Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
one of the top producing barns here has dropped #2 4wt steer prices by almost .70 cents a lb. Is anyone else seeing this happening? Calves are dropping pretty rapidly in general it appears but breds and slaughter cattle seem to be holding pretty good .. Pairs are still fairly good too.

kenny thomas":2waxyuv2 said:
Maybe not that much but they are cheaper. Watch for the breds and the pairs to go down in the next week or so if this continues.

lburg has dropped about 50 cents in 2 weeks.. I'm going to barn tomorrow to see what I find. Do you think they will go up before winter?

Fats just keep slip sliding away. Last year the high for the year was set on July 31st and we sold holsteins for 150.75
Month after month prices have been slowly drifting lower.
Yesterday sold holstein fats for 134.75 and rang the bell with black simmentals at 143.00 for the local high of the day.
Feeders will have to follow.

Fat prices have been slipping for a while. Feed lots are afraid to buy the high priced replacements. Stocker operators have to take what $ they can get to keep some cash flow and hold onto the feeders they can in hopes of a better market. Stocker operators can not afford to pay high prices for calves if they are not getting a good prices for their cattle ready to go on feed.
Our prices here in the southeast always drop some in the summer. Good calves bring a little more than the common calves. Some reports of mortality from summer calves from the southeast being as high as 10%.
Prices should begin to pick up the closer we get to Labor Day. The calf market will usually be flooded in October and prices will drop a tad. Buyers will be a little more picky.

Yaw are scaring me. Stop it.

I haven't checked any local reports, but I would think I would have already heard if they opened that much down.

Beef is not moving well on the retail end. I have not seen beef specials in a long time. See a lot of chicken and pork specials advertised in the little flyers.
The consumer eventually decides the demand for beef. Slaughter numbers remain about the same each week, 535K to 540K. A lot more fat cattle are being kept on feed longer adding another 30 lb. of yield. This has helped make up for the number difference.
I saw some cattle ready to go on feed listed for $209 cwt. They were $241 cwt. five months ago.
The latest USDA report says cattle numbers are on the rebound and possibly a little ahead of schedule. Kind of takes the urgency out of the equation.
Imports are also up now that COOL is history for beef. (I have always believed beef should be labeled North American as Mexican and Canadian cattle fed in the U.S. are no different)
Now China's stock market decided to take a nose dive.
I see most of these reasons for decline as short lived and will hold on until prices increase.

Bigfoot":1uqhnob6 said:
Yaw are scaring me. Stop it.

I haven't checked any local reports, but I would think I would have already heard if they opened that much down.

Prices were ok in Guthrie last week but not great because Jeff didn't bid on hardly anything, probably didn't buy 20 hd.

Calves tanked bad in Carthage Saturday, had some good black weaned steers weighing light fives for 2.30 to 2.42. Had some 6 weight bulls in the 1.80s. Prices were up pretty good Monday though.

Who's kept heifers back? Oh right, nearly everyone...

'USDA also released the July 1 cattle inventory showing total cattle up over 2 million head with cows up 700,000. Other features of the report confirmed the expansion at every level of cattle numbers. More yearling outside feedyards [up 700,000 head], more calves [calf crop up 400,000 head].'

Nothing off to bad here, light unweaned calves hurting some, but I wouldn't expect anything different right now. There's been some 5wts I the high 2.60s right up to 2.90$. Some 6wts still in the 2.50s.

prices_zpshokjhj7s.png

Supa Dexta":1qmqml1s said:

'USDA also released the July 1 cattle inventory showing total cattle up over 2 million head with cows up 700,000. Other features of the report confirmed the expansion at every level of cattle numbers. '

How did heifers turn into cows so fast? Are they counting bred yearlings as cows?

I've wondered the same. If they call a bred heifer a cow - I don't know.. Or if you guys took on some of the 900k we're down up here.

Supa Dexta":3rwmwz98 said:

'USDA also released the July 1 cattle inventory showing total cattle up over 2 million head with cows up 700,000. Other features of the report confirmed the expansion at every level of cattle numbers. More yearling outside feedyards [up 700,000 head], more calves [calf crop up 400,000 head].'

That's about a 2 day supply at the slaughterhouse.

Supa Dexta":j0aiw6xq said:

a contradiction:
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/art ... 146104.htm
Tyson closes processing plant citing a beef cattle shortage.

DAKOTA DUNES, S.D., Aug. 14, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tyson Fresh Meats, a subsidiary of Tyson Foods, Inc. (NYSE:TSN) is reducing its beef production capacity due to a continued lack of available cattle. Effective today, the company will permanently cease beef operations at its plant in Denison, Iowa, to better align its overall production capacity with current cattle supplies.
"This was a very difficult decision because it affects the lives of our people, their families and a community that has supported this plant for more than 50 years," said Steve Stouffer, president of Tyson Fresh Meats. "However, the realities of the beef business have changed and we must continue to change with it to remain successful.
"The cattle supply is tight and there's an excess of beef production capacity in the region," he said. "We believe the move to cease beef operations at Denison will put the rest of our beef business in a better position for future success."
The by-product rendering system at the Denison plant will continue operations. It will process by-products from other Tyson locations and will employ approximately 20 people.
The 400 workers affected by the end of beef production at Denison are being given an opportunity to apply for jobs at other Tyson locations. In fact, the company is offering financial incentives to hourly workers who qualify for production openings at the company's Lexington, Nebraska, beef plant.

Latest posts