Its Soup Season!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Boy howdy ;-) ;-) if this keeps up everybody on here will start looking like Crowder's wimmin.

Cal

Warpaint, I don;t know if you've read or not but I rehab baby animals for DRN. I am partial to opposums ~ something about there spit and sass in response to my kind efforts appeals to me. Guess thats what keeps me going on the boards

I'm kinda partial to em too. Can't ya tell? :shock:

MistyMorning":2oftbq4m said:
Angie this is so weird. I started a pot this a.m. 8) I really don't follow a lot of recipes though. I just start thowing things in and then start spicing it up however I want.

mnmt, sounds like your cold and lonely for the Boss Lady. Hope she gets home safely :D

Nice and cold here today, if you want a laugh with your soup let me know and I'll tell you about how wet I got trying to water the cattle :oops:

Misty, got home from the ranch early today. Feed the cows now I'm feeding the fire. Just to cold for me to do anymore then I have to. Did kill a couple chickens and got them in a big pot boiling. Gonna be enough for me and Boss all weekend. Some carrots, cabbage, celery, onion, those big fat noodles, whatever seasoning I can find. Can't be anything hot, the Boss is a Norwegian Lady, even black pepper is to hot :roll:

And We would love to hear about Your cattle watering adventures. 8) 8) To bad those folks down in the banana belt couldn't help us with chores for a few days. :eek: :shock: :shock: :help:

CKC1586":111r6wct said:
Ya the whole recipe thing is tough. My Mom had lots of recipes but she never really followed them so basically they are just guides. She made the very best vegetable beef soup ever and I tried my hardest to get mine close to hers and just couldn't. Then finally figured out my problem was that she added cabbage (shredded) to hers. Finally got it right. She used to put the cabbage (just a bit) in her beans and hocks soup.
Ground venison is great in chili too. I'm thinking with all this soup talk it is time to brew up a big pot of chili.
My toes are still thawing out, was working outside most of the day. Wish I had thought of the chili this morning!

Your mom was right - some of the best soups are made with guides, not strict recipes. Also. the cabbage thing. It's a staple in my homemade chicken noodle and vegetable beef soups. Put it in early, and it cooks down. Lots of flavor!

Anyone know the trick for not burning split pea soup? I always seem to do that! :oops:

Okay, I am a little late to the party but try this. I call it Spicy Bean Stew.

Brown 1 pound of spicy sausage then brown
1 whole onion diced
add large clove of garlic, diced when the onions are almost soft. Don't brown the garlic, it will be bitter.

Add 1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili beans
1 can yellow hominy
green chilis
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

If its too thick to simmer down, add a cup or two of chicken broth. Stir all together and let simmer.

Green Creek":2peoy43c said:

1 whole onion diced
add large clove of garlic, diced when the onions are almost soft. Don't brown the garlic, it will be bitter.

Add 1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili beans
1 can yellow hominy
green chilis
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

If its too thick to simmer down, add a cup or two of chicken broth. Stir all together and let simmer.

You lost me at the hominy. :mrgreen:
I refuse to eat that iron tastin stuff. I love me some grits, but thats where I draw the line. Rest of it looks good though.

Green Creek":14fq9plp said:

1 whole onion diced

Add 1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili beans
1 can yellow hominy
green chilis
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

oh ya
gots to be good "GREEN CHILE" :D :D :D

angie":3jk2yd0k said:
show steer up":3jk2yd0k said:
New Mexico Green Chile Tortilla Soup (yum, yum, yum)

My husband saw this one and said "lets try that next!" (he likes spicy/hot stuff).

Then he checked the location of SSU and said he didn't think they ate soup in NM. :roll:
Is kinda funny. I mentioned before that we eat hot weather food and cold weather food. Soup is only cold weather food even though it is a favorite. Its interesting to learn that what we think of other parts of the country are not always what is true. Amazing what you can learn on soup thread :nod:

HA HA HA HA HA

Let me have a chat with hubby :D

I now it's hard to believe dear, but it's snowing as I type.
It's a hot 31 degrees with a wind chill of f-ing cold.

The steers went in the barn last night and we havent seen them since. Seams that the little darlings need a hot meal too.

Im making wild rice soup today :D :D
New Mexico style
"GREEN CHILE" hot and wild rice soup :shock:

gotta love it :D

warpaint":1k2w7fh6 said:
Now ya'll done went an made me hungry, think I'll have me some of my favorite canned soup for lunch,

k9pken1196222402.jpg

;-)

No, NO, No

Now ya'll done made me barf.

Thats like eating rat cream soup, big rat cream soup.
Sorry WP the picture did it to me. :mrgreen:

Green Creek":1i6zuivf said:

1 whole onion diced

Add 1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili beans
1 can yellow hominy
green chilis
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

On second thought, you might want to cut the cumin in half until you see how you like it.

