• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Texan":onbgpsik said:
Tod Dague":onbgpsik said:
Never been a big fan of beating a dead horse.
deadhorse.gif

Couldn't have done that one better myself there Texan. Good one!
:nod: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cowboy:

:cboy: :roll:

Tod Dague":274ujg83 said:
Hill Creek Farm":274ujg83 said:
DOC HARRIS":274ujg83 said:
Brandonm2":274ujg83 said:
I agree with DOC. I would simplify things....
1)Provide good nutrition and a good vaccination program,
2) AI the cow,
3) follow up with another AI service if she comes back into heat 20 days later,
4) 20 days after that turn a bull loose with the cows. Pull him after 45 days. If you don't want to have to do DNA testing to figure out parentage use a Black ANgus cleanup bull on Herf cows or a Herf bull on solid cows.
5) Preg check all the cows at weaning time and any cow that is NOT bred after an AI service or two and 45 days with a bull is a CULL.

It doesn't really matter whether she is a $370 Longhorn cross commercial cow or a $20,000 Online daughter because if she won't cycle and/or maintain a healthy pregnancy then she isn't worth what you paid for her and is probably not genetics you want to be multiplying anyway.
Well now I do all my vaccnations and I my cows calve every 283 days or maybe a little more, like 290 days. But my cattle don't go for three or four years with out being bred. Listen, I have 30 cowsin one pasture with one bull named Red Oak. Then, I have another 30 head in another pasture with my other bull named Trailblazer. I don't AI. much anymore due to the fact that I have two outstanding herd bulls, its just stupid if I did. :cboy:
:shock: :roll: :dunce: She-e-esh! It's like casting pearls before swine! :nod:

DOC HARRIS
What do you mean by that statement? Take care DOC. :cboy:
So your cows are rebreeding the day she calves. :shock: Maybe I need to get some of your cows. ;-)

Putting the bulls in for 40 days then preg checking and putting the bulls back in is a waste of time. Just go ahead and put the bulls in for a full 90 days and preg check the following season (Spring for Fall calvers and Fall for Spring calvers). Cull all of the opens. You have few enough cows that they should all be bred in 45 days so anything that is open after 90 should be eaten.
If you want to improve the fertility of your herd put the bulls in for 45 days and preg check in the next season and cull the opens.

Just a question you have 60 cows, some are being flushed, two breeding seasons, and two bulls, how many cows are they breeding per season? 12?
My bulls do stay in for 90 days and I never do pull them out. I already stated that I leave the bulls in when I preg check. Now, my Spring breeding season is bigger than my Fall cavling season. Its like 70% Spring calving cows and 30% Fall calving cows. :cboy:
Why are you preg checking in the middle of your breeding season? Are you having them ultrasound checked?
Yes, I do ultrasound every female to guarantee that the female is bred and to determine the sex of the calf. It is pretty nice. Also, I ultrasound all my herd bulls, before they are sold to my customers. Take care. :cboy:
But why are you ultrasound preg checking in the middle of your breeding season? It seems to be a wast of money.

I think this is what some of the others are alluding to. You seem to be doing things to be doing things with out any real plan or thought. You take criticism well but you give no consideration what older wiser and more experience cattlemen are telling you. The only advice I'm going to give you is to open your ears, listen, and give some serious thought as to what they are saying.

This is all that I have to say. Never been a big fan of beating a dead horse.

Best of luck,
Tod
Ok, your not for listening. I keep the bulls in with the cows for 90 days. Now, after the 90 days, I get the herd in and preg check the cows and do ultrasounds to determine the sex of calf and see if the cows are bred. IF there are cows that are open, which hasn't occured yet, I give them another chance with the same bull, not another bull. NOW, do you understand? :cboy:

Muratic":99t2czau said:
Texan":99t2czau said:
Tod Dague":99t2czau said:
Never been a big fan of beating a dead horse.
deadhorse.gif

Couldn't have done that one better myself there Texan. Good one!
:nod: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cowboy:

:cboy: :roll:
I like the horse icon as well. It is funny! Take care. :cboy:

HC you are contradicting yourself you keep changing your story is it 40 or 90 days that you preg check I also think 40 is way too early.

