Its Soup Season!!

Help Support CattleToday:

angie":3dbmvh2d said:
Alan, what is wondra? Also, do you ever use cream or 1/2 and1/2 in your soup? I use it in wild rice....

I'm a bit lazy, all it is a finely sifted flour, used to thicken gravies and soups. Comes in a blue can in the isle with baking needs, flour, sugar, ect.

Alan

angie":3i45l0ji said:
Oh I forgot about ham and beans. We use hocks and split peas. I know, I enjoy it too. There has to be a bonus.....

I think maybe I wrote about my chicken and dumplings ~ couldn;t get the dog to eat it :oops: :roll:

I ca almost eat my weight in smoked ham hocks and pinto beans. But gotta have yeller cornbread with them.
Have any of ya'll cooked a pot of beans in your smoker while doing a brisket?
Put a pot of beans in your smoker and leave the lid off the pot.Making sure you put enough water to not have to add while cooking. Man you wanna talk about mouthwatering good.

Cal

Dad's Famous Italian Beef Vegetable

brown 1 lb + cubed sirloin or round or any steak in olive oil
add 1 medium chopped onion while browning meat
add about a tablespoon of garlic powder or equivalent cloves
add about four glasses of water
add two medium cans of tomato sauce
one teaspoon of italian spices
one teaspoon of parley flakes
add a teaspoon of coarse pepper
add two teaspoons salt , kosher is best
add fresh carrots , celery , taters , corn , green beans , okra , whatever
or for the chopping impaired you can use the bags of soup vegetables , but they are mushy , not crisp
simmer for an hour
serve with a little parmesan or romano cheese and hot bread

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good

It just started snowing here!! AH I hate winter.
Here are two great recipes from me, the Punkin Lady :heart:

Squash and Corn Soup

12 oz bacon, diced

1 onion, chopped

3 celery ribs,chopped

2 Tbsp flour 5 cups water

3 Tbsp Watkins Chicken soup base

3 cloves roasted garlic

2 cans cream style corn- could use any kind of corn, but this helps thicken it

1 medium squash- butternut or buttercup work well

1 cup half and half

salt and pepper to taste

sour cream if desired

Cook squash using desired method. Mash or use blender to make smooth. Can add some broth to make it blend easier.

Cook bacon, remove, drain the most of the grease and sauté the onions and celery in the same pot til translucent. Stir in flour until blended. Add Watkins chicken soup base and water slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in corn, squash, bacon, cream, salt, and pepper. Heat through and serve. Add a dollop of sour cream if desired.

Egg Nog Bread Pudding

2 cups egg nog
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 - 1 tsp nutmeg (I used 1/2)
1 tsp vanilla
12 slices of bread ( I used Sara Lee cinnamon bread from the bread store)
Combine everything and put in a greased 2 quart baking dish.
Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes

Whiskey Cream Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cream ( I used half and half)
1/4 cup whiskey
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until a low boil.

YUMMY!!

Husband loves chili. I hate canned chili.

Overnight Chili
2lbs hamburger 2 onions chopped 2 green peppers chopped
2 cans of favorite beans (we use pinto or great northern)
2 jars chili sauce 2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce

Brown the hamburger. Throw in everything else, even the juice in the cans of beans. Season with cayenne pepper, chili powder, white pepper, salt and any other seasoning you like to add.
Cook all day at a low simmer. Put in the fridge at bedtime.
reheat the next day for lunch.

I luv herfrds":2cpzddtx said:
Husband loves chili. I hate canned chili.

Overnight Chili
2lbs hamburger 2 onions chopped 2 green peppers chopped
2 cans of favorite beans (we use pinto or great northern)
2 jars chili sauce 2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce

Brown the hamburger. Throw in everything else, even the juice in the cans of beans. Season with cayenne pepper, chili powder, white pepper, salt and any other seasoning you like to add.
Cook all day at a low simmer. Put in the fridge at bedtime.
reheat the next day for lunch.

The only thang better than leftover chili, is leftover spaghetti.

Wild Rice Soup

Prepare wild rice according to package ~ DO NOT get instant or canned precooked (yuck). You will need 3 cups of this.

1 lrg onion diced
1 lrg carrot diced
1 rib celery diced

Saute these in 1/2 cup of butter, once veggies are sauted, throw in:

1 cup cooked chicked or ham long enough to heat.

Slowly pour into this mix 1 cup of flour, will get VERY pasty, makes soup thick. If you forget flour at this stage, don't try to add at end (gets gross). Anyhow, saute all that stuff, don't let flour get brown.

Slowly add 8 cups of chicken broth (I use the granules and put in 2x the amount of granules the directions call for, makes it very chickeny (thats a funny word)). Stir very well as you are adding the broth. (Directions call for wire whisk, but wire whisk is in milk replacer bag so use what you have.....) After that add the cooked rice. Boil. Shut off heat to stop boil, add 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 (can use cream). Heat up to how hot you want DO NOT BOIL AFTER 1/2 and 1/2 IS ADDED!

OK ~ Is not rocket science, I use more carrots than it calls for as well as extra meat. Taste before adding salt and pepper, the chicken broth carries enough salt for some.

