Packin Heat when mowing the lawn

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3boscqux said:
Jogeephus":3boscqux said:
Problem solved. Nothing runs like a Deere 'cepting of course the guy leaving your lawn if you own one of these. :lol2:

f4d2566f480a86ee6bd82dfae9751bef.jpg

Need that mounted on the tractor for hogs, I would hate to clean it everyday.
Not hard to clean at all. I cleaned at least one at least once/day almost every day for a year. They'll handle more dirt, grit and sand than you might think as long as you keep the headspace right. Ammo tho, has to be kept pretty clean.

Jo,

Your story reminded me of an incident of similar rudeness. My son, Clint, left Montana after finishing his bachelor's degree at Bozeman. His first position was at the U of L Medical School in Louisville. He was 22 and had no big city experience. He left the Medical research building to go to lunch. He was as usual, in a hurry. He came to a cross walk and an older black gentleman was waiting to cross. I suspect Clint stepped around him. The guy took it as an insult. According to Clint, he grabbed Clint's right shoulder and pulled him around. Clint turned to face him, I am sure in a bewildered state of mind. Clint was raised in Wyoming and Montana. Kinda sheltered and naive. He said the man was older which to a 22 year old could mean he was 45. :D He said the guy was very obscene and continued yelling at Clint as he walked on across the street. What struck Clint more than anything was he called Clint a "white devil". We still laugh about that.

It seemed harmless but the incident made an impact on Clint. Putting your hands on another person under those circumstances is not only bold and rude, it crosses legal lines. Its assault.

I know how Clint must have felt and I have to admit he handled it better than I did. Normally I would have done as he did and just shrugged it off but my tolerance level must have been at a low that day. I really don't know if it was his words or his attitude that set me off but I couldn't give him a pass. I do suspect had this guy had a daddy he would have had more manners than he did.

Jo, there is nothing more regrettable than losing your composure. I have participated in 3 or 4 incidents I wish I could live over. The last one was 2008. I am not a tough guy but even us "sheep" get our bowels in an uproar once in a blue moon.

I was living in Denver. I was riding the 16th street bus to work when a guy walks over to me and accuses me of blocking a young woman and her child from getting off the bus at their intended stop. If I did, I didn't know it.

At first, I listened to his grievance. Probably would have ended there except he didn't stop with just stating his grievance. I finally looked him square in the eyes and said f+++ you. I dislike using that kind of language and when I do, you know the wheels are coming off.

He invited me off the bus. We got off at the next bus stop. My only desire was to kill him.
That is horrible but honest.

When we got off, he started talking. I said, "I did not get off to talk". I remember a couple things were said after that. To my amazement, he turned his back and leisurely walked away.

After I got to the office, I was sick. Shaking sick. In my career, I have calmly listened to men call me every word known to mankind and then calmly sit down and discuss the violations I was serving. I never lost my temper in the field or in the courtroom.

If I had that incident to live over, I would have simply turned my back and stepped off at the next bus stop and never thought on it again. What set me off was being accused of willfully causing harm to a young woman and her child.

Pretty typical of how those with the loudest mouths normally just tuck tail and run when they meet some resistance.

Might have been a good thing you didn't have a MOAB in your back pocket. :lol2:

Jogeephus":3euy9u8b said:
Pretty typical of how those with the loudest mouths normally just tuck tail and run when they meet some resistance.

Jo,
I have thought about that. In the heat of the confrontation, I wanted to kill him. I hope if I was packing, I would have a wisp of enough self control left to not do that. Because after it was over, it was non-sense.

littletom":21wy1qlp said:
If I felt like I had to pack a gun for my safety mowing my yard. I think I would throw in the towel and move.

Same here. Things must be tough away from where I live. Maybe that's why we think most people who "move in" from someplace else are usually crazy.

The first thing they do is start plastering "no trespassing" signs everywhere; usually on stuff that nobody would want to trespass on anyway.

There was a couple that moved up the road from from somewhere up north. The mailman left a package at my house that was theirs. I took it by, and they seemed so "on edge" until we finally ironed out that I was a neighbor

herofan":1h7szc01 said:
littletom":1h7szc01 said:
If I felt like I had to pack a gun for my safety mowing my yard. I think I would throw in the towel and move.

