Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
plbcattle":25wmy60w said:
starting out so young, i mean in terms of having a sale so soon. You will have a difficult time selling eggs that are not in prominent herds. These eggs need to be out of very proven donors and top Herd sires. If you are still building your herd it will serve you better to put these eggs in rather than sell them. If you sell 100 eggs at $300 apeice,($30,000) if you take those 100 eggs and have 55 calves at selling time of averaging a low end $2000 will be $110,000) you will be way behind as opposed to having those eggs turned into calves. If you look at production sales they have hundreads of cattle and have a hard time every year keeping replacments and finding quality animals to sale. I think people are just telling you to research and slow down a little. This is not against you but they are looking out for a fellow farmer.

Well, I would agree - but this time I stuck my nose in with a great deal of trepidation.

No more. Time to mind my own business on this topic.

Stay well,

Bez?

Hey, I think the Red Anguses are a much more complimentarary (sp?) breed for the Herefords than the Gelbviehs; but WHY California? The only way you could get farther from your home place is Brazil or some other foreign country. I am just a fat old country boy in a pickup truck, not a multi-millionaire jet setter so there could be something I am missing here, but I like to be hands on in anything I am involved in and I don't see how you can really supervise either operation sufficiently if you spend equal time at both places. I would have thought that you would have wanted your second place within 300 miles of your first place or sold your first farm and relocated to a large enough ranch to handle all of your ambitions. You only have 60 cows, which you rarely AI, in Virginia running with a couple of bulls. No disrespect to you or your farm manager intended; but I could handle that in three hours a day with or without an assistant and would have to spend 4-5 hours a day LOOKING busy. Now you are going to add ANOTHER farm couple at another location so far away from the other farm that sharing tractors, hay balers, welders, etc isn't possible. Even IF you add another 60 cows, you are supporting two to four or more employees and splitting the proceeds with a partner or two. I don't see how this all pencils out.

plbcattle":dzr7o82t said:
starting out so young, i mean in terms of having a sale so soon. You will have a difficult time selling eggs that are not in prominent herds. These eggs need to be out of very proven donors and top Herd sires. If you are still building your herd it will serve you better to put these eggs in rather than sell them. If you sell 100 eggs at $300 apeice,($30,000) if you take those 100 eggs and have 55 calves at selling time of averaging a low end $2000 will be $110,000) you will be way behind as opposed to having those eggs turned into calves. If you look at production sales they have hundreads of cattle and have a hard time every year keeping replacments and finding quality animals to sale. I think people are just telling you to research and slow down a little. This is not against you but they are looking out for a fellow farmer.
I thank everyone for helping me out and taking your alls time to give me advice. Now, about my sale in April 2007. I am sitting on over 700 embryos right now. Take care. :cboy:

[/quote] Now, about my sale in April 2007. I am sitting on over 700 embryos right now. Take care. :cboy:[/quote]

What are you doing, trying to hatch them!

Hutch":uxemdmy0 said:
HillCreekFarm":uxemdmy0 said:
Now, about my sale in April 2007. I am sitting on over 700 embryos right now. Take care. :cboy:

What are you doing, trying to hatch them!

Im sorry, that was just way to funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, about my sale in April 2007. I am sitting on over 700 embryos right now. Take care. :cboy:[/quote]

What are you doing, trying to hatch them![/quote]

Now, about my sale in April 2007. I am sitting on over 700 embryos right now. Take care. :cboy:[/quote]

What are you doing, trying to hatch them![/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol: Very funny

Its none of my business , but why in the world would anybody have 700 embryos . An outfit as big as Express Ranches would not let 700 embryos in inventory build up in the tank like that . It is awfull hard to sell an embryo to anyone if you are no the prominet breeder in a breed. I have seen a many of embryo get frooze and never get put in, even tossed in the trash. In 2 year they are old genetics and nobody will want them. I also have seen a many of one bring 25$ on the sale or even not get a bid at all.. Dont bet the ranch on those embryos being your next bank roll. Im affraid if you bought them all , somebody has already" had thier way with you ". I find alot of breeders get addicted to Flushing , and think they must continue to flush cows to keep up with the big boys , and it sounds cool to say we are flushing a bunch of donors. In a few years you can go to thier dispersal sale .

He could start selling them over the internet like agtech does...

http://www.agtechinc.com/store/detail.c ... Number=XVT

or better yet talk Agtech into adding Hill Creek Herefords to their product line. I would pick up ten to twenty recip type heifers this fall when the big fall runs come and help Hill out when the bidding drops down to $20-30 an embryo next spring; but if we don't get some moisture soon in west Alabama I am not going to plant even green fields much less do the big pasture renovations/planting I had planned.

