Brangus sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Pretty good sale today. I stayed for all 68 bulls to be sold, then I stayed for about 5 of the heifers, but left to go back home for a different trailer. 1 bull brought $11k, two brought $9k+. a couple of $6 and $7k. The last 25 or so to sell were $2400-$2700. A ranch in South Dakota bought 5 or 6 Brangus...several went to places in Illinois and Missouri. 4 Ultrablack were bought by a ranch in Mexico, but no Brangus. I'd say most of the 68, probably over 55 of them, were born Oct, Nov and Dec 2022 . Th youngest 3 or 4, were born Jan 2023. The oldest was an Aug 22 Brangus, and was also the smallest. He looked like a 1970's Angus. I didn't like anything at all about his looks, but he brought $4700.

They said in the office that bulls went to buyers in 14 states and Mexico. Of the ones that stayed in the southeast, Florida got the bulk of them, then SC, then TN, then Alabama...with only 3 or 4 buyers from Ga.

This would have been the place for even a commercial breeder to get some top-quality genetics at a bargain price. I am guessing about 40 of the 68 were $4k +- and under. with 30 of those being $3k and under.

Lots of people buying off of EPDs and what the announcer would say about each one. They gave top dollar for bulls the announcer called as CE or heifer bulls, and held back on bulls they called "growth" bulls. But some of us bid based on pedigree, and what we saw.

It started at 1, and the bulls were done by 2:30. This was an extremely well-run sale. Good pace, good organization ...both in the pens behind the auction barn. , inside the auction ring, the office, as well as load out.

Pretty good sale today. I stayed for all 68 bulls to be sold, then I stayed for about 5 of the heifers, but left to go back home for a different trailer. 1 bull brought $11k, two brought $9k+. a couple of $6 and $7k. The last 25 or so to sell were $2400-$2700. A ranch in South Dakota bought 5 or 6 Brangus...several went to places in Illinois and Missouri. 4 Ultrablack were bought by a ranch in Mexico, but no Brangus. I'd say most of the 68, probably over 55 of them, were born Oct, Nov and Dec 2022 . Th youngest 3 or 4, were born Jan 2023. The oldest was an Aug 22 Brangus, and was also the smallest. He looked like a 1970's Angus. I didn't like anything at all about his looks, but he brought $4700.

They said in the office that bulls went to buyers in 14 states and Mexico. Of the ones that stayed in the southeast, Florida got the bulk of them, then SC, then TN, then Alabama...with only 3 or 4 buyers from Ga.

This would have been the place for even a commercial breeder to get some top-quality genetics at a bargain price. I am guessing about 40 of the 68 were $4k +- and under. with 30 of those being $3k and under.

Lots of people buying off of EPDs and what the announcer would say about each one. They gave top dollar for bulls the announcer called as CE or heifer bulls, and held back on bulls they called "growth" bulls. But some of us bid based on pedigree, and what we saw.

It started at 1, and the bulls were done by 2:30. This was an extremely well-run sale. Good pace, good organization ...both in the pens behind the auction barn. , inside the auction ring, the office, as well as load out.
I would be interested in what the females brought if you get that info.

I would be interested in what the females brought if you get that info.
The first two were in the $7k's, the next three $5k-$6k, then I left the barn after that, and went to the office to pay. I was gonna go home and get a different trailer and come right back, because I wanted to see the commercial cows, pairs and heifers sell. But, found out we couldn't pay for what we bought until after the last commercial cattle were sold, and I knew that would be late at night. So, I just went home and came back this morning. I was wanting to see how the commercial cattle sold. They had some UB x Simm heifers that I was curious to see how they sold. Like these. 1708880351344.png
If I get to go to the regular sale Tuesday, I will ask them in the office if they have a list of what the lots brought yesterday, and If they do, I will comment here.

