Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":3tjom2qc said:
prices%209-17-15_zpsqyf2cd60.png

Darn wish I could buy them for that here.

Everything was off 10 to 40$ this week, top end 5wt steers are doing good to hit 2.30$, 6wts 2.10$. Good 5wt heifers depending on condition 1.85 to 2.00$. Not a good week, but I really think we are close to the bottom and it's going to come back towards November and December.

On another note I've been thinking about heifers, the last couple weeks it's been where you could buy pretty nice 3 to 350lb heifers for a average of about 700$ a head, maybe not all black number 1s, but some sure enough good cattle. My idea was if a guy had the patience and the money to invest longterm, for about 40k you could buy 60 good little heifers and in 2 years have 60 first calf momma's with calves beside them for 40k plus your expenses of owning them for the 2 years. Now I understand they won't all breed, and there may be some calving problems, with good management that can be handled though.

denvermartinfarms":2cr8fs2w said:
On another note I've been thinking about heifers, the last couple weeks it's been where you could buy pretty nice 3 to 350lb heifers for a average of about 700$ a head, maybe not all black number 1s, but some sure enough good cattle. My idea was if a guy had the patience and the money to invest longterm, for about 40k you could buy 60 good little heifers and in 2 years have 60 first calf momma's with calves beside them for 40k plus your expenses of owning them for the 2 years.

I can not swing 60 heifers, but I did buy seven more number 1s this week.

Stocker Steve":2h7rlo7n said:
denvermartinfarms":2h7rlo7n said:
On another note I've been thinking about heifers, the last couple weeks it's been where you could buy pretty nice 3 to 350lb heifers for a average of about 700$ a head, maybe not all black number 1s, but some sure enough good cattle. My idea was if a guy had the patience and the money to invest longterm, for about 40k you could buy 60 good little heifers and in 2 years have 60 first calf momma's with calves beside them for 40k plus your expenses of owning them for the 2 years.

I can not swing 60 heifers, but I did buy seven more number 1s this week.
I think it's a good move.

The big profit is currently in chicken eggs. I asked the wife to have her self fed free range girls step up production to support my heifer habit. :cowboy:

skyhightree1":14wgdx79 said:
yes sir.. Its pretty crazy... What are you seeing in your area bf?

Same thing. A drop every week. If it keeps on, not sure where it will stop.

Bigfoot":1gfbaj2o said:
skyhightree1":1gfbaj2o said:
yes sir.. Its pretty crazy... What are you seeing in your area bf?

Same thing. A drop every week. If it keeps on, not sure where it will stop.

You got that right.. You know with the boom of cattle prices over last few years there was a boom of prices for anything cattle related... I wonder if the cattle equip will follow the trend.

I doubt it. I think tractor, and hay equipment dealers benefited the most from the high prices. I doubt they have a generous spirit, when big ole weaned steers hit 80 cents.

Trailers haven't dropped any, more likely increased. I've been passively looking. Dealers say they're selling a bunch of them. I don't know where the used ones are going. The few I have found have been high if the sides aren't rusted through. Come to think of it, they're high as well, for what they are.

Bigfoot":3r9lkv49 said:
I doubt it. I think tractor, and hay equipment dealers benefited the most from the high prices. I doubt they have a generous spirit, when big ole weaned steers hit 80 cents.

You are probably right.. But I bet next spring if prices remain low and drop down to that there will be alot of good used cattle equipment finding its way to sales.

I'm sorry the good times are drawing to a close, but enjoyed it while it lasted. I'll go back to backgrounding more. It was nerve racking when they were high. I cashed out a bunch of aged cows, and culled about anything that didn't suit me when they were high. I kept/bought several open heifers during the glut. That probably wasn't very smart, but there here now. All in all, I'd say it was good ride.

I have bought in cheap and sold most of my herd in a high and was fortunate to do so... I will repeat the cycle again when it looks like prices have bottomed out then they go sideways for a few weeks I will buy back in and wait for the next big wave. I didn't buy new equip or land or any 2500 heifers while on the high and hope that the high prices would stay forever to pay for it.

Some of you are acting like we're seeing $.90 5 weights again. Let's face it, even with a substantial drop we're still a lot better than 6-7 years ago. Anyone selling out now was destined to lose.

Latest posts