Here it is;

Fluffy Dumplings
1c sifted all purpose flour
2t baking powder
1/2t salt
1/2c milk
2T vegtable oil
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring till moistened. Drop from a tablespoon atop bubbling stew. Cover tightly; let mixture return to boiling. Reduce heat (Do not lift cover); simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 10 dumplings.

I always double the recipe and end up with the entire top of my large skillet covered with dumplings. Family goes nuts when I make them.

I was trying to immitate a soup we'd had at a chinese restaurant and came up with this: Husband and kids LOVE it:
4 boneless chicken breasts (the kind you get at WalMart frozen in bags) boiled, shredded and thrown back in broth. (about 5 cups water used)
6 chopped green onions
8 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
2 LARGE cans chicken broth
Cook, salt to taste then remove from heat. Gently drop in 2-3 eggs and stir well. When ready to serve, put Durkee french fried onions in bottom of soup bowl then pour on soup. The Durkee onions will soften and flavor the soup even more.
Its weird but is so.........good. My family fights over this...."who'd'a thunk it"

I didn't see a recipe for potato soup, so i'll add ours. It's pretty basic and simple, but good.

slice about 8 large potatoes into bite size squares [i know ;-)]
boil until potatoes are almost soft
[somewhere in here, make your bacon]
drain off almost all of the water
add milk until it's covering potatoes, turn burner down
add spices to taste [parsley, thyme,etc]
when milk has warmed, add bacon

tastes really good on a cold day. takes about 45 min or so to make.

OK Angie here it goes. This is a big recipe.

Take one whole roasting chicken, rinse and pat dry, sprinkle salt and pepper on the inside and stuff with 1 whole quartered onion and 1 quartered lemon. Mix 1/4c softened butter with ground sage, rosemary and majoram. You can also use poultry seasoning (about 1-1 1/2t) to get it done quicker. Spread all over the chicken. Bake at 375 degrees for anywhere between 1 1/2-2 hours until the juice from the thigh runs clear when pierced. Let cool in fridge until you can handle it.
In a large skillet melt 1/4c butter and heat 1/4c olive oil.
Add about (I'm guessing here) 1c finely chopped carrots, celery and onion.(I do 1 whole onion, half a bag of baby carrots and about 4-6 stalks of celery.) Saute for about 3-5 minutes. Add 1/2c flour and stir in completely. Start adding ckincken stock slowly stirring all the time. I normally use 1-2 cans. The flour will act as a thickener. Make sure there are no lumps in it except for the vegtables.
You can either cut the cooled chicken into small pieces or pull it apart. Put into the skillet with the vegtable mix and stir all together. When this gets to simmering it will cook the vegtables quickly. Taste to see if it needs any salt. I also add some poultry seasoning for more flavor. Sorry I normally just toss it in until it tastes like I like it.
Make the dumplings and add.
Hope this helps.
I'm rushing through this so I hope I didn't forget anything, I will re read it tonight.

Oh, I love soup!! My favorites are--Cheeseburger (sorry, dont the recipe, boyfriends mom makes it, but it is WONDERFUL), Oyster Soup (it's easy, ill show the recipe) Wild Rice (basically the same as previouse posted recipe) Potato Soup, Clam Chowder

I actually just had oyster soup for lunch- yum!!
ok, for the recipe...I dont know specifics, its all done by "eyeing it"
Oyster Soup

about 2 tablespoons butter
1 can of canned oysters (not drained)
A serving bowl of milk

Combine oysters and butter in a microwave bowl. Microwave 2 minutes.
MEANWHILE
Warm milk (NEVER BOIL) in a small pot

Add oysters and melted butter to milk.
Let cook for five minutes (again, dont even simmer it, just let it sit there, nice-n-warm)

usually serves 2-3 people, but I can eat the whole thing on my own.

Dish up, add crackers and pepper to taste!

Its easy, but its reallllly yummy.

Clam Chowder

Fry up 4-6 strips of bacon til nice and crisp, but not burnt.
Peel and cut up about 10-12 potatoes. Put in a large pot and cover with cold water, Bring to a boil. Cook just until you can cut a potato with a fork. I normally cut the potatos about 1 1/2" chunks.
reserve the water that the potatos cooked in and put the potatos back in the pot. Add just enough water back in the pot to almost cover but not all the way the potatos.
Add half a chopped onion, 3-4 stalks celery, and either 4 large carrots or about 10 baby carrots chopped.
Now I open two cans of chopped clams. I will drain the clams into a strainer reserving the juice. I strain the clam juice through a piece of cheese cloth. I then add the juice to the potatos. I then add some heavy cream and 2T butter(Makes it rich tasting) Add the bacon chopped up.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a simmer. Cook until the vegtables are tender.
If you want it thick add some corn starch and water mix.

Hope that helps Angie.

Latest posts