Hey @kenny thomas. Plan today was gonna be to get up there this morning and loaded up the bulls I bought yesterday. I had a client that wanted 4 UB and gave me $12k to buy them. I ended up with 5 UBs and 2 Brangus. I was gonna load all 7, head to his place in LaGrange, let him pick the 4 he wanted, then carry the other 3 down to the Kudzu place. When I got to the sale barn, I was waiting to check out in the office, and heard the folks talking about where all they had buyers looking for transport. I asked were there any that needed cows hauled to GA somewhere, and they showed me 2. 1 of them had bought 8 heifers , and they needed to go down around Tifton. 250 miles from the sale barn, 3 and 1/2 hours ( if no traffic) one way, but about 45 mins south of our place, straight down 75. The man had bought 8 heifers...internet bidder. Most all of the registered heifers were the same as the bulls were...calved from Oct- Dec of 22. He bought 5 registered ones...2 Brangus and 3 UB. The reg Brangus were $3200 and $3000. The 3 UBs were $2600, and 2 at $2400. He also bought 3 of the commercial heifers...the UltraBlack X Simms. These were Jan and Feb of 2023 calves. Must have sold them together, because his ticket read 3 @ $1850/hd.
Barn manager said to check with them Tuesday at the sale, and they'd try to have what each heifer brought for me. Anyhow, I called the Tifton dude, and he offered a very good price for us to bring them to him. So, I called Clay and told him to bring me my 20' aluminum trailer, and I'd let him hook to the big trailer and take those heifers to Tifton, and drop the 3 bulls I am keeping at the Kudzu place on his way down. I had bought one Salacoa-bred UB bull, so I kept it, and took the other 4 to the boy in LaGrange.

Last edited:
That helped pay for the trip.
Those heifers really weren't any higher than commercial stockyard heifers.
I know. And people saying you can't buy better replacements than you can raise from your commercial cows, for the same or less money. Same is true for those $4k and less bulls Saturday, too. But, I have noticed the current beef prices doesn't really have that much to do with the price of registered stock. Back about 2020, when bred cows were $1100 at the most, heifers at maybe $800-$900, and black CAB potential steers were $1.50/lb, these bulls and heifers would have brought about the same price at that year's production sale..

Yeah, he more than paid for the trip. On the phone he said: "Well, it's 250+miles one way, so that's over 500 miles, so figure 50 gallons of diesel at $4. That's $200 right there. And MapQuest says it is 3.5 hours each way. so figure 7 hours on the road plus 1 hour there loading and one hour at my place, That's 9 hours @ $50 an hour, so there's another $450. Would $750 work for you?" I said, yeah but $800 would work even better! He wanted to Venmo me half then, and pay the other half in cash when the bulls arrived. I told him to just Venmo me $100 to seal the deal, , and pay Clay the balance in cash when he got there with the cows. It was about 190mi round trip for me to deliver those bulls down to Lagrange so I used that $100 for my fuel and didn't charge him for delivery. I had a little over $11k in those bulls, after expenses, so I had a tad more than $850 left out of the $12k he paid me the for the 4 bulls. Not too bad for 2 days work.

Most everyone on here has posted a pic of their herd bull or bulls. I'd love to see a few pics of yours!
Well, dunno for sure what the bulls will be this year, yet. Won't have to decide til mid-March. I bought 3 Saturday that I was sure I'd use this year, but I think I may have them sold. I am still thinking long and hard on trying a black Simm, and a Brangus x Chi-Angus, if I sell these. But I think the sale catalouge is still up on the website. Out of the 68 bulls, they put pictures of maybe 20 of them. in the catalouge. Two of the three I kept had no pics, and the one Salacoa-bred bull, they had a picture of about 8 cows instead of his. They had that for another one, too. And I think it was lot #1 that they had a pic of a man standing in a squeeze chute. The organizer, in his opening statements, apologized about the catalouge. However, if it is still up, (it was yesterday) they did have a 30 second video of every bull out beside where you downloaded the catalouge. I will get my paperwork out of the truck tomorrow, and get the brand/hip number for those 3. You can take that and match it up to the lot #, and look at the videos, if you want to see them.

Latest posts