Brandonm2":xbt3y1ks said:
He could start selling them over the internet like agtech does...

http://www.agtechinc.com/store/detail.c ... Number=XVT

or better yet talk Agtech into adding Hill Creek Herefords to their product line. I would pick up ten to twenty recip type heifers this fall when the big fall runs come and help Hill out when the bidding drops down to $20-30 an embryo next spring; but if we don't get some moisture soon in west Alabama I am not going to plant even green fields much less do the big pasture renovations/planting I had planned.

I think you're supposed to get some rain today or tomorrow.

Where exactly are you located Brandon?

Northeastern Fayette County. I am clearcutting some sweetgum forest and WAS going to plant that and renovate some old fields this fall. Just a simple fescue-ladino clover deal, but this is the dryest I have seen the place in the five years since we bought it. We are taking the skidders to low places where I would not have dared take a truck, the tractor, the dozer, or even my off road golf cart (due to soft ground) back in 2003-2004 when I was building fences and they are not even leaving prints. I will make the decision to go or no go in the first week of August (six weeks for tillage in anticipation of a ~mid Sept planting date); but right now it would look like the Great Dust Bowl after three passes with a disk harrow. We did get some good rain ~Saturday and again Monday; but it is still so dry that both creeks on the place are dry except for stagnant spots and I have a named river on one line that is normally very boatable which I could cross on foot and never have water to knee depth.

What I meant was, I own 700 embryos or roughly right around that number. Also, the cows I am flushing are very proven and very well-known in the Hereford breed. Also, the herd sires I have used for sires are well known as well. Take care you all. Would like you you all to participate if you all would like in the Egg Hunt Sale on April 2nd, 2007. :cboy:

Thanks. We got 1" last Sat. The first measurable rain in quite a while. There is no hay and no grazing until the last few days.

Don't know what we're gonna do this winter except plant everything in ryegrass.

Hope we all get some soon, cause the dry season (Sept.- Oct.) hasn't begun yet.

P.S. I come to Fayette periodically and shoot at the rifle matches they have on the southeast side of town.

Good Luck!

I was talking to a well known breeder, he said he doesn't ever freeze becuase he feels if he is doing his job next years cows are going to be always getting better. So if he froze embryos to use he would be sitting still instead of moving forward.

By the way hill creek, you must have really rich parents, or won the loto. But that is really none of my business

oakcreekfarms":25kxowii said:
I was talking to a well known breeder, he said he doesn't ever freeze becuase he feels if he is doing his job next years cows are going to be always getting better. So if he froze embryos to use he would be sitting still instead of moving forward.

By the way hill creek, you must have really rich parents, or won the loto. But that is really none of my business
No, actually, an inheritance. Take care. :cboy:

Hill Creek you really should slow down I have been showing herefords for 20 years now I have seen people come and go and I have seen ones that come into the business way to fast and fall short very fast. You need to test your theory on how to raise animals and make money at it first. Those big wigs are spotting you boy and they are hunting you down they know where the money is

shutskytj":1bkk5ip0 said:
Hill Creek you really should slow down I have been showing herefords for 20 years now I have seen people come and go and I have seen ones that come into the business way to fast and fall short very fast. You need to test your theory on how to raise animals and make money at it first. Those big wigs are spotting you boy and they are hunting you down they know where the money is

My Grand Father always said "it takes alot longer to earn a dollar than to spend it". Ive seen a lot of breeders come and go in this business over the past 30 years. . The ones that didnt make it were the ones that had "" the money. "" They alwasy seem to run out of money first. Develope a progam of making money , not a program of spending money . You cannot spend your way to the top., but you can spend your way broke in a short time.

polledbull":3ojijrxv said:
shutskytj":3ojijrxv said:

My Grand Father always said "it takes alot longer to earn a dollar than to spend it". Ive seen a lot of breeders come and go in this business over the past 30 years. . The ones that didnt make it were the ones that had "" the money. "" They alwasy seem to run out of money first. Develope a progam of making money , not a program of spending money . You cannot spend your way to the top., but you can spend your way broke in a short time.

Seems like I saw a statistic somehwere that said the average live expectency of a seed store producer was 7 years.

dun

shutskytj":1f0aj9yj said:
I am doing fine. Thanks for worrying about me. You see, my family has been in teh cattle business since 1957 and we have made good money on our cattle over the many years. Now that I run the show, I am running it a little more fast pace than usual, but I am able to keep up. Take care. :cboy:

Latest posts