Its Soup Season!!

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
Have the beginnings of vegatable beef on the stove ~ kids were so excited its time for soup. After this its chicken noodle, then wild rice, then ~ you get the picture. Keep it in the frig, the first night its what for supper, after that its an eat as you want. Anyhow ~ does anyone have any really good soup recipes out there? We eat everything so don't hesitate to send it by! I would appreciate it, by the end of winter my rotation gets old.

Oh I forgot about ham and beans. We use hocks and split peas. I know, I enjoy it too. There has to be a bonus.....

I think maybe I wrote about my chicken and dumplings ~ couldn;t get the dog to eat it :oops: :roll:

warpaint":36uvmqpx said:
I like to make "Dago Cabbage", (no racial or ethnic pun intended).

Makes my mouth water just thinkin about it.
Sooooo ~ I looked in Swedish Luthern cookbook and I can't find "Dago Cabbage" I don't even know what "dago" means. Anyhow ~ share. How do I make it?

I made a big pot of clam chowder on Tuesday night. I didn't have to cook last night just heated it back up. There is probably one more meal of it left.
I had some razor clams in the freezer that had been there a little too long for frying but they still made great chowder.

Albondigas Soup. It's a mexcian soup that is to die for.
I'll get you the recipe if my wife will give it away. By the way, I love homemade soups. Everybody post thier recipes. That's an order. :D

angie":1ck2n2ma said:
warpaint":1ck2n2ma said:
I like to make "Dago Cabbage", (no racial or ethnic pun intended).

Makes my mouth water just thinkin about it.
Sooooo ~ I looked in Swedish Luthern cookbook and I can't find "Dago Cabbage" I don't even know what "dago" means. Anyhow ~ share. How do I make it?

Well, lets see,
I don't have this wrote down anywhere, so I just have to wing it.

1 head of cabbage
1 lb italian sausage
1 big can crushed tomatoes
1 lb. hamburger
1 bell pepper
1 onion
1 large can kidney beans, (or whatever, pintos, etc)

-Brown hamburger and sausage.
-Pour tomatoes and beans, (juice and all), into a medium to large pot. Bring to simmer. Add cabbage. ( I dont add any more water as the cabbage adds as it cooks down.)
-After the cabbage has begun to soften, add the meats, and diced onion and pepper.
-season to taste.

-Dont get none on your forehead, cause your tongue will beat your brains out tryin to get to it.

warpaint":2wder0pq said:
-Dont get none on your forehead, cause your tongue will beat your brains out tryin to get to it.
Hilarious!

Thank you. Will try it next instead of chicken noodle and let you know. :nod:

I will post my wild rice one on here later ~ its kids' favorite and mine too.

My husband makes clam chowder (which I like in that white base), but he puts tomato juice in it. I don't care so much for that.

I don't think anyone down south would care for my chili ~ its about as spicy as ketchup (we are babies :roll: ), but I will make spicy soup for my husband, he likes it hot, hot, hot!

When we lived in Alaska I made a salmon chowder that was fan-freaking-tastic, but I can't find the recipe now.

My kids used to just love plain ol' hamburger soup:

Brown hamburg and a small chopped onion
Add lots of diced potatoes
Add a big can of beef broth
simmer till potatoes are done
serve with fresh bread or garlic bread

OH, Jeez!! am I getting hungry :shock: gonna have to go eat now.

One of the few good things about spending the Winters in the frozen North country 8) Soup, soup, and more soup, very hot of course. And a nice HOT wood fire.

The Boss is at a meeting in ST Cloud today. Sure hope she makes it home for the Packer/Cowboy game.

Angie this is so weird. I started a pot this a.m. 8) I really don't follow a lot of recipes though. I just start thowing things in and then start spicing it up however I want.

mnmt, sounds like your cold and lonely for the Boss Lady. Hope she gets home safely :D

Nice and cold here today, if you want a laugh with your soup let me know and I'll tell you about how wet I got trying to water the cattle :oops:

CKC1586":35pr5s1y said:

My sister makes that one all the time.Except hers calls for pot barley and pilsner beer.We used to have it a couple times a month when we roomed together.You make a pot and it would last a week. :D

I made a big pot of cream of potato and leek soup last week.First night is for supper after that it is used as lunches.

Definitely soup weather here (roast weather also), we were at minus 22 last night :cry: .

hillsdown":z6ab6oko said:
CKC1586":z6ab6oko said:

My sister makes that one all the time.Except hers calls for pot barley and pilsner beer.We used to have it a couple times a month when we roomed together.You make a pot and it would last a week. :D

I made a big pot of cream of potato and leek soup last week.First night is for supper after that it is used as lunches.

Definitely soup weather here (roast weather also), we were at minus 22 last night :cry: .

Oh yes the cream of potato is another of the kids favorite, sure like their taters! I make it with bacon tho.
They also liked hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes. Haven't made the potato soup or hamburg gravy in a long time.

Angus/Brangus":1b0to4cp said:
I have some meat coming from an Axis deer and I'm gonna get a good stew going in the crockpot with some of it. Add carrots, potatoes and a little chopped celery with little water with seasonings. 6 hours on low and ladle it over some wild rice. Good stuff!!

that sounds excellent. We just filled freezer with deer meat and is good to have different things to do with it. I'm thinking it would be good in CKC1586's soup too.

Misty, I don't usually follow recipes either. Thats why I can't give recipe for vegetable beef or chili or split pea or chicken noodle. BUT wild rice recipe is coming........

I hate getting wet watering cattle. When the hose freezes, we have to carry from bathtub to barn, 5 gallon buckets full, one in each hand. Anyhow, by the time its all over I am drenched from the knees down and my pants are stiff from freezing. I don't think we could do it anymore, too many cattle now (is there such a thing as too many cattle?).

I'm with Dave, I haven't made any clam chowder yet this winter, Clams, bacon, potatoes, onions, white pepper, milk and wondra to thicken it with topped with a slab of butter. Potato soup is about the same without the clams. Love homemade chile, the only problem is it starts to really getting good on the third day but by then it's about gone.

Alan

Alan, what is wondra? Also, do you ever use cream or 1/2 and1/2 in your soup? I use it in wild rice....

Ya the whole recipe thing is tough. My Mom had lots of recipes but she never really followed them so basically they are just guides. She made the very best vegetable beef soup ever and I tried my hardest to get mine close to hers and just couldn't. Then finally figured out my problem was that she added cabbage (shredded) to hers. Finally got it right. She used to put the cabbage (just a bit) in her beans and hocks soup.
Ground venison is great in chili too. I'm thinking with all this soup talk it is time to brew up a big pot of chili.
My toes are still thawing out, was working outside most of the day. Wish I had thought of the chili this morning!

New Mexico Green Chile Tortilla Soup (yum, yum, yum)

1 chopped med. onion
1 tbsp. olive oil
Lots of hot, hot, hot green chile. :D :D
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 diced tomato
2 tsp. ground red chile powder
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. cilantro chopped
6 blue corn tortillas, cut into 1/4" strips and fried till crisp, (oil of your choice.)

In a large sauce pan
Saute onion and green chile in olive oil. Add broth and chicken, simmer for 20 min. Add diced tomato and cook 5 min. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Ladle into bowls and top with blue corn tortilla strips. :D :D :D :heart: :D :D :D

Latest posts