EPDs - Just Out

Help Support CattleToday:

I thought so too.

So I should consider just selling his calves and buying replacements, keeping him longer if he throws #2 calves or better. If I could use him for 5 years it would certainly be cost efficient.

That's an idea I can consider.
Just have to wait and look at his calves. They may be the best ever or junk.

Actually, here's my planned heifer bull. Bought his mom for $450 in August. She looks a bit rough but looked worse at the auction and had a limp, btw. Her limp is gone and she's doing ok on raising him. Don't know if she'll breed back, but will let her add weight and sell in November is she doesn't. I think the little bull's birth weight was around 65. Plan on getting this one tested when he's 18 months 😂.

View attachment 25279
With all due respect you do not have enough numbers to support a closed herd in any capacity that would benefit you. jmo

With all due respect you do not have enough numbers to support a closed herd in any capacity that would benefit you. jmo
Wouldn't even want to try it. That little bull calf is only related to its momma. Will sell her if I do decide to use him.

Currently favoring Angus, Hereford, Brahman type mutts.

I'm a fan of hybrid vigor.

We had our place divided into sixteen 5-acre paddocks and two 10 acre paddocks. Cows moved to a fresh paddock mostly every day, though at some times of peak grass growth, they *might* stay in one paddock for as much as 3 days. They were ALWAYS ready to move to a new paddock... took longer to walk/drive out there than it did to move them, unless there were new stupid baby calves that you'd have to try to get to follow mom & rest of the herd.
80 cows + 20-40 calves would hammer a 5 acre paddock in short order, some times of the year.

The longer they stay in one paddock the more grass that they pee and poop and lie on... and don't/won't eat. We shot for a 21-30 day period before they came back to a previously grazed paddock; longer was better, but sometimes we had to run them through faster.
Wait. Does this mean someone could run 90,000 lbs of beef on 100 acres in Kentucky during the grazing season?

I would be more worried about the cost to feed a bull year around to breed 10-12 cows. I would figure out how to lease one for the breeding season. Or just buy one at the sale yard, turn him out for 60 day, and haul him back to the sale.
You won't even be around by then.
Ok Brute. You win. I'll withdraw from the site. Don't really need this.

Hope it works out well for everyone.

God bless.

Ok Brute. You win. I'll withdraw from the site. Don't really need this.

Hope it works out well for everyone.

God bless.
Don't be like that. I can't believe the way people insult others behind their screens... but I also can't believe how people get butthurt. The guy has some kind of problem but you don't have to let him get to you. Just ignore him.

Latest posts