Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I also like the heavy two weights. They are 3$+ for good steers, $2.50 for heifers. The rodeo buyers take a lot of them and keep the price up. I can put them on grass until late fall and they sell well to buyers wanting good hard calves weaned six months. A calf that don't look real good at 275 lbs will look totally different at 550. After you get them started, your inputs are basically nothing.
The only tough part is getting them through the first two weeks.

I am not sure what the exchange rate is but ball park that is just a few cents over what they sold for here yesterday. A full load and all from the same place is worth a couple cents more.
$3.05 today.

I paid $1600/head for some feeder steers Saturday, long time weaned and all their shots,balancer calves. I had one home raised steer that they matched up with age and size wise. Bought them straight off the farm, no scales but I'd guess them 650. I thought I was going to stroke writing the check, that's the most I've ever gave for cattle other than a bull. I had to sharpen my pencil to figure a profit out of them and will have to really keep an eye on any spending on their behalf. I'm going to have to raise my beef prices some, which I hate to do but I'm not doing it for free either, my price will still be behind what some in this area were getting a year ago. If they go any higher I'm not sure average people will be able to afford to buy a quarter of beef.

Last week some 346 lb calves brought $4.26. We will wean some 450 lb young steers this week. Considered selling them but have wheat for them,

Last week some 346 lb calves brought $4.26. We will wean some 450 lb young steers this week. Considered selling them but have wheat for them,
What this all means is that I'd be dumb to buy some cattle right now, correct?

You old timers wouldn't enter into the market at a time like this, would you? Will there be a summer slump on prices in Texas? I need some bred cows, but I can't really see how I'll make money on 1600 to 2000 for other peoples culls that are bred…

Yesterday in East Texas. Not sure where the $ is coming from, my pockets sure aren't that deep.

Attachments

• E0CA2DFE-5A95-405C-94C2-3923C6C562F7.png
    E0CA2DFE-5A95-405C-94C2-3923C6C562F7.png
    174 KB · Views: 29
If ya put em on wheat and gain 200lbs, from what I've seen, they'll bring same money per head. Pretty crazy right now!

I think I'd sell.
Buy back some number 2's to graze that wheat. Make some money on them!

If ya put em on wheat and gain 200lbs, from what I've seen, they'll bring same money per head. Pretty crazy right now!

I think I'd sell.
Buy back some number 2's to graze that wheat. Make some money on them!
I respect your decision. We base our decisions on what works for us. Each producer has their own management and what works best for one don't for another. If we wanted to make the most dollars we would buy heavier cutting bulls. Several around here are doing that. In our case we haven't brought in an outside animal in over ten years except for bulls and a few cows we bought too bring in new genetics. If we bring in sale barn cattle we have the potential too bring in sickness. We are busy now so don't need to be doctoring cattle. If we retain our own we normally have little or no sickness. And if we sell them at 8 they will bring more than they will now. We look at the whole picture and what returns the most with least risk and labor.
We are retaining most of our heifers. Many are selling with what they are bringing. We will AI most. We feel retaiiis best for us. I can develop them cheaper than buying a top bred heifer. Again I respect those selling. We do what works for us.

Latest posts