Just found use for Corriente cows

Help Support CattleToday:

When are you doing this? I'm going out of town soon, but if you're doing it before then and you've really never worked cattle before I'll drive out there and help you. I don't want ya getting hurt.

Also, where are you close to? I can make a few inquiries about getting you some help if I'll be gone.
I won't do it til July. And thanks for the offer! But I think I'll be alright. Going to use the blood test method by drawing tail blood. I actually have a good corral with 6 different pens (all cattle paneled) for cattle and a long loading chute. And the smallest pen is actually bordered by a 7 1/2 foot rock wall on one side and 8' fence with one of those galvanized road barriers on the other side, so the cattle should be handleable. Just short a headgate, but i have a few ideas. And I've watched a lot of cattle handling videos and also make sure I can still run an 8 minute mile or less. Gonna practice hoppin' up onto the fence with my Ariats on and do some stretching beforehand 😂.

Honestly, the most dangerous part of my farming experience hasn't been the cattle, it's been the tractor work involved with owning a larger property. Think I've almost killed myself on the tractor about 3 times. My last 10 hours went pretty well, though, so maybe past the newbie mistakes with the equipment.

A buddy of mine knows a guy that'll preg check anything you have for $10 per locally, he might travel for gas money and his cost.
Don't have a squeeze chute. Gonna use the tail blood method. Might buy a headgate before then, but undecided. Every other aspect of the corral in real good shape.

To the point I insist the cows/farm starts paying for itself, so will take a few more calculated risks. As soon as profit rolls in, I'd like to find a good Preifert s91 second-hand. We'll see.

If you've never done it, it can be hard to tell. It is in fact a matter of either training, education, experience or a combination thereof. Usually not too expensive to have done but I'm not where you are. I won't offer you certifiable preg check results, but I can help you pen and sort and chute them so at least you aren't alone. I'll tell you right now, unless you live on the place or close by, only a fool does much intensive work with cattle alone.

My family will be there. So there will be someone to call the ambulance😂.

Not gonna deny I might be a bit of a fool. Worked two weeks straight last summer without cell reception on most parts of the place 1) Repairing my tanks with a 47hp Tractor and a box blade (I was poor), 2) cutting cedar post fence stays with a chainsaw with no one around (I was still poor:) 3) Repairing a 3 foot drop off on the side of my road with a tractor in a bit iffy circumstances (yup, you guessed it, I was even poorer😂).

In my defense, I didn't get injured, I lost 8 lbs, and both tanks, the road, and the fence are all holding up good so far:).

Loozing after
I'm that fool. I drive every weekend 85 miles to look after the cows.
Looking after/counting/swapping pastures is one thing. Working in a catch pen or corral is another. If you do it by yourself and that works for you, good on ya. I don't personally believe in it, known too many people who got hurt and didn't have anyone close by and had to crawl to safety or lay there or get life flighted. It's not for me.

My family will be there. So there will be someone to call the ambulance😂.

Not gonna deny I might be a bit of a fool. Worked two weeks straight last summer without cell reception on most parts of the place 1) Repairing my tanks with a 47hp Tractor and a box blade (I was poor), 2) cutting cedar post fence stays with a chainsaw with no one around (I was still poor:) 3) Repairing a 3 foot drop off on the side of my road with a tractor in a bit iffy circumstances (yup, you guessed it, I was even poorer😂).

In my defense, I didn't get injured, I lost 8 lbs, and both tanks, the road, and the fence are all holding up good so far:).
As long as somebody will be there. Just wanted to make sure this was going to be safe, I couldn't feel right if I was within driving distance of somebody with no help and didn't help and then they got hurt.

If you've never done it, it can be hard to tell. It is in fact a matter of either training, education, experience or a combination thereof. Usually not too expensive to have done but I'm not where you are. I won't offer you certifiable preg check results, but I can help you pen and sort and chute them so at least you aren't alone. I'll tell you right now, unless you live on the place or close by, only a fool does much intensive work with cattle alone.

For all you other newbies out there on the internet, here are some things I learned on my farm the hard way. Hope you can learn the easy way:

1) If you turn on the cold water at your sink in Texas but your pex pipe is sitting on the top of the ground outside during an 111F day, you will burn your hands.

2) You can get heat stroke simply checking your 6 trail cams during July in Texas. The deer are still growing their horns and you won't be able to tell anything, anyway. Buy long-lasting batteries and wait till September to bother.

