Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

The problem is not that there are more cows but the fact that droughts in 2002, 2006, 2011 and now current California drought have really lowered total overall cattle numbers such that we are not back to where we were before selloffs.

greybeard":25qjbhfh said:
Supa Dexta":25qjbhfh said:
Who's kept heifers back? Oh right, nearly everyone...

'USDA also released the July 1 cattle inventory showing total cattle up over 2 million head with cows up 700,000. Other features of the report confirmed the expansion at every level of cattle numbers. More yearling outside feedyards [up 700,000 head], more calves [calf crop up 400,000 head].'
a contradiction:
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/art ... 146104.htm
Tyson closes processing plant citing a beef cattle shortage.

DAKOTA DUNES, S.D., Aug. 14, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tyson Fresh Meats, a subsidiary of Tyson Foods, Inc. (NYSE:TSN) is reducing its beef production capacity due to a continued lack of available cattle. Effective today, the company will permanently cease beef operations at its plant in Denison, Iowa, to better align its overall production capacity with current cattle supplies.
"This was a very difficult decision because it affects the lives of our people, their families and a community that has supported this plant for more than 50 years," said Steve Stouffer, president of Tyson Fresh Meats. "However, the realities of the beef business have changed and we must continue to change with it to remain successful.
"The cattle supply is tight and there's an excess of beef production capacity in the region," he said. "We believe the move to cease beef operations at Denison will put the rest of our beef business in a better position for future success."
The by-product rendering system at the Denison plant will continue operations. It will process by-products from other Tyson locations and will employ approximately 20 people.
The 400 workers affected by the end of beef production at Denison are being given an opportunity to apply for jobs at other Tyson locations. In fact, the company is offering financial incentives to hourly workers who qualify for production openings at the company's Lexington, Nebraska, beef plant.

Tyson already has a plant killing the same thing 70 miles away in Dakota City. They were already shipping all the carcasses over there from Denison to be cut up anyway. I bet they will just kill more there.

denvermartinfarms":fkxi6jhd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":fkxi6jhd said:
machslammer":fkxi6jhd said:
500# heifers here aver 2$/# and steers 2.15 sane weight

That's not too good.
That's right on what I paid at unionville yesterday.

I'm a seller and you're a buyer.

Perspective is everything. These prices stink.

I agree, I was just saying the prices he was telling about were right in line with what I paid over there yesterday. I've got some I will have to sell in the next 2 weeks that would have made the same money if I had let them go 6 weeks back.

I think we will see things like they are for about 6 weeks, then head back up through the end of the year.

denvermartinfarms":3l2se1o8 said:
I agree, I was just saying the prices he was telling about were right in line with what I paid over there yesterday. I've got some I will have to sell in the next 2 weeks that would have made the same money if I had let them go 6 weeks back.

I think we will see things like they are for about 6 weeks, then head back up through the end of the year.

I hope you're right Denver. We've got 60 or so to sell in November.

TennesseeTuxedo":36ybqxbn said:
denvermartinfarms":36ybqxbn said:

I hope you're right Denver. We've got 60 or so to sell in November.
How big? Hopefully wheat size.

My weaning shed is full, and I put four more in this afternoon. I'm gonna settle these for a month. The way they've been bawling and melting, it'll take that long to get them straight to sell anyway. Nobody knows what the future holds, but I'm feeling the market fall a few more cents, and level at around $2 and some change for the big fall wean off. Who knows though. I'm unlucky anyway. If it rained pea soup my rain barrel would have a hole in it.

Bigfoot, I am gonna wean mine also and add the calves I am buying. Will graze and feed them until a preconditioned sale in December. As prices are going down weaned calves will be even more in demand.

kenny thomas":1i81ymh3 said:
Bigfoot, I am gonna wean mine also and add the calves I am buying. Will graze and feed them until a preconditioned sale in December. As prices are going down weaned calves will be even more in demand.

I agree, weaned and 2 shots is the way to go as the market weakens. It's the odd ball calves that tank first and fast.

Totally agree, I buy a lot of the odd ball calves and then put a group of them together to sell after CharX or black/BWF so I can group them. I really like the charX calves to feed. They just outgrow the blacks I can get here.

kenny thomas":1hj3dlb7 said:
Totally agree, I buy a lot of the odd ball calves and then put a group of them together to sell after CharX or black/BWF so I can group them. I really like the charX calves to feed. They just outgrow the blacks I can get here.

That's been my dads calling card for years. Pick up the dollars others leave on the table.

I put in a group the last week of March weighing 370. I am selling them next Monday and think they will weigh 850+. They laughed at me when I bought them because they were scrawney thin calves. I love that kind. They will average over 3 lb a day gain.

You all wont believe it but a good amount of pairs and 3n1's were going from 1400 for pairs to 1700 for 3n1's with nice sized calves by the mamas side yesterday

skyhightree1":1grgsdsd said:
You all wont believe it but a good amount of pairs and 3n1's were going from 1400 for pairs to 1700 for 3n1's with nice sized calves by the mamas side yesterday
I believe it. People are scared to buy until they see what happens. A few more days of the stock market going down and I may be also. On paper I have lost $60,000 in the last few weeks. Darn right I am shy of buying.

skyhightree1":2a8mjiwh said:
If anything drops I wish it be breds I'm backing off calves now but cheap breeds I'll buy all day though.
I have bought just a few short bred young cows to sell before Christmas. Only have average about 1,260 in them. Hope it works.

Latest posts