Just found use for Corriente cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I just helped run a bunch of worn out roping heifers through the chute. They were used as recept cows for ET. The ET Wagyu calves they are now carrying will sell for $2,500 as yearlings. There was a 70% success rate on the 30 some cows we ran through. I don't know what the flush and implant cost him but he was very happy with the results. B told the vet that if he wanted more he could make a few phone calls offering $300 a head and have 1,000 of them by the time he went to bed tonight. But he is working on a deal for a bunch of open longhorn cows. They both said it was better to use cows that had already raised a calf or two. We also talked about buying cows when a very young calf at her side. That gives you a calf to sell while waiting for the Wagyu to be born and grow. One down side on this deal using Corriente is he is out 2 years before there is any income.

I just helped run a bunch of worn out roping heifers through the chute. They were used as recept cows for ET. The ET Wagyu calves they are now carrying will sell for $2,500 as yearlings. There was a 70% success rate on the 30 some cows we ran through. I don't know what the flush and implant cost him but he was very happy with the results. B told the vet that if he wanted more he could make a few phone calls offering $300 a head and have 1,000 of them by the time he went to bed tonight. But he is working on a deal for a bunch of open longhorn cows. They both said it was better to use cows that had already raised a calf or two. We also talked about buying cows when a very young calf at her side. That gives you a calf to sell while waiting for the Wagyu to be born and grow. One down side on this deal using Corriente is he is out 2 years before there is any income.

Which beef company is he selling those calves to? Are these his own embryos or is the beef company supplying them?

I wish I had a larger herd and I'd do the same thing -- but I'm to small for a company like Imperial Waygu to bother with.

I like it. My uncle has been messing around with some wagyu for a few years. I just got to try some steaks of his first which was a group of red Angus heifers x a wagyu bull. If I was trying to do direct selling of freezer beef I would sure be looking at wagyu.

He deals with Agribeef. These are his own embryos. He flushes some of his cows and used semen from a bull he owns. Did 30 some today. These will be fall calves. Plans doing enough for spring calves to have a total of 100. A month ago or so we loaded out a semi of mainly yearling bulls. As the truck pulled out he said something about the driver having enough insurance to cover the load. Then he quoted a figure which about knocked me over. The young man there counting number etc when loading out had a Agribeef jacket on. The cattle were headed to Caldwell Idaho. That is where Agribeef has a feedlot.

Last edited:
On the outside.
Actually, @libertygarden, you are on to something, there. Waygu just happen to be direct descendants of Corrientes, but as I was chastised for providing the TRUE history of the corriente breed, I'll refrain.

But follow your instincts, liberty. Follow your instincts. It's people just like you who can lead to the liberation of our minds!🧐😜

Source?
Corrientes are of Spanish origin and Waygu decend from Japaneese Kobe beef.
Well, it would be an attempt a humor. I'm not sure anyone really appreciates it, and I learn a lot from these chats. You can check out my posts on Corrientes in the thread on The Pharo Cattle Co, specifically the one on the history of Corrientes and why they are distinct from Crillo cattle. If you still then want me to share why Waygu are direct descendants of Corriente cattle, I'll try to post my second history of how a breed developed.

But I don't really want to piss anyone off, either. Was just having fun.

And, if you want to join my new Registry for Corriente cattle, you can let me know in that chat to:).

There is one reason and one reason only why he is using these Correintes for Embryo Transplants. They are one step above free. He is not breeding them and will never breed them. As he was explaining to the vet there are thousands of these over grown roping cattle available this time of the year. Their owners lease them to people to rope. They make their money from the lease. When they finally grow too big or get sour from having been roped hundreds of times they get sold. But there is no market for them. So by utilizing ET these cows can raise a totally unrelated calf that has value. The down sides are it is two years out before having anything to sell. And there is very little salvage value to the cow once you are done with her.

There is one reason and one reason only why he is using these Correintes for Embryo Transplants. They are one step above free. He is not breeding them and will never breed them. As he was explaining to the vet there are thousands of these over grown roping cattle available this time of the year. Their owners lease them to people to rope. They make their money from the lease. When they finally grow too big or get sour from having been roped hundreds of times they get sold. But there is no market for them. So by utilizing ET these cows can raise a totally unrelated calf that has value. The down sides are it is two years out before having anything to sell. And there is very little salvage value to the cow once you are done with her.
I would assume that he would keep the good recips for several years, not just one and done? $300 over 5 or 6 years seems a little more bearable without salvage, maybe, especially if they are raising good high value calves.

I would assume that he would keep the good recips for several years, not just one and done? $300 over 5 or 6 years seems a little more bearable without salvage, maybe, especially if they are raising good high value calves.
How long will they be kept? That part I don't know. The 10 head that didn't take with the ET? One that slips a calf or for some other reason doesn't bring in a calf at weaning time? I would doubt they will get a second chance. How many of these Correintes he will try? I know he is working a deal on some Longhorn cows who came in open. 3, 4, & 5 year old cows that have raised a calf. The vet said higher success rate with those kind of cows.

We do the same thing for bucker calf embryos. Corrientes and longhorns as recips works pretty well for us. My wife's cousin puts in wagyu embryos for people but we haven't tried any of those yet, I see it in the future though.

So, if you have a quality embryo, most won't be dinky little calves. Do the Corrientes regulate the size of the fetus like Longhorn cattle do?
At least my old brain thinks it's the Longhorn breed that regulates how big the fetus will grow.

So, if you have a quality embryo, most won't be dinky little calves. Do the Corrientes regulate the size of the fetus like Longhorn cattle do?
At least my old brain thinks it's the Longhorn breed that regulates how big the fetus will grow.
I think wagyu as a rule are small calves, aren't they?

I've never eaten Wagyu, but I've eaten plenty of good corriente. I can't bring myself to shell out so much money for a cow that looks like $300 cow. Is the Wagyu beef that much better over an angus steak to justify their crazy price?

I've never eaten Wagyu, but I've eaten plenty of good corriente. I can't bring myself to shell out so much money for a cow that looks like $300 cow. Is the Wagyu beef that much better over an angus steak to justify their crazy price?
I'm not crazy about it, but that's because I'm a weirdo and want steaks that take more chewing.

I know very little about ET, once thought about it when buying some Brown Swiss cows during my Charolais days, but never followed through.
The recip cows can be used again the next year correct?
I would think if those inexpensive recips could be used several years they would certainly pay for themselves.
Years ago when I was in registered world they all wanted dairy cows but apparently that didn't work out too well, it seems like now most recips I see are commercial beef cows or even lower end registered cows.

Latest posts