3) If you walk out on your cabin porch at 8:00 p.m. and feel like everything has cooled off remarkably but then look at your thermometer and it's still 98F, don't plan on working the next day. Again, heat stroke.

4) Chainsaw chains come loose A LOT. Carry your chainsaw tools with you or you'll spend 45 minutes going back to the cabin.

5) If you use improper tree-cutting techniques, your chainsaw blade will get stuck in the tree. It will take another chainsaw to get it unstuck.

6) Don't stand under a tree branch when you are cutting it.

7) Don't touch the muffler of a chainsaw that you have been running nonstop for one hour with your bare hands.

8) If you don't wear bug repellant:
a) You will have to get up at 1:00 a.m. in the morning to take a Clorox bath to kill your new-found chigger friends.
b) Fire ants like to bore trough the wooden floors in old cabins and make nests under the Clorox bottle containing the Clorox you need to use to kill your new-found chigger friends.
c) A combination of Clorox and wasp spray WILL NOT effectively kill fire ants, but it will piss them off enough to make them run up the side of the old bathtub in your fire-ant-infested-100-year-old Texas cabin, climb into the Clorox water you are using to kill your new-found chigger friends, and bite your A#$ with a vengeance, even at 1 a.m. in the morning!
d) That same combination of Clorox and wasp spray WILL produce an abundance of toxic, carcinogenic fumes.

God Bless and may you all learn the easy way! (But I imagine, knowing my fellow Texans, not many of you will😂.

I installed the preifert 91 in 2021 to portable panels. It's ok but it's not a squeeze chute. And with bulls, I'd sure want that thing bolted on to RR ties.
If I get a headgate, I'll probably use drill stem pipe, concrete, and my dad's welder to get it fixed in the ground. Dad always over engineers things by about 3x, so not worried.

You should see the water system he made me put in:

Four water troughs in different paddocks connected to the well by 1"pex, cattle panel cages around all the float valves that are t-posted into the ground and tied to a fence on one end, brass fittings with those metal-reinforced hoses to prevent hose breakage, brass taps, etc. AND we have two stock tanks.

Don't think the old man cares if I make money.

For all you other newbies out there on the internet, here are some things I learned on my farm the hard way. Hope you can learn the easy way:

1) If you turn on the cold water at your sink in Texas but your pex pipe is sitting on the top of the ground outside during an 111F day, you will burn your hands.

2) You can get heat stroke simply checking your 6 trail cams during July in Texas. The deer are still growing their horns and you won't be able to tell anything, anyway. Buy long-lasting batteries and wait till September to bother.

3) If you walk out on your cabin porch at 8:00 p.m. and feel like everything has cooled off remarkably but then look at your thermometer and it's still 98F, don't plan on working the next day. Again, heat stroke.

4) Chainsaw chains come loose A LOT. Carry your chainsaw tools with you or you'll spend 45 minutes going back to the cabin.

5) If you use improper tree-cutting techniques, your chainsaw blade will get stuck in the tree. It will take another chainsaw to get it unstuck.

7) Don't touch the muffler of a chainsaw that you have been running nonstop for one hour with your bare hands.

a) You will have to get up at 1:00 a.m. in the morning to take a Clorox bath to kill your new-found chigger friends.
b) Fire ants like to bore trough the wooden floors in old cabins and make nests under the Clorox bottle containing the Clorox you need to use to kill your new-found chigger friends.
c) A combination of Clorox and wasp spray WILL NOT effectively kill fire ants, but it will piss them off enough to make them run up the side of the old bathtub in your fire-ant-infested-100-year-old Texas cabin, climb into the Clorox water you are using to kill your new-found chigger friends, and bite your A#$ with a vengeance, even at 1 a.m. in the morning!
d) That same combination of Clorox and wasp spray WILL produce an abundance of toxic, carcinogenic fumes.

God Bless and may you all learn the easy way! (But I imagine, knowing my fellow Texans, not many of you will😂.
You really need to post this to the Daily Chuckle thread.

I'm not a newbie, I've been doing this for over 20 years, though I still learn often that I dont always know as much as I think I do, but thanks anyway. Never done the clorox ones, so I guess I still learned something.

Anyway, I won't be in Texas in July unless I drift back in for the 4th. Got a ranch to stock in another state. If you end up wanting or needing help, hit me up. I can't make promises but I can make phone calls.

Latest posts