You know you’re from the sticks when…

Help Support CattleToday:

Copperas Cove has a newspaper. I bought one at a convenience store counter...once. A front and back page and a couple ads in the middle. Mostly about the highschool sports activities..

Got it. Man, that really puts into light how much worse your hog problem is than ours and why your experience is so different. Would you say you kill 30 a year?
150-175 a year and my neighbor down the road about a mile traps as many if not more.
From Lufkin to Beaumont from the Trinity to the Sabine River is virtually one big pine plantation.

This is the radio station web page from the next county over. My county doesn't have a newspaper anymore. Heck, our only grocery store is closing at the end of the month.
If we had a newspaper, I would post something too, but I get my news at the feed store. 🤷‍♂️
I get mine at the barber shop.

Back in 1903 my little town had 4 hotels, 2 saloons, a two story dance hall, 2 churches, 3 grocery stores, 2 big warehouses, a barber shop, meat market, a drug store, a railroad depot, 2 section houses for RR employees 3 livery stables, 2 blacksmith shops, a stock yard, a post office, and a school. The country was covered with homesteads scattered over the country. They are all gone. The gold mines big and small were working. The Sunday Hill and the Humbolt were running as was the Rainbow mine which employed 300 men and ran around the clock. About 1920 the mines shut down. The homesteaders got tired of starving and left.
Now there is a post office where the counter is only open for 2 hours a day. There is about 10 houses with people living in them. There is roughly 10 ranches scattered over the broad area. I don't think I need to worry about suburban sprawl coming here anytime soon.

Copperas Cove has a newspaper. I bought one at a convenience store counter...once. A front and back page and a couple ads in the middle. Mostly about the highschool sports activities..

Navasota has a weekly paper. I quit buying it years ago when they went to $1.00.

Navasota has a weekly paper. I quit buying it years ago when they went to $1.00.
Unless you have kids involved in school activities, about the only reason to take the local newspaper is to find out who died, and sometimes, what happened in those really bad wrecks. Yeah, I stopped taking ours when it took less than 30 seconds to skim through it to find nothing of interest.

Yeah, the local weekly newspaper is not what is once was.
Now the front page above the fold is filled with mug shots of all the latest drug arrests, leaving little room for news if there was any.
It used to be the highlight of my Mom's week when she caught up on all the latest gossip; but now facebook has taken that place.
Advertising has dried up and the legal notices on the back page pay the bills for the paper.

I remember back in the late 1970s when a bunch of friends worked a friends herd of cattle on a back forty kind of place. We had a big campfire and celebration afterwards as it got dark. I distinctly remember the conversation. It was how the wonderful place we had been lucky to grow up in was slipping away, never to come back. Those words were prophetic and I have watched them unfold.

Latest posts