Culling Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I have to do a better job of culling them problem cows. I had calf fall behind the fencing and the culvert going under the highway yesterday. The cow would not let me get close enough to rescue the little bugger that was born last night. Had to call a friend with a horse to get her into the corral just so I go out and get the calf out. Later after the calf was reunited with mama I went over the culvert to remove some tumbleweeds; the cow came running over to me, and I had to make a dash through the water. A couple years ago I had to jump into the back of the pickup when trying to tag her calf. Today we decided to sort of the cows that have not calve from those who had. Dad let her out of the pen she and the other cows and calves were, she went out with her calf, the next thing she come running back after dad, he had to jump up on the fence. I have two of those that would just love to grind you into the dirt. This fall they are going to find a new herd to roam with.

I have to do a better job of culling them problem cows. I had calf fall behind the fencing and the culvert going under the highway yesterday. The cow would not let me get close enough to rescue the little bugger that was born last night. Had to call a friend with a horse to get her into the corral just so I go out and get the calf out. Later after the calf was reunited with mama I went over the culvert to remove some tumbleweeds; the cow came running over to me, and I had to make a dash through the water. A couple years ago I had to jump into the back of the pickup when trying to tag her calf. Today we decided to sort of the cows that have not calve from those who had. Dad let her out of the pen she and the other cows and calves were, she went out with her calf, the next thing she come running back after dad, he had to jump up on the fence. I have two of those that would just love to grind you into the dirt. This fall they are going to find a new herd to roam with.
It's important to cull those, because new ones tend to come along and before you know it you have a lot of the dirty devils.

Docility is one of the most heritable traits. There are enough docile bulls that no one should be using any that aren't, and keeping cows that will stomp you into a bloody spot in the mud is the best way to retain heifers that will do the same.
Send them down the road and hopefully you'll never buy one of their offspring without knowing in the future.

I totally agree. I never want to worry when I walk around our fields. I calve in individual pens. I don't mind if the cow is aggressive in the pen. She's trapped and can be defensive. But, when I open the gate and turn them out, I best never have to worry about turning my back on one. I don't sell them as a breeder, they get sent to the sale barn.

All of mine get shipped in mid August. Yesterday the neighbor was sorting pairs. I had a couple down on the fence. There was a pair over there. There is an irrigation ditch on my side of the fence. The calf was between the fence and the ditch. This cow put B up on top of his Jeep when we went to tag the calf. That was 5 weeks ago. The calf wouldn't come back. The ditch is too deep to cross sideways with the quad and not enough run between the fence and the ditch to run the quad. I wasn't about to get off the quad as the cow was seriously considering taking on me and the quad. There are 3 of them out there who aren't bluffing. #14, #27, and #32 would all kill a person on foot. I will be happy when they are off to summer pasture next week. Any time getting off the feed truck I look around to make sure none of them are close by.

We have culled several over the years... When we were building up the herd we kept alot and their off spring. Fast forward to today... I'm too darned old to run and get out of their way even with new knees... and even DS said it is not worth it. Plus we are getting rid of any that won't come in when we go out to pastures. One independent witch will take a half dozen calves with them... They don't have to want to be my best friend... just know that they are supposed to come in the pen for a little feed/treat and that I am not their worst enemy when I am working around them. I like them to be watchful in the pasture especially with a new calf... but to listen to and recognize my voice as a "good guy" not a threat.

I used to be the worst at culling for bad udders, bad teats, raising a dink calf, etc. But a bad attitude was gone - even if she raised the biggest calves. I know my girls, and I know which ones get a little testy when they calve - it's not a big deal for me to wait until the next day to tag/work their calf. But I never want to be worried about being around my cattle!

I don't worry about being around these cows. I know what they are and act accordingly. It is not like they will come hunting you. I just make sure to give them lots of space. The calves will get branded next week and that day the pairs get hauled to summer range where there are no people and lots of space. From that point on all their interaction with people will be done by cowboys horseback.

Latest posts