say an age for some maybe somebody has said and they announce it. Generally though nothing is aged.

Not sure. That was the first time we've been to a cow sale for a while.
From what I read about the weekly market reports cows aren't selling as high in the regular sales as they did at that monthly cow sale.
There were quite a few bred cows selling $1800-2200. Cows and calves were bringing $2300-$2400.
We bought the cheaper end cow/calf pairs at 1525. A Holstein cow with a small udder and black calf brought 1200 or 1300.

Last edited:
Plenty of hay around here.
Slaughter buyers are spending enough that it makes it hard to buy a good big cow.
Feeders are buying up all the good breedable heifers too. Same deal, making it hard for someone to buy replacement heifers.
I'm thinking as we get closer to spring time prices will be through the roof?
I've been wrong before.

I've been wrong before.
I think you are correct. Much of the US didnt have adequate hay or fall grazing so lots of cows went to slaughter instead of staying in the herds. Good moisture throughout this winter and into next summer will make a lot of people hunt for good cows. Slaughter price i feel will stay strong during this same period of time giving more competition to the prices.

View attachment 38429View attachment 38430
Looks to me like a good buy

I've been wrong before.
That was my thought too. That is why I started buying early this year. I finished up buying 10 days ago. There was a stock cow special sale back on the 6th. I think the cows I had bought to that point would have made $200 each maybe more. I don't think they will be selling for one bid over kill price after the first of the year.

@Dave @tex452
I sure think that's right!
I felt good to get some 2 way cows. I can keep em another year or two. Or sell em if I want.

They keep saying the herd building has not begun here in oklahoma. I guess they're right. But I sure felt good with my girls going to New homes and not slaughter.

@Dave @tex452
I sure think that's right!
I felt good to get some 2 way cows. I can keep em another year or two. Or sell em if I want.

They keep saying the herd building has not begun here in oklahoma. I guess they're right. But I sure felt good with my girls going to New homes and not slaughter.
It has started in this area. About every breeder has kept a lot of heifers this year. Most herds have sold the older cows. Heifer bulls will be at a premium. Some kept a lot last year but most waited till this year. We will keep around 3 times the replacements as last year. We never reduced numbers like most. Will AI them and may sell part of them as either Breda or pairs

Latest posts