Bull sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Wife is gone to visit her sister so I am on my own to get food. What do you do this time of the year when you want food? Go to a bull sale and get fed for free.

So Harrell Hereford bull sale was today and I went. They had 150+ Hereford bulls, 30 Black Angus bulls, A bunch of registered Hereford heifers, another group of black whiteface commercial heifers, and 30 head of 2 year old Quarter horses. I ate their tri tip dinner (good food). Watched the Hereford bulls sell. Just guessing their average had to be $8,000+. Better have at least $7,000 if you wanted one of their bulls. Their Angus bulls is a new venture for them. A few years ago they started buying 7 year old cows from Sitz. This is their second year including the Angus in their sale. I watched 8 or 9 of these bulls sell. They were in the $8,000 to $10,000 range. I went home to do calf check before dark. I got in the house in time to watch on line as some of the horses sell. What I watched were in the $14,000 to $18,000 range except one filly which sold for $30,000.

Wife is gone to visit her sister so I am on my own to get food. What do you do this time of the year when you want food? Go to a bull sale and get fed for free.

So Harrell Hereford bull sale was today and I went. They had 150+ Hereford bulls, 30 Black Angus bulls, A bunch of registered Hereford heifers, another group of black whiteface commercial heifers, and 30 head of 2 year old Quarter horses. I ate their tri tip dinner (good food). Watched the Hereford bulls sell. Just guessing their average had to be $8,000+. Better have at least $7,000 if you wanted one of their bulls. Their Angus bulls is a new venture for them. A few years ago they started buying 7 year old cows from Sitz. This is their second year including the Angus in their sale. I watched 8 or 9 of these bulls sell. They were in the $8,000 to $10,000 range. I went home to do calf check before dark. I got in the house in time to watch on line as some of the horses sell. What I watched were in the $14,000 to $18,000 range except one filly which sold for $30,000.
I retired too early...

I retired as soon as I could. Retirement is the best gig I ever had.

I retired at 56, a bit before I should have financially but it has worked out. I agree, they have been the best days of my life, 73 in April. I haven't exactly sat still.

Ken
I retired at 52 and then I bought my second ranch in a different state. LOL... ahhhh retirement. I actually loved it, but it sure keeps a guy busy with stuff unrelated to most retirements. So Dave, you being retired and owning one and dones may be similar to mine while I owned my cows. And my retirement now is busy with projects, which is the way I like it.

nice looking Hereford cattle on their website.

nice looking Hereford cattle on their website.
Yes they are. And along with other things they have a herd of commercial black hided cows where they test their own genetics. They realize that there main market is for bulls to crossbreed on black cows. They have irons in a lot of different fires and seem to be doing well on all of them.

Latest posts