HC you are contradicting yourself you keep changing your story is it 40 or 90 days that you preg check I also think 40 is way too early.

Hill Creek Farm":3fz7f2s4 said:
Ok, your not for listening. I keep the bulls in with the cows for 90 days. Now, after the 90 days, I get the herd in and preg check the cows and do ultrasounds to determine the sex of calf and see if the cows are bred. IF there are cows that are open, which hasn't occured yet, I give them another chance with the same bull, not another bull. NOW, do you understand? :cboy:

Just going by what you said.

Hill Creek Farm":3fz7f2s4 said:
Anyhow, I usually after the bull is put in on day 1, then at day 40, I start preg. checking. If there are a few cows that haven't been bred, then I turn them back out with the bull. Now last time, I had only two that were open, so those two went back in with the bull.
You seemed pretty sure of what you said as you referred several people to it. There seems to be some discrepancy as to when you preg check and as to whether you have had to put the bulls back out.
Now do you understand. ;-)

Tod Dague":1tq88zbj said:
Hill Creek Farm":1tq88zbj said:
DOC HARRIS":1tq88zbj said:
Brandonm2":1tq88zbj said:
I agree with DOC. I would simplify things....
1)Provide good nutrition and a good vaccination program,
2) AI the cow,
3) follow up with another AI service if she comes back into heat 20 days later,
4) 20 days after that turn a bull loose with the cows. Pull him after 45 days. If you don't want to have to do DNA testing to figure out parentage use a Black ANgus cleanup bull on Herf cows or a Herf bull on solid cows.
5) Preg check all the cows at weaning time and any cow that is NOT bred after an AI service or two and 45 days with a bull is a CULL.

It doesn't really matter whether she is a $370 Longhorn cross commercial cow or a $20,000 Online daughter because if she won't cycle and/or maintain a healthy pregnancy then she isn't worth what you paid for her and is probably not genetics you want to be multiplying anyway.
Well now I do all my vaccnations and I my cows calve every 283 days or maybe a little more, like 290 days. But my cattle don't go for three or four years with out being bred. Listen, I have 30 cowsin one pasture with one bull named Red Oak. Then, I have another 30 head in another pasture with my other bull named Trailblazer. I don't AI. much anymore due to the fact that I have two outstanding herd bulls, its just stupid if I did. :cboy:
:shock: :roll: :dunce: She-e-esh! It's like casting pearls before swine! :nod:

DOC HARRIS
What do you mean by that statement? Take care DOC. :cboy:
So your cows are rebreeding the day she calves. :shock: Maybe I need to get some of your cows. ;-)

Putting the bulls in for 40 days then preg checking and putting the bulls back in is a waste of time. Just go ahead and put the bulls in for a full 90 days and preg check the following season (Spring for Fall calvers and Fall for Spring calvers). Cull all of the opens. You have few enough cows that they should all be bred in 45 days so anything that is open after 90 should be eaten.
If you want to improve the fertility of your herd put the bulls in for 45 days and preg check in the next season and cull the opens.

Just a question you have 60 cows, some are being flushed, two breeding seasons, and two bulls, how many cows are they breeding per season? 12?
My bulls do stay in for 90 days and I never do pull them out. I already stated that I leave the bulls in when I preg check. Now, my Spring breeding season is bigger than my Fall cavling season. Its like 70% Spring calving cows and 30% Fall calving cows. :cboy:
Why are you preg checking in the middle of your breeding season? Are you having them ultrasound checked?
Yes, I do ultrasound every female to guarantee that the female is bred and to determine the sex of the calf. It is pretty nice. Also, I ultrasound all my herd bulls, before they are sold to my customers. Take care. :cboy:
But why are you ultrasound preg checking in the middle of your breeding season? It seems to be a wast of money.

I think this is what some of the others are alluding to. You seem to be doing things to be doing things with out any real plan or thought. You take criticism well but you give no consideration what older wiser and more experience cattlemen are telling you. The only advice I'm going to give you is to open your ears, listen, and give some serious thought as to what they are saying.

This is all that I have to say. Never been a big fan of beating a dead horse.