Same here. Things must be tough away from where I live. Maybe that's why we think most people who "move in" from someplace else are usually crazy.

The first thing they do is start plastering "no trespassing" signs everywhere; usually on stuff that nobody would want to trespass on anyway.

There was a couple that moved up the road from from somewhere up north. The mailman left a package at my house that was theirs. I took it by, and they seemed so "on edge" until we finally ironed out that I was a neighbor

I don't put up "no trespass" signs. IMO, it makes you stand out as if there is a reason they should trespass. Some liability insurance companies suggest that you do.

Bright Raven":27sjfuvn said:
Jogeephus":27sjfuvn said:

Jo,
I have thought about that. In the heat of the confrontation, I wanted to kill him. I hope if I was packing, I would have a wisp of enough self control left to not do that. Because after it was over, it was non-sense.

Don't think you would have. I had a knife in my pocket as I always do and the thought of using it never crossed my mind. I think there is a big line between wanting to kill someone and deciding to kill someone. Of course for some that line might be a thin dotted line and even blurry for some.

Jogeephus":2e28xh1l said:
Bright Raven":2e28xh1l said:
Jogeephus":2e28xh1l said:

Jo,

Don't think you would have. I had a knife in my pocket as I always do and the thought of using it never crossed my mind. I think there is a big line between wanting to kill someone and deciding to kill someone. Of course for some that line might be a thin dotted line and even blurry for some.

Just remember, you have to live with it afterwards. You could live a long long time with the memory. :-(

Bright Raven":1kxg929q said:
herofan":1kxg929q said:
littletom":1kxg929q said:

I don't put up "no trespass" signs. IMO, it makes you stand out as if there is a reason they should trespass. Some liability insurance companies suggest that you do.

I don't either. My dad said there wasn't a no trespassing sign anywhere around here until the "move ins" started in the 80s. They put them everywhere.

Bright Raven":sl2f2zvr said:
herofan":sl2f2zvr said:
littletom":sl2f2zvr said:

Same goes for "beware of dog" signs. When an accident happens, you've already admitted you have a dog that can harm someone. Makes your defense much more difficult.

backhoeboogie":2i16yhad said:
Jogeephus":2i16yhad said:
Bright Raven":2i16yhad said:
Jo,

Just remember, you have to live with it afterwards. You could live a long long time with the memory. :-(

You will also have to live without what they take. Could be a family member.

True Grit Farms":3rs1kljd said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/23/man-attacked-by-two-pit-bulls-as-tries-to-save-jack-russell-terrier.html

One between the eyes would of saved a lot of hurt. This stuff happens to someone all the time, I don't care to be the someone.

Never seen a pit that wasn't a target seems like the lower the IQ of the person attracts ownership.
That breed is the most dumped here 10 to 1.

Caustic Burno":1wya1k3m said:
True Grit Farms":1wya1k3m said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/23/man-attacked-by-two-pit-bulls-as-tries-to-save-jack-russell-terrier.html

One between the eyes would of saved a lot of hurt. This stuff happens to someone all the time, I don't care to be the someone.

Never seen a pit that wasn't a target seems like the lower the IQ of the person attracts ownership.

Both those reasons are why we have bulldogs. I have never bought a dog before, but we've been looking for a couple of blue heelers and that's fixing on changing I guess.

Caustic Burno":34wr0xx7 said:
True Grit Farms":34wr0xx7 said:

If it is ok to generalize on the subject, I agree. Seems that people who have a chip on their shoulders own pit bulls and to make it worse, seems it is a reflection of their personality. They think their tough and they want a dog that compliments that. I see a pit bull and I immediately raise my guard.

Bright Raven":26qx2tnj said:
Caustic Burno":26qx2tnj said:
True Grit Farms":26qx2tnj said:

If it is ok to generalize on the subject, I agree. Seems that people who have a chip on their shoulders own pit bulls and to make it worse, seems it is a reflection of their personality. They think their tough and they want a dog that compliments that. I see a pit bull and I immediately raise my guard.

Just not while your mowing the yard.

Bright Raven":17jhs41s said:
Caustic Burno":17jhs41s said:
True Grit Farms":17jhs41s said:

I've never had a negative encounter with a Pit Bull but I was once accosted by a Blue Heeler this hillbilly cattleman I know turned out on me.

Latest posts