Brangus production sale

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Went to a family's first production sale that lives close to my son . Never been to a live sale that sold the cattle by video . Cattle were outside in pens but did not come into the barn . Good set of registered and commercial bulls and females . We are close to needing an outcross for our black baldies and commercial cows . Registered bulls were out of my price range but I thought the commercial bulls were reasonable. $2750-3250 . Want a brangus with a clean sheath and not a lot of extra around his business. Far Niente Farms at Hammondville Al near Ft Payne

Glad they had a good sale. I've been to a few sales done with video like that. I'd rather watch them come through the ring, but I guess it simplifies things for the sellers and what they have to have set up and staffed for the sale.

First breeder we bought our bulls from was private treaty for a long time. Loved that we could walk around the bulls, really see their demeanor, look 'em over. Then they got so big they started doing video auctions. We could walk around the pens prior to the sale but when they got to the actual auction, we really couldn't tell which bull was which on the videos, they went so fast. Ended up buying one bull when we thought we bought another. Well, that bull turned out to be my all-time favorite and I literally did the ugly cry when I had to load him in the trailer the last time. The other bull that looked/seemed great in the pen loaded hot and never simmered down. Sold him a year later, after he tried to take out Mr TC. And haven't used that breeder since.

First breeder we bought our bulls from was private treaty for a long time. Loved that we could walk around the bulls, really see their demeanor, look 'em over. Then they got so big they started doing video auctions. We could walk around the pens prior to the sale but when they got to the actual auction, we really couldn't tell which bull was which on the videos, they went so fast. Ended up buying one bull when we thought we bought another. Well, that bull turned out to be my all-time favorite and I literally did the ugly cry when I had to load him in the trailer the last time. The other bull that looked/seemed great in the pen loaded hot and never simmered down. Sold him a year later, after he tried to take out Mr TC. And haven't used that breeder since.
Yeh the nature of auctions is to keep things rolling and the auctioneers try to bustle you and get another bid out of you before you can think about it. I don't like it, my head thinks pretty slowly.

Ken

I'll admit, the last bull I bought, was sold sight unseen. He didn't sell at the auction. I got a list of the no sales and picked him from what was left, which included the #2 lot.

I asked why he didn't sell. The breeder said because he's not a true "calving ease" bull. Lots of guys like me, small time with 5-10 heifers mixed in every year that are afraid to chance it. I've not selected for small calves so it didn't scare me none. I got a bull with great feet, a stellar maternal rating, and a proven pedigree for the opening price. I'll most likely buy my next bull the same way if the opportunity presents itself.

Yeh the nature of auctions is to keep things rolling and the auctioneers try to bustle you and get another bid out of you before you can think about it. I don't like it, my head thinks pretty slowly.

Ken
I've seen too many sales where they roll out the first 3-4 quickly and people get caught up and pay big money for them. The fever dies and as good or better go for half or less later in the sale.

I asked why he didn't sell. The breeder said because he's not a true "calving ease" bull.
That's how we ended up with Woody, my current alpha bull. Bought 2 heifer bulls and my fave got struck by lightning after having him all of 3 weeks (had the vet post him to make sure). Called my breeder that night and asked if he still had any bulls. He had one left that would fit my operation but definitely not a calving ease bull. Why didn't he already sell? Well, because of the aforementioned CE and, gotta be honest, he's ugly. Tall, rangy, NOT one you'd put on the cover of a catalogue. Breeder delivered him a couple days later and refused to take another check, said he guarantees his bulls the first year (even though clearly, an act of nature has nothing to do with breeding). I love this bull!!!! And he throws beautiful calves with a lot of help from the dam. BTW, Woody is now 5 with a whopping 46 cm scrotal circumference. He gets the job done!!!

I drove like 6 hours several years back with a little trailer to go to a Hereford sale. Got a room the night before about an hour away so I could be there early. I was interested in bulls and heifers and was ready to roll. I even asked if they had cattle haulers they could recommend to haul back.

I walk in to the barn and they have a tiny little ring. Didn't think much of it. I started walking pens and there was no one else there. Guys were feeding cattle and showing up to work the sale. I overheard some cowboys talking about not being able to catch a handful of bulls the day before. They were going back after them this morning. It didn't worry me much, I was confident I could spot them as they came rolling through the ring.

When I went back in to set down they started setting TVs up in the ring. 🤬 They had pre-recorded videos of them walking around on pretty grass. You could be buying that ignorant sog they had drug out the pasture 30 min before and would never know.

Needless to say... I didn't buy any thing. On the way out the manager (I had talked to early that morning) asked if I found what I wanted. I told him... no, and gave him an earful about my disappointment.

I ask now what kind of sale it is. I refuse to buy animals on a screen. If I can't get in the pen and walk them, push them, etc... I have zero interest.

I've learned to buy bulls as yearlings. I can buy them out before they end up in the sales. It may cost a little more but I can get first pick. The older the bull, the smaller the pool you are likely choosing from.

