Just found use for Corriente cows

Help Support CattleToday:

The fact that Corriente is considered a breed is an oxymoron in itself. It's a mutt. The word corriente has many meanings but in the context of dogs and cattle, without ambiguity it means mutt. I had mutt dog as a kid named 220.

I like your black cow @rocfarm. She'll give nice calves with a good bull.

I like the metaphorical sound of current or steam. It implies they flow where they want to
Take out your top or bottom wire and she just might.

The fact that Corriente is considered a breed is an oxymoron in itself. It's a mutt. The word corriente has many meanings but in the context of dogs and cattle, without ambiguity it means mutt.
Again, I'm aware of the contextual meaning, just cleaning up the dictionary term in case a scholar gets drunk and stumbles here first instead of Rosetta Stone.

Question ..... do Corriente cows give enough milk to raise decent calf that will reach it's genetic potential?
Definitely. This guy I bought some steers from has Corriente cows that he uses as recip cows for some high dollar Plummer cows that produced NFR qualifiers. They are weaning off 600 lb, six month old calves that are as tall as they are. Funny to watch them nursing.

The fact that Corriente is considered a breed is an oxymoron in itself. It's a mutt. The word corriente has many meanings but in the context of dogs and cattle, without ambiguity it means mutt. I had mutt dog as a kid named 220.

I like your black cow @rocfarm. She'll give nice calves with a good bull.
Well, I couldn't afford a good bull, either 😂. By the time I got to buying the cattle, I was out of money from buying the tractor, bush hog, box blade, pipe layer, grapple, pats easy change, cultipacker, seed spreader, water troughs, portable fence reels, fence posts, solar charged fence chargers, grounding rods, etc…

So I got cheap cattle. But I wasn't expecting to make money off the cows anyway, and they're in heaven cause my place is way under stocked. It is a fun process, though. Might accidentally not lose as much as I thought I would, though 😂.

Well, I couldn't afford a good bull, either 😂. By the time I got to buying the cattle, I was out of money from buying the tractor, bush hog, box blade, pipe layer, grapple, pats easy change, cuktipacker, seed spreader, water troughs, portable fence reels, fence posts, solar charged fence chargers, grounding rods, etc…

So I got cheap cattle. But I wasn't expecting to make money if the cows anyway, and they're in heaven cause my place is way under stocked. It is a fun process, though. Might accidentally not lose as much as I thought I would, though 😂.
There's a few ways to play this game and that's one of them.

There's a few ways to play this game and that's one of them.
As I posted in the other chat on land prices, they told me I was rich down at the tax office this year, if in an indirect way. Not sure if I'm buying it, though.

Seems like this ranching stuff is a cash-negative business, though, not unlike owning a sports team or some other such business.

But I'd definitely like to get to the University of Texas model of actually making money off my program!

Don't want to be Green Bay forever.

Here's a couple of my friends longhorn/corriente/angus mutts.. Yotes don't stand a chance, and if you want to band or tag that calf, you better be on your toes and get it done before it's a half hour old, because after that you ain't catching it!

20180902_105034.jpg

Buddy was out of town for work when this one had her 2nd calf and she needed some help, I somehow managed to get her into a barn and found some bale twine and pulled the calf.. she has been ungrateful toward me since and that was like 8 years ago
Oh, her name is "Rainbow".. *squints*
20180902_103711_HDR.jpg

As I posted in the other chat on land prices, they told me I was rich down at the tax office this year, if in an indirect way. Not sure if I'm buying it, though.

Seems like this ranching stuff is a cash-negative business, though, not unlike owning a sports team or some other such business.

But I'd definitely like to get to the University of Texas model of actually making money off my program!

Don't want to be Green Bay forever.
It depends a lot on how you do it.

Yes which is a pretty long winded feed regime from what I hear. How will this go down with Biden's methane reduction targets that he has also got Australia to sign up to? They will be belching a lot of methane in that time. My understanding is the way to reduce methane is to have them on this planet for as short a period as possible is the big goal.

Ken
IMO, methane concern is a red herring as far as that generated by cattle. The planet was perfectly fine when the plains and savannas of the world were over run with migrating herds of ruminants. In fact there are methane eating prokaryotes that evolved right along with ruminants, called "methanotrophs", and they digest naturally occurring methane turning it into components of a healthy atmosphere. Cattle are a net benefit to the the human friendly environment. Bison built the soil of the tall grass prairie and kept it fertile. Cattle have replaced bison in building soil. The bacteria in ruminant guts are essential to good soil.
I totally agree Travlr but unfortunately there are people in high places including your president, NZ prime minister and leaders of European countries that think cattle are the cause of all their problems so it is best not to just brush it under the carpet.

Ken

Here's a couple of my friends longhorn/corriente/angus mutts.. Yotes don't stand a chance, and if you want to band or tag that calf, you better be on your toes and get it done before it's a half hour old, because after that you ain't catching it!

View attachment 24720

Buddy was out of town for work when this one had her 2nd calf and she needed some help, I somehow managed to get her into a barn and found some bale twine and pulled the calf.. she has been ungrateful toward me since and that was like 8 years ago
Oh, her name is "Rainbow".. *squints*
View attachment 24719
Not even sure if I'm gonna try to tag a calf if I get one off of mine. And, at least your friend doesn't have to worry about wranglers! Seems like we forgot to mention that Corrientes also come with a built-in theft prevention system.

Not even sure if I'm gonna try to tag a calf if I get one off of mine. And, at least your friend doesn't have to worry about wranglers! Seems like we forgot to mention that Corrientes also come with a built-in theft prevention system.
Maybe on never handled Correintes. The only ones I have ever been around are old worn out ropers. They have had all the fight jerked out of them. Your standard old beef cow of any breed has more fight or flight in them.

Maybe on never handled Correintes. The only ones I have ever been around are old worn out ropers. They have had all the fight jerked out of them. Your standard old beef cow of any breed has more fight or flight in them.
Im gonna preg check a corriente, a Hereford, a black baldie, a red baldie, a 3/4 angus that is a bit goggle-eyed and might be in-bred, a skittish red angus, and an F-1 Braford come summer. Figure I'll find out which ones have personality problems then. Hoping I don't end up in the emergency room😂. Will be my first time working cattle.

My neighbor used to run real longhorns here.. They were really nice cows, and surprisingly docile.. and I do like the looks of them

Im gonna preg check a corriente, a Hereford, a black baldie, a red baldie, a 3/4 angus that is a bit goggle-eyed and might be in-bred, a skittish red angus, and an F-1 Braford come summer. Figure I'll find out which ones have personality problems then. Hoping I don't end up in the emergency room😂. Will be my first time working cattle.
When are you doing this? I'm going out of town soon, but if you're doing it before then and you've really never worked cattle before I'll drive out there and help you. I don't want ya getting hurt.

Also, where are you close to? I can make a few inquiries about getting you some help if I'll be gone.

@50/50Farms Do you know what is the cost of a vet to preg check? Is it something that requires a lot of training to learn?
If you've never done it, it can be hard to tell. It is in fact a matter of either training, education, experience or a combination thereof. Usually not too expensive to have done but I'm not where you are. I won't offer you certifiable preg check results, but I can help you pen and sort and chute them so at least you aren't alone. I'll tell you right now, unless you live on the place or close by, only a fool does much intensive work with cattle alone.

Latest posts