Yellowstone season 5 last night

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't find season 5 as interesting so far, but It has time to improve. I'm looking forward to 1923. I loved1883; it was the best thing I had seen since Lonesome Dove.

I look forward to 1923. I love range war pieces. Series like 1883 and Lonesome Dove (and all accompanying works except for Return to Lonesome Dove) and movies like Cowboy and the Culpepper Cattle Company all show the brutality of what it took to be a cowboy or build a ranch in that time, movies about range wars show what it took to keep a ranch or the way of life.

I liked the last episode. Not near the drama. Follow a story line, show some cows in beautiful country, and play some good music. Pretty simple.

Not sure I would put a hereford on high dollar reg angus but it is what it is. LoL It was funny to see the real cowboys in the background behind the actors.

I look forward to 1923. I love range war pieces. Series like 1883 and Lonesome Dove (and all accompanying works except for Return to Lonesome Dove) and movies like Cowboy and the Culpepper Cattle Company all show the brutality of what it took to be a cowboy or build a ranch in that time, movies about range wars show what it took to keep a ranch or the way of life.
Hollywood does dress those times up considerably. John Chisum, Peter French, and Ben Snipes all working cattle ranchers who became cattle barons never packed guns. There is a story about Peter French during the 1878 Bannock Indian war. A settler ran into a war party of the Indians. It was at a gate in the rim rock. The settler turned his wagon around and ran his team to Peter French's cow camp. It took the Indians a while to figure out how to open the gate. The settler beat the Indians to the cow camp. Peter, 14 cowboys, and a Chinese cook. Peter took the "only gun" they had and held off the Indians while they cowboys saddled up fresh horses for everyone. The only loss that day was the Chinese cook who wasn't use to riding. He fell off his horse and the Indians caught him. Peter and 14 cowboys with only one gun sure doesn't fit Hollywood's stories of the old west.

Hollywood does dress those times up considerably. John Chisum, Peter French, and Ben Snipes all working cattle ranchers who became cattle barons never packed guns. There is a story about Peter French during the 1878 Bannock Indian war. A settler ran into a war party of the Indians. It was at a gate in the rim rock. The settler turned his wagon around and ran his team to Peter French's cow camp. It took the Indians a while to figure out how to open the gate. The settler beat the Indians to the cow camp. Peter, 14 cowboys, and a Chinese cook. Peter took the "only gun" they had and held off the Indians while they cowboys saddled up fresh horses for everyone. The only loss that day was the Chinese cook who wasn't use to riding. He fell off his horse and the Indians caught him. Peter and 14 cowboys with only one gun sure doesn't fit Hollywood's stories of the old west.
If the masses would pay to see that movie Hollywood would make it. They won't... so they don't. 😄

I never said anything about Indian fighting. I said range wars. I can list quite a slough of range war killings and hangings in the US. You can say what you will, but they did happen and in pretty good numbers. More than enough, I'd say. To spread the mythos of the Mild West is just as harmful to history as the over the top Wild West portrayed in 60s-80s revisionist western movies.

I never said anything about Indian fighting. I said range wars. I can list quite a slough of range war killings and hangings in the US. You can say what you will, but they did happen and in pretty good numbers. More than enough, I'd say. To spread the mythos of the Mild West is just as harmful to history as the over the top Wild West portrayed in 60s-80s revisionist western movies.
I didn't repeat this story to make a comment about Indian wars but rather about the fact that old cowboys didn't go around armed to the teeth. Was there certainly shootings and hangings. Peter French was shot and killed December 26, 1897 in a dispute started over water rights. One of my neighbors has a ranch his parents bought in the 1950's. The seller sold because he had a dispute with a neighbor over water. His neighbor held him down and stuffed a gun into his mouth. He decided to sell out and leave.
Here there is a story from 1863 (?) about a man shooting another in an arguement. He then stopped at the post office and was harassing the lady at the post office. A man stepped in to defend the post mistress and was shot in the arm. This is the post office I was at 30 minutes ago. A group of men went after him. Found him a few miles away hiding in the willows. Took him to the nearest tree and hung him.
The picture is of the hanging tree. It is mid way between the two big gold mining areas of Rye Valley and Mormon Basin. The last man hung here was accused of raping a woman up in Mormon Basin.
The west was certainly wild. Still is in places. But every cowboy didn't go around with a 6 gun on his hip and a chip on his shoulder. I get a kick out of the western movies where all the town people are afraid to stand up to the bad guys. People were tough back then and there wasn't much back down in then. If there was they would have stayed in the cities back east.

