Culling Bred Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden

Reaction score
Yes or No: Take Heavy Bred Cows to Market?

I have two heavy bred cows that I really don't like their looks and body comp. I got them as cow/calf pairs in 8/22. They can drop a calf next week or next month, I can't tell. More importantly they should have dropped a calf 4 months ago with the rest. I probably should have sold them back then, but it is what it is.

Is it worth it to wait for the cows another 30 days, feed hay through winter, and sell in March as a cow/calf pair or should I just send them now and cut my losses? The body condition of the cows now is good (not excellent), but once they drop the calves they will drop weight and not look any better. I figure I can get around $1250 a head currently.

Sounds like a possibility they may not be bred, I would check them first would change what market you sell them in but either way they should go. If heavy bred a private sale like with Craiglist might be the way to go, it would save the stress and animal welfare problem of them going through the saleyards.

Ken

@Brute 23 you make a great point, a heavy bred cow does increase its own chances of not ending as a packer cow, which is bit of the moral conundrum I have in my head in deciding if I sell or keep them.

Thanks @wbvs58. I've tried CL in the past and quite frankly it's a hassle since I'm not on property. I will get them checked at the barn sale.

If you take them to the sale, especially if they are older, they'll most likely end up as butcher, even heavy bred. Unless there's a buyer specifically looking for a quick turn 'n burn. Always a gamble.

Hay is an important consideration. But maybe have them preg checked and if they're close, wait until they calve then sell as pairs. There's a high market for bottle calves!

Yes or No: Take Heavy Bred Cows to Market?

I have two heavy bred cows that I really don't like their looks and body comp. I got them as cow/calf pairs in 8/22. They can drop a calf next week or next month, I can't tell. More importantly they should have dropped a calf 4 months ago with the rest. I probably should have sold them back then, but it is what it is.

Is it worth it to wait for the cows another 30 days, feed hay through winter, and sell in March as a cow/calf pair or should I just send them now and cut my losses? The body condition of the cows now is good (not excellent), but once they drop the calves they will drop weight and not look any better. I figure I can get around $1250 a head currently.
Sell 4 months ago. 😁. That being said, I would definitely get rid of them. If not bred, get rid of immediately. If bred, there may be value waiting until the calf drops, but then sell the pair immediately. Hay or no hay, it doesn't sound as if they are benefiting you.

Yours are the kind I have been buying if they are long bred. Send them to me if you don't want them going to the packers. I will delay their demise another 10 months or so.
Your $1250 value will depend on age & current weight if their condition is as you mentioned.

@Brute 23 you make a great point, a heavy bred cow does increase its own chances of not ending as a packer cow, which is bit of the moral conundrum I have in my head in deciding if I sell or keep them.

Thanks @wbvs58. I've tried CL in the past and quite frankly it's a hassle since I'm not on property. I will get them checked at the barn sale.
I hear you on that. I have the same issue with good cows that have been around a while. Having them go down in the pasture is always way worse and really hits the pocket book.

Last edited:
People may not like what I have to say but I will say anyways…animal welfare imo is forefront. "Heavy bred cattle" should not be put through the stress of an Auction Mart. Like TCRanch said they often end up as slaughter and in our neck of woods unfair long transport distances for cattle to the packers in that condition.

I know truckers hauling who have had cows such as yours calving in the liner, en route, calf trampled, cow not much better on arrival. I have also been around the stockyards when others have made the same decision and the cow is calving on the cement or in an alley in the yards, running through the sale with afterbirth and a wet calf or missing the sale completely or the owner with a vet bill cause staff are not dealing with the situation and turns out to be a dystocia when they have a sale to run.

A sure way to give your farm a bad reputation with the local auction mart. A sure way to leave a sour taste in the mouth of some do-gooder looking to point a finger at the husbandry and ethics of the beef farmer.

Find a private buyer like bird dog and let poor timing and a prior bad decision "die" out of the limelight and in a more humane manner...find a buyer where there is no added stress of the auction and where transportation is suitable for "heavy in calf" cattle.

Granted 💩 happens we all want to escape but to shove it off on someone else and pocket your money is imo unethical! Again…not what people want to hear🤷‍♀️

People may not like what I have to say but I will say anyways…animal welfare imo is forefront. "Heavy bred cattle" should not be put through the stress of an Auction Mart. Like TCRanch said they often end up as slaughter and in our neck of woods unfair long transport distances for cattle to the packers in that condition.

I know truckers hauling who have had cows such as yours calving in the liner, en route, calf trampled, cow not much better on arrival. I have also been around the stockyards when others have made the same decision and the cow is calving on the cement or in an alley in the yards, running through the sale with afterbirth and a wet calf or missing the sale completely or the owner with a vet bill cause staff are not dealing with the situation and turns out to be a dystocia when they have a sale to run.

A sure way to give your farm a bad reputation with the local auction mart. A sure way to leave a sour taste in the mouth of some do-gooder looking to point a finger at the husbandry and ethics of the beef farmer.

Find a private buyer like bird dog and let poor timing and a prior bad decision "die" out of the limelight and in a more humane manner...find a buyer where there is no added stress of the auction and where transportation is suitable for "heavy in calf" cattle.

Granted 💩 happens we all want to escape but to shove it off on someone else and pocket your money is imo unethical! Again…not what people want to hear🤷‍♀️
You are certainly welcome to your opinion but it's rooted in some very bad experiences and/or misinformation.

That is not the norm at most places, in my experience.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion but it's rooted in some very bad experiences and/or misinformation.