Best of luck,
Tod
Ok your not listening, I leave my bull in for 90 days, preg check at 90 days and if there is a cow open, I put that cow back in with the bull that she has been in the pastures with for 90 days. NOW do you and everyone else understand? :cboy:

shutskytj":vs41ji12 said:
What is your farm or programs name? Do you know Old Beech Farm in CT. and Four Winds Farm? Take care! :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":24aypkvm said:
I leave my bull in for 90 days, preg check at 90 days and if there is a cow open, I put that cow back in with the bull that she has been in the pastures with for 90 days. NOW do you and everyone else understand? :cboy:

I understand, but not the reason. What is the high performance part of them? A 180 day breeding season sure doesn;t seem like you're challenging them to perform in the fertility arena.

dun

Perhaps performance to HC means EPD's only, or it is limited to how big a bull calf can get on feed? HC? Your up!

Just a question, not being judgmental.

Why dont you AI your cows, then throw them in with your herdbull?

You have still given them two chances in one season without wasted time or upkeep.

After 90 days if they havent taken you get rid of them. I know you said you had excellent heard bulls, but how do you know what the breeding ability of the cows is?

I know you said you dont AI much because you have excellent heard bulls, but the bull isnt the only reason to AI.

If a cow takes close to 180 days to breed every year, then every three years you have lost a calf.

Take care.

Hill Creek Farm":1y26eiuk said:
Listen, I have 30 cowsin one pasture with one bull named Red Oak.

Matt, just the other day you said Red Oak was in Ohio. Do you have him at your place now?

3MR":3brduwq7 said:

You have still given them two chances in one season without wasted time or upkeep.

After 90 days if they havent taken you get rid of them. I know you said you had excellent heard bulls, but how do you know what the breeding ability of the cows is?

I know you said you dont AI much because you have excellent heard bulls, but the bull isnt the only reason to AI.

If a cow takes close to 180 days to breed every year, then every three years you have lost a calf.

Take care.
I don't AI., all the cattle run with the bulls for 90days. 30 cows in with one bull in one pasture for 90 days. The other herd of 30 in one pasture with one bull for 90 days. Then after 90 days, I preg check and ultrasound. Understand? :cboy:

dun":2h02se6v said:
Hill Creek Farm":2h02se6v said:
I leave my bull in for 90 days, preg check at 90 days and if there is a cow open, I put that cow back in with the bull that she has been in the pastures with for 90 days. NOW do you and everyone else understand? :cboy:

I understand, but not the reason. What is the high performance part of them? A 180 day breeding season sure doesn;t seem like you're challenging them to perform in the fertility arena.

dun
Dun, if a cow isn't bred in the 90 day period, then I put the cow or cows back in with the bull that they were in the pasture with. I don't do a 180 day breeding season. So, I don't know where you got that from? Take care. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":1z8evknq said:
3MR":1z8evknq said:

Take care.
I don't AI., all the cattle run with the bulls for 90days. 30 cows in with one bull in one pasture for 90 days. The other herd of 30 in one pasture with one bull for 90 days. Then after 90 days, I preg check and ultrasound. Understand? :cboy:

Dude, take a step back and breath a minute.

As a matter of fact I dont Understand.

I asked why you chose not to do something a certain way. Instead of asnwering the question you just repeated what you had already stated.

If I understood I wouldnt have asked the question. Im not jumping on the "Lets run HCF down" wagon, I just simply had a question. Im sorry I asked. I shall go someplace else now, have a good day!

Hill Creek Farm":n7k0z4ve said:
dun":n7k0z4ve said:
Hill Creek Farm":n7k0z4ve said:

dun
Dun, if a cow isn't bred in the 90 day period, then I put the cow or cows back in with the bull that they were in the pasture with. I don't do a 180 day breeding season. So, I don't know where you got that from? Take care. :cboy:

If she's open after 90 days and you put her back in with the bull, when do you preg check her again. Too many 90s floating around for me to keep track of. And why would anyone want cows that would need 90 days or more to breed? Fertility isn;t very highly heritable trait, but it is still a heritable trait. But I'm one of those wachos that thinks a 45 day breeding season is adequate, longer then that or slipping them to a different calving season just contributes to poor fertility and undesirable underachieving animals.

dun

Latest posts