Just found use for Corriente cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not crazy about it, but that's because I'm a weirdo and want steaks that take more chewing.
When it is cooked right, it is quite a nice meal. But the Japanese places that do it right give you a whole experience and other dishes that go well with that experience, so Waygu is not just about the steak, really. When one cooks it at home, if they aren't a really experienced cook, it can be a big waste of money (almost like trying to make your win Sushi).

And the cattle are cared for more like swine or maybe dairy cattle, in Japan, as least from the videos I've seen. That makes a difference in how they turn out as well, I think.

To be sure, Japanese Waygu next to American beef or even American Waygu still looks very different when compared side by side in the beef section.

And American prime still provides a better, more easily managed cooking and eating experience at home, especially for the price, IMO.

Last edited:
I know very little about ET, once thought about it when buying some Brown Swiss cows during my Charolais days, but never followed through.
The recip cows can be used again the next year correct?
I would think if those inexpensive recips could be used several years they would certainly pay for themselves.
Years ago when I was in registered world they all wanted dairy cows but apparently that didn't work out too well, it seems like now most recips I see are commercial beef cows or even lower end registered cows.
That's what these Brown Swiss/Braunveih cows I just got were. Recips for a registered Charolais breeder. The youngest were 8 , and the oldest was 14, They treat their recips as good as the 5-figure Charolais donors, and these weren.t exactly junk cows either.

So to paraphrase 'Red is the New Black' we will say 'Wagyu is the New Black?
Holy Carp! I can see the rats leaving the ship already. Mark your calendar as 2023 will be the highwater mark for Black Angus registrations.
If this takes off like I think it will Wagyu will become the gold standard of the beef business. [I was going to say Bit Coin but I shall reserve that
for CAB] Assuming you are on the cutting edge of this evolutionary development I can but give you my endorsement...

Google Agribeef and go to their home page. Top of the page is a label Livestock. Click on it and you can read the story of where these ET calves will be going. It says nothing about B's program but I know last year he said they stopped in a bought nearly every bull he had. They only mention the double D up in Loomis WA. They own that ranch along with half a dozen large feedlots. Agribeef owns Washington beef a 1,400 head a day kill plant in Toppenish WA.. A truck driver who delivered steers to that plant told me they kill nothing but Wagyu on Fridays. I know that export to Japan is a huge portion of their business.

I put an entire wagyu in my freezer. It was an embryo implant that didn't work for a downer heifer. I bought the calf for $150, Joshua Texas, and grafted it to a nurse cow I had. Weaned it and fed it out. A heifer. Should have kept it for a breeder. Best thing I have ever had and I have put a lot in my freezers over the last 45 years.

Google Agribeef and go to their home page. Top of the page is a label Livestock. Click on it and you can read the story of where these ET calves will be going. It says nothing about B's program but I know last year he said they stopped in a bought nearly every bull he had. They only mention the double D up in Loomis WA. They own that ranch along with half a dozen large feedlots. Agribeef owns Washington beef a 1,400 head a day kill plant in Toppenish WA.. A truck driver who delivered steers to that plant told me they kill nothing but Wagyu on Fridays. I know that export to Japan is a huge portion of their business.
Thanks Dave -- so likely supplying Snake River Farms brand wagyu. They were buying intact bulls? Interesting. In this region Imperial Beef leases their bulls to ranchers and then Imperial buys all the feeder cattle from the ranchers.

Thanks Dave -- so likely supplying Snake River Farms brand wagyu. They were buying intact bulls? Interesting. In this region Imperial Beef leases their bulls to ranchers and then Imperial buys all the feeder cattle from the ranchers.
Yes they are buying bulls for their bull leasing program. They sort of make it sound like they raise the bull for that program but I know they bought a lot of bulls from B the last 2 years. Maybe their Wagyu program is growing. I know that his F-1 calves didn't go to them.

Wagyu's claim to fame is marbling. As far as I'm concerned, I don't need that much marbling in my meat and I prefer a steak that covers a plate, not a little dinky REA. Plus, there is no way I could go out every day and LOOK at them.
I think a lot of the reason Kobe beef (and Wagyu) is good eating is because of the feed regimen they're on.

I think a lot of the reason Kobe beef (and Wagyu) is good eating is because of the feed regimen they're on.
Yes which is a pretty long winded feed regime from what I hear. How will this go down with Biden's methane reduction targets that he has also got Australia to sign up to? They will be belching a lot of methane in that time. My understanding is the way to reduce methane is to have them on this planet for as short a period as possible is the big goal.

Ken

Yes which is a pretty long winded feed regime from what I hear. How will this go down with Biden's methane reduction targets that he has also got Australia to sign up to? They will be belching a lot of methane in that time. My understanding is the way to reduce methane is to have them on this planet for as short a period as possible is the big goal.

Ken
IMO, methane concern is a red herring as far as that generated by cattle. The planet was perfectly fine when the plains and savannas of the world were over run with migrating herds of ruminants. In fact there are methane eating prokaryotes that evolved right along with ruminants, called "methanotrophs", and they digest naturally occurring methane turning it into components of a healthy atmosphere. Cattle are a net benefit to the the human friendly environment. Bison built the soil of the tall grass prairie and kept it fertile. Cattle have replaced bison in building soil. The bacteria in ruminant guts are essential to good soil.

IMO, methane concern is a red herring as far as that generated by cattle. The planet was perfectly fine when the plains and savannas of the world were over run with migrating herds of ruminants. In fact there are methane eating prokaryotes that evolved right along with ruminants, called "methanotrophs", and they digest naturally occurring methane turning it into components of a healthy atmosphere. Cattle are a net benefit to the the human friendly environment. Bison built the soil of the tall grass prairie and kept it fertile. Cattle have replaced bison in building soil. The bacteria in ruminant guts are essential to good soil.
And, the methane cycle is circular - methane has about a 12-year life cycle before breaking down to CO2 and being taken up by plants again. Cattle and other ruminants don't add methane faster than it breaks down. https://clear.ucdavis.edu/explainers/why-methane-cattle-warms-climate-differently-co2-fossil-fuels

I know very little about ET, once thought about it when buying some Brown Swiss cows during my Charolais days, but never followed through.
The recip cows can be used again the next year correct?
I would think if those inexpensive recips could be used several years they would certainly pay for themselves.
Years ago when I was in registered world they all wanted dairy cows but apparently that didn't work out too well, it seems like now most recips I see are commercial beef cows or even lower end registered cows.
I have embryos from my donor cows. I don't have "bottom end" cows and I always had a hard time putting embryos in any of my cows. But, I finally got it in my head it was no different than that great cow having a natural steer. I'm not putting any of her genetics back into the herd with steers....or embryos.
So any cow that is quality enough to be kept in your herd, is a good recip.

Latest posts