The one and done cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There is 38 cows on the feed row this morning. 32 one and done cows and 6 fall pairs. I don't know why I bought the fall pairs other than they were cheap. The other 2 pictures are 10 one and done cows that I recently bought. They are waiting in the corral for the crew to show up this morning so they can get branded, new ear tags, and vaccinated. Then it is out into the field with the others.

PB103143.JPGPB103144.JPGPB103145.JPG

Are those March/April calver's. I was at the sale barn here in Riverton yesterday and the average for the broken mouth cows were around $1300 give or take a little. I plan on taking some of those one and done to the sale next month. Not sure how I am going to get any replacements bought in this market. I did see one young cow that sold for $700; she was mostly white, not sure what breed with horns. Most likely some sort of cross, she did have a little black on her, but no much.

Hopefully no April calves. I am trying to buy February-March calving cows. But just how accurate is the vet?

Big stock cow sale on Thursday. Full mouth 5-6 month bred cows sold for around $2,400+/-. I saw a group of smooth mouth cows bred 5-6 months bring $1,675. Too rick for my blood or budget.

I usually start calving that first week of March. I have come to believe that preg testing is just an educated guess. A cow I bought last January was suppose to calve in June, she was one of my first ones to calve last March.

Latest posts