I hope this is clear, is clear to me but my mind works differently than others :roll:

Is Fabulous ~ Promise ;-)

Alan":35pl1os3 said:
Love homemade chile, the only problem is it starts to really getting good on the third day but by then it's about gone.

Alan

Wife made chili Monday night, been eatting on daily since then. None of the guys at work will come within a 50' radius of me. :lol:

cfpinz

Irish Stew.....serves 4 people. in my house anyway.

1lb of Lamb fillet
2 parsnips
1 turnip
2 - 3 onions
4 carrots
1/2 - 1 sweed
handful of rice & pearl barley
3 gravy cubes
how ever many potatoes you like leave them whole, if not to big or cut them in two.

cut the lamb into cubes, dice up the veg, add everything together in a big stew pot, cover with water season to taste and bring to the boil, skim of the scum looking froth and simmer until meat is tender, making sure the water does not boil away.
EAT AND ENJOY. one last note, this stew tastes better the next day, if you leave it to get cold then the fat sits on top and can be easily removed.....Chris

Beer Cheese Soup

My kids will find ways to hide the leftovers from one another :shock:

Michele

angie":vgxnm7lb said:
Have the beginnings of vegatable beef on the stove ~ kids were so excited its time for soup. After this its chicken noodle, then wild rice, then ~ you get the picture. Keep it in the frig, the first night its what for supper, after that its an eat as you want. Anyhow ~ does anyone have any really good soup recipes out there? We eat everything so don't hesitate to send it by! I would appreciate it, by the end of winter my rotation gets old.

My son is like that with beef stew. I only make it when it's cold. He loves coming home after school to smell the stew cooking in the crock pot and he usually has to have a taste right then. My husband makes killer chicken soup in the crock pot.

Love to make chicken or turkey and dumplings. Found out the other day I like the homemade dumplings better then the box stuff.
Kids love clam chowder. Make that for Christmas Eve.
Irish Stew after I made a leg of lamb.
Fed some people rounding up cattle barbeque beef sandwiches, that was a big hit on that cold day.

I luv herfrds":2h9rjg3s said:
Love to make chicken or turkey and dumplings. Found out the other day I like the homemade dumplings better then the box stuff.
Kids love clam chowder. Make that for Christmas Eve.
Irish Stew after I made a leg of lamb.
Fed some people rounding up cattle barbeque beef sandwiches, that was a big hit on that cold day.

Please share ~ No one wants to eat mine :oops: :(

Now ya'll done went an made me hungry, think I'll have me some of my favorite canned soup for lunch,

k9pken1196222402.jpg

;-)

warpaint":25xwsovn said:
Now ya'll done went an made me hungry, think I'll have me some of my favorite canned soup for lunch,

k9pken1196222402.jpg

;-)

Thanks Warpaint! I was just sitting here eating my lunch, but I don't seem to be very hungry anymore :roll:

ILH - get that dumpling recipe out stat! Sounds great!

Angie - Thanks for the wild rice recipe can't wait to try it. Whenever I make wild rice soup my rice keeps expanding until it is more like a hotdish instead of soup. Any tips on this?

This thread is great Angie - we are a bunch of Rachael Rays huh ;-)

MistyMorning":26w2t7b3 said:
warpaint":26w2t7b3 said:

;-)

Thanks Warpaint! I was just sitting here eating my lunch, but I don't seem to be very hungry anymore :roll:

ILH - get that dumpling recipe out stat! Sounds great!

Angie - Thanks for the wild rice recipe can't wait to try it. Whenever I make wild rice soup my rice keeps expanding until it is more like a hotdish instead of soup. Any tips on this?

This thread is great Angie - we are a bunch of Rachael Rays huh ;-)

yeah ~ who'd of thunk it?

Warpaint, I don;t know if you've read or not but I rehab baby animals for DRN. I am partial to opposums ~ something about there spit and sass in response to my kind efforts appeals to me. Guess thats what keeps me going on the boards ;-)

Misty ~ I don't know what to tell you on the rice. I cook mine seperatly and add already cooked to soup. I rinse really well in cold water after cooking it and as mentioned earlier ~ I don;t boil soup once cream or half and half is in it. But I know what you are saying. I try making potato soup and it often comes out looking more like sludge than soup......

show steer up":3f8l5pho said:
New Mexico Green Chile Tortilla Soup (yum, yum, yum)

My husband saw this one and said "lets try that next!" (he likes spicy/hot stuff).

Then he checked the location of SSU and said he didn't think they ate soup in NM. :roll:
Is kinda funny. I mentioned before that we eat hot weather food and cold weather food. Soup is only cold weather food even though it is a favorite. Its interesting to learn that what we think of other parts of the country are not always what is true. Amazing what you can learn on soup thread :nod:

john250":9xe4x71p said:
Thank you one and all. I have been inspired to start the crock-pot. Carrots, green pepper, 2 potatos, onion, rib steak. The house already smells better.
Wow ~ rib steak! Thats bound to be good.
Smell of cooking is a good thing, a home thing.

Can we get a chowder recipe? Anyone?

Latest posts