P9041582.JPG

If the masses would pay to see that movie Hollywood would make it. They won't... so they don't. 😄
Yep, that is like cop shows where somebody is going to get in a shooting every episode. My brother was a cop in Seattle for 33 years. Said he pulled his pistol out of the holster one time in 33 years. Never shot it or even pointed it at anyone. Just pulled it out and held it behind his leg until things calmed down.

I didn't repeat this story to make a comment about Indian wars but rather about the fact that old cowboys didn't go around armed to the teeth. Was there certainly shootings and hangings. Peter French was shot and killed December 26, 1897 in a dispute started over water rights. One of my neighbors has a ranch his parents bought in the 1950's. The seller sold because he had a dispute with a neighbor over water. His neighbor held him down and stuffed a gun into his mouth. He decided to sell out and leave.
Here there is a story from 1863 (?) about a man shooting another in an arguement. He then stopped at the post office and was harassing the lady at the post office. A man stepped in to defend the post mistress and was shot in the arm. This is the post office I was at 30 minutes ago. A group of men went after him. Found him a few miles away hiding in the willows. Took him to the nearest tree and hung him.
The picture is of the hanging tree. It is mid way between the two big gold mining areas of Rye Valley and Mormon Basin. The last man hung here was accused of raping a woman up in Mormon Basin.
The west was certainly wild. Still is in places. But every cowboy didn't go around with a 6 gun on his hip and a chip on his shoulder. I get a kick out of the western movies where all the town people are afraid to stand up to the bad guys. People were tough back then and there wasn't much back down in then. If there was they would have stayed in the cities back east.

View attachment 23807
And I never said everyone went around armed, though a good number did and I can name several prolific ones who did. Probably as many did as didn't, it being a choice and probably dependent upon where one was in the country and at what time period. Teddy Blue Abbott says in We Pointed Them North that most of the first over the trail drovers of the 60s and 70s did. Maybe I should have used a different word, but my point was that most westerns about the cattle industry in the west are more about the journey. The going, not the staying. Most focus more on rustlers, Indians, storms, stampede, ravines, lightning, etc (sounds pretty brutal to me) on the wagon trains and trail drives than on the struggles of maintaining a ranch, dealing with other big interest groups horning in, historically accurate depictions of range wars, etc. For instance, I've yet to see a movie or show that really gets into the nitty gritty of the various Sheep Wars or the Pleasant Valley War.

Do you get what I was driving at now?

View attachment 23807
My parents had a ranch that people from town would drive an old county road to access the back part of to poach,
this quite often involved tearing down a gate. One incident involved my Dad going up at night and waiting for them.
He always took a rifle. When these guys realized my Dad was there, he heard one of them yell "don't shoot, I'm looney".
It turned out that one individual in the group that showed up that night was a guy with the last name of "Looney".

And I never said everyone went around armed, though a good number did and I can name several prolific ones who did. Probably as many did as didn't, it being a choice and probably dependent upon where one was in the country and at what time period. Teddy Blue Abbott says in We Pointed Them North that most of the first over the trail drovers of the 60s and 70s did. Maybe I should have used a different word, but my point was that most westerns about the cattle industry in the west are more about the journey. The going, not the staying. Most focus more on rustlers, Indians, storms, stampede, ravines, lightning, etc (sounds pretty brutal to me) on the wagon trains and trail drives than on the struggles of maintaining a ranch, dealing with other big interest groups horning in, historically accurate depictions of range wars, etc. For instance, I've yet to see a movie or show that really gets into the nitty gritty of the various Sheep Wars or the Pleasant Valley War.

Do you get what I was driving at now?
Just Drive Away

Agreed. Though regarding yellowstone, i had and have my doubts since mtv took it over (? Or maybe theyre just open about it now) (i was thinking it was goin to turn into a real crapper) but not a bad season overall thus far.

Supposedly, the next Yellowstone series will be Yellowstone 6666.
One of the show's creators Taylor Sheridan, owns the Four 6s ranch and Bosque Ranch and the filming will be done mostly there.
I don't really watch much of any of them so know nothing else about it.