Ebola in the USA

Help Support CattleToday:

Apparently they have taken the article down. Royce City ISD is closing two schools for cleaning because one of the health care workers had exposure to one of the Ebola patients.

Jogeephus":2au0xyn4 said:
dieselbeef":2au0xyn4 said:
why does it seem necessary for anyone who has been in contact with it to get on a plane and fly to another part of the country...seems kinda stupid if your treating a patient with a pandemic on the fringe to go flying around the world..be youa nurse or a patient..friggin stupid to me..should be charged with a a crime like unintentional manslaughter or something

But she called the CDC and told them that she had a fever and they said it would be fine for her to fly. I'm not a doctor and at times I'm pretty dense but I think warning flags would go up in my dull brain if I had been told this. And these are our experts. The one's who are going to keep us safe.

If I were a terrorist organization I'd be sending hundreds of wanna-be martyrs to Africa to expose themselves to Ebola and then send them into the USA before someone in Washington comes to their senses and sees our porous borders are a threat to nation security. I doubt there is a risk of the latter ever happening.

She's supposed to be an educated nurse. Why in the world would she even think about calling? Ought to know to get her ass to the hospital using the precautions they have in place.

Jogeephus":22u4jvbg said:
dieselbeef":22u4jvbg said:
why does it seem necessary for anyone who has been in contact with it to get on a plane and fly to another part of the country...seems kinda stupid if your treating a patient with a pandemic on the fringe to go flying around the world..be youa nurse or a patient..friggin stupid to me..should be charged with a a crime like unintentional manslaughter or something

But she called the CDC and told them that she had a fever and they said it would be fine for her to fly. I'm not a doctor and at times I'm pretty dense but I think warning flags would go up in my dull brain if I had been told this. And these are our experts. The one's who are going to keep us safe.

If I were a terrorist organization I'd be sending hundreds of wanna-be martyrs to Africa to expose themselves to Ebola and then send them into the USA before someone in Washington comes to their senses and sees our porous borders are a threat to nation security. I doubt there is a risk of the latter ever happening.

sad group. Match 'em with CB's calf and enjoy the popcorn.

They need to close air traffic to Africa, no going there and no coming back if you are there already-just think how one person could infect many, how many people one person can come into contact with within a few days?? It is pretty scary, and now cases popping up more and more-how did the nurses get infected, didn't follow protocol is what i think they said, or is it that they did not have a protocol to follow?

I really think the first guy could have been saved if when he went to the ER the first time they would have taken it seriously-and treated him then-even after he was known to have it they did not give him the meds right away-makes me wonder why?

GMN….Not been a major war for years so no population cleansing, this is a way to do it without conflict and so ease Political unrest and upset. Just a thought.

Local news just had live coverage of the transfer of the nurse from the hospital to the plane. Must be a really slow news day in Big D. :yawn:

inyati13":ww6wgqb6 said:
JWBrahman":ww6wgqb6 said:
cow pollinater":ww6wgqb6 said:
I had a thought today(don't act so surprised, I do that from time to time). Ebola is from areas of Africa near the equator. What are the chances that come winter time it becomes limited strictly to equatorial regions? My thinking is that similar to some of the cold/flue strains it could be seasonal but I don't know enough about it to have a valid thought on the subject and don't intend to until there is something that I can do about it or it becomes a valid threat to my family.

The current strain of Ebola is a super virus that is the direct result of Bill Gates' and his misguided mission to flood Africa with antibiotics.

It is cultural. Traditionally the West Africans don't name their kids until they reach about 7 and the parents are sure they will survive. So when a know-it-all authoritarian like Gates sends them antibiotics for their kids they rarely use them properly because kids just are not that important to the mothers or to society. Political correctness has paralyzed and tied our hands. We are afraid to state the obvious facts regarding the how and why of the disease so we are left to hope that nature imposes a quarantine our leaders are too frightened to legislate.

JW, I don't know anything about Gates. I want the connection between antibiotics and viruses to be understood. Antibiotics is a traditional term used for a natural substance to kill or stop the growth of a bacterial microorganism. Not viruses. Today they are largely synthesized compounds.

Improper use of antibiotics does not provide the selective pressure to evolve a more resistant virus. Viruses are unaffected by chemical antibiotics. Antibiotics are in most cases chemicals that interfere with the metabolism of a specific bacteria. I would agree that improper or over administration of antibiotics will provide selective pressure to evolve more resistant bacteria. Immunity is the primary prophylaxis for viruses. Vaccines for some viruses can be effective. I don't know enough to comment on antiviral drugs such as those used in AID's patients. A question: In the book you reference is there anything regarding the sending of antivirals to Africa? Because that presents a different issue!

Sorry for the confusion Inyati. Yes we are talking about two different things with antibiotics and vaccines.

Dettwyler does not talk about antibiotic resistance through improperly administered antibiotics. This is a subject of some debate for decades.

The rise of super bugs and super viruses through improperly administered medicines is a topic that first came up in the 90's. Health officials in Africa were critical of American groups that were circumventing local and regional authorities to administer medical aid directly to people. It was suggested that the focus of the aid groups to administer only medicine was destabilizing the social structure. Giving medicine without providing clean drinking water and working sanitary facilities is the key to viral mutation. This guarantees and increased population of weakened hosts for the virus to replicate and mutate. Instead of one or two malnourished children surviving to adolescence the society now has to figure out what to do when all of the children survive to adolescence. Increased population, increased waste, increased disease, more opportunities for a mutated virus to spread and incubate and then you have the situation in which we now find ourselves.

Bill Gates is the most vocal and visible proponent of providing medical aid directly to people without working with local governments and infrastructure. He has been on television numerous times to discuss why he doesn't want the local governments to receive any funds. And he wields the largest wallet so he has an outsized influence on what happens.

Jogeephus":3qocjbue said:
dieselbeef":3qocjbue said:

Or you can send them on a cruise ship...

(Reuters) - A Texas health worker who may have had contact with specimens from the first patient diagnosed with Ebola in the United States has been isolated on a cruise ship despite showing no symptoms of the disease, the Department of State said on Friday.

The Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital worker, who did not have direct contact with now deceased Liberian patient Thomas Eric Duncan but could have processed his bodily fluids 19 days ago, left on a cruise from Galveston on Sunday, department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement.

U.S. concerns have intensified after two nurses from the Dallas hospital who cared for Duncan contracted the virus, which has killed nearly 4