That is not the norm at most places, in my experience.
Perhaps the local Ag college who took our highschool ag students on a field day and discussed the shipping of "heavy bred cattle" was "rooted in some very bad experiences and/or misinformation"?🤷‍♀️

Perhaps…bad experiences but not misinformation given the fact one of these "incidents" was physically witnessed that day and brought the "heavy bred cattle" in the chain to light and made all the producers and students take note. Again "heavy bred cattle" was mentioned during the humane loading/transport segment and perhaps knowing what we all witnessed in our "back door tour" that day the trucker drummed the point home with his 50 years of experience.🤷‍♀️ "Heavy bred cattle" also came up in the feedlot/finishing conversation with the veterinarian that afternoon. And in Animal health and welfare as it relates to "heavy bred cattle"and their special considerations at their most vulnerable time in life!

Happily, I agree it is not the norm but this was a thread that opened the door to the discussion. I assume, by asking, libertygarden is intent on doing the right thing. My opinion highlighted the dark side of "unload". The responsibility of "unload". That field day shed a whole light on responsibility at every level of the chain on every person there. If this scenario was the norm Brute23 every female would be ultrasounded…they are not for economic reasons and frankly that is not fool proof. Also the assumption/trust that producers at each level are doing our best to keep "heavy breds" out of the chain still holds like a promise.

But there are ones that are missed accidentally, inadvertently or sadly on purpose! And this is a side/opinion of the discussion that is unpleasant. Being a"beginners board" conversation I felt sharing our"beginner lesson" that day important…it left a lasting impression on the experienced, the learning and shed light on perspectives seldom shared because it is so dark, negative, sad and unfortunate. And thankfully rare but it only takes one bad decision to upset the cart!

Do right by your females! If these girls should have calved roughly 4 months ago the owner previous to libertygarden failed…Just saying…had they been more transparent or due diligent perhaps libertygarden wouldn't be in this mess/conundrum today. 🤷‍♀️ Just an opinion and food for thought…

Perhaps the local Ag college who took our highschool ag students on a field day and discussed the shipping of "heavy bred cattle" was "rooted in some very bad experiences and/or misinformation"?🤷‍♀️

Perhaps…bad experiences but not misinformation given the fact one of these "incidents" was physically witnessed that day and brought the "heavy bred cattle" in the chain to light and made all the producers and students take note. Again "heavy bred cattle" was mentioned during the humane loading/transport segment and perhaps knowing what we all witnessed in our "back door tour" that day the trucker drummed the point home with his 50 years of experience.🤷‍♀️ "Heavy bred cattle" also came up in the feedlot/finishing conversation with the veterinarian that afternoon. And in Animal health and welfare as it relates to "heavy bred cattle"and their special considerations at their most vulnerable time in life!

Happily, I agree it is not the norm but this was a thread that opened the door to the discussion. I assume, by asking, libertygarden is intent on doing the right thing. My opinion highlighted the dark side of "unload". The responsibility of "unload". That field day shed a whole light on responsibility at every level of the chain on every person there. If this scenario was the norm Brute23 every female would be ultrasounded…they are not for economic reasons and frankly that is not fool proof. Also the assumption/trust that producers at each level are doing our best to keep "heavy breds" out of the chain still holds like a promise.

But there are ones that are missed accidentally, inadvertently or sadly on purpose! And this is a side/opinion of the discussion that is unpleasant. Being a"beginners board" conversation I felt sharing our"beginner lesson" that day important…it left a lasting impression on the experienced, the learning and shed light on perspectives seldom shared because it is so dark, negative, sad and unfortunate. And thankfully rare but it only takes one bad decision to upset the cart!

Do right by your females! If these girls should have calved roughly 4 months ago the owner previous to libertygarden failed…Just saying…had they been more transparent or due diligent perhaps libertygarden wouldn't be in this mess/conundrum today. 🤷‍♀️ Just an opinion and food for thought…
All that... is completely ridiculous. I can't even... 🙄

@Farm Family I appreciate your viewpoint and concern for animal welfare. I'm not particularly fond of selling heavy bred cows (hence this post), but these ladies are 4 months late. I did not buy them bred, but with weaned calves on the side back in 8/22. They've been with my bull all the time. That said, I spoke to the barn owner and they market the HB cows as such to maximize price so I doubt they'll find themselves dropping calves on a transport enroute to a packer, more likely a local farmer will buy them for his local farm. They are 2nd calf cows, so they've plenty of life ahead of them. Also, we got lots of rain yesterday and we have a very old front moving in. The hauler already warned me that he may not be able to pick'em up. I told him that I'll wait until the weather gets better to call him again. So there you have it. The bred cows have gotten an extension. I hope they drop calves soon.

@Farm Family I appreciate your viewpoint and concern for animal welfare. I'm not particularly fond of selling heavy bred cows (hence this post), but these ladies are 4 months late. I did not buy them bred, but with weaned calves on the side back in 8/22. They've been with my bull all the time. That said, I spoke to the barn owner and they market the HB cows as such to maximize price so I doubt they'll find themselves dropping calves on a transport enroute to a packer, more likely a local farmer will buy them for his local farm. They are 2nd calf cows, so they've plenty of life ahead of them. Also, we got lots of rain yesterday and we have a very old front moving in. The hauler already warned me that he may not be able to pick'em up. I told him that I'll wait until the weather gets better to call him again. So there you have it. The bred cows have gotten an extension. I hope they drop calves soon.
What kind of cows, and how old? And what kind of bull may have bred them?

Latest posts