That's how we ended up with Woody, my current alpha bull. Bought 2 heifer bulls and my fave got struck by lightning after having him all of 3 weeks (had the vet post him to make sure). Called my breeder that night and asked if he still had any bulls. He had one left that would fit my operation but definitely not a calving ease bull. Why didn't he already sell? Well, because of the aforementioned CE and, gotta be honest, he's ugly. Tall, rangy, NOT one you'd put on the cover of a catalogue. Breeder delivered him a couple days later and refused to take another check, said he guarantees his bulls the first year (even though clearly, an act of nature has nothing to do with breeding). I love this bull!!!! And he throws beautiful calves with a lot of help from the dam. BTW, Woody is now 5 with a whopping 46 cm scrotal circumference. He gets the job done!!!
I had a Hereford bull like that once, he wasn't much to look at but the calves he threw were great.

The majority of sales in this region are video auctions on the farm/ranch (no ring just tvs). I've heard both breeders and auctioneers express that it's far less stressful for the cattle (and them).

The majority of sales in this region are video auctions on the farm/ranch (no ring just tvs). I've heard both breeders and auctioneers express that it's far less stressful for the cattle (and them).
Another issue is the number of people required to get the cattle from the pens to the sales ring in the correct order without holding up the sale. Then the people working the gates in and out of the ring, the person in the ring turning the animal and the people penning the cattle as they exit the ring. Takes a good sized coordinated crew to work all that. Especially with matching the cattle order to the sales order.

For a video sale, serious buyers should study the videos and pedigrees prior to arrival, view lots in the pens prior to the start of the sale, select lots that will work for them, make notes on those lots, maybe rate/score those lots. Overall there is plenty of time for evaluation/selection with a video sale. Then there is still the opportunity for making an emotional decision during the sale with the bid takers whooping and hollering.

It's the way of the future and the best way to go. More and more around here are going that way. Not only is it less stressful on the animals it's less stressful on the consigner.

I much prefer this as a buyer. No need for an auction mart guys are doing it in their shop/machinery shed or I attended one last year at a town hall.

You go through the cattle before in their own pens, you see how they are raised, fed and can walk through the cows and see dams or grand dams as well as any walking herd sires.

Takes a lot of the guess work out. You can walk them a lot easier too and really get a look at them in a big pen.

Glad they had a good sale. I've been to a few sales done with video like that. I'd rather watch them come through the ring, but I guess it simplifies things for the sellers and what they have to have set up and staffed for the sale.

I don't like the sales that use a video instead of running them through the ring. I like to evaluate their docility in the ring. So far have never bought one at a video sale. I have a neighbor and a good friend that have video production sales. Bought a bull from one before they went the video route. Many of the sales in this area they are in small pens. Some sellers don't allow a buyer to sort them out and put them in an alley so they can see how they travel. Also if they run them through the ring I can select another if I don't get my top choices. Around here the dams and walking sires aren't around to look at. As a buyer I see no positives for me.

Last edited:
The video is to the sellers benefit, not the buyers. If they don't have the man power and their cattle can't handle walking though a ring, that should be a red flag right there.

Just like the place I went... they said the same thing... it's easier on the cattle... then they can't even catch their bulls out of the pasture. Roping them and dragging them out is OK but walking them through a ring is not? RED FLAG

Totally different with feeder calves and stuff, I get that, but not production animals.

The day of the auction mart productions sales are headed the same way as the dinosaurs. Cost wise a producer can cut 10k or more off his costs. Trucking, hotels, meals and auction mart rental add up.

Absolutely everything here both female and bull sales is videoed and online. A lot of guys are online only now. Especially the small guy with 20 head or less. You bid for 2 or three days and no auctioneer. Everything is timed.

Like I said I prefer video. Mostly for the same reasons some of you hate them. It's easier to walk into a pen of 40-50 bulls and pick out the high headed ones or the ones that always shy to the far end.

You can walk them and compare a lot easier rather than try to compare one in a pen of 4 to another 10 pens down.

Plus the dam and sire are often a pen or two over. Then walk in the shed grab a bite to eat and bid. Plus I can take my jacket off and not freeze my butt off like I do in some of the sale barns and auction marts whee it never really warms up on a -30 day

The video is to the sellers benefit, not the buyers. If they don't have the man power and their cattle can't handle walking though a ring, that should be a red flag right there.

Just like the place I went... they said the same thing... it's easier on the cattle... then they can't even catch their bulls out of the pasture. Roping them and dragging them out is OK but walking them through a ring is not? RED FLAG

Totally different with feeder calves and stuff, I get that, but not production animals.

Sellers and sale managers like the video auctions. The sale managers get as much money but easier on them. The seller likes it as it saves money and docility issues aren't exploded. There are too many options. I will buy private treaty or at an auction that runs the cattle through the ring.
Have had sellers state it adds 30-60 minutes to their sale. Depending on how many head they sale. I drive 1-4 hours to attend the sales and many others do also and they are worried about 30 minutes extra for the whole sale. If they can't spend 5 minutes running the bull I came to look at then why should I drive for 1-4 hours to attend their sale? My time is as valuable as theirs. Some don't even state the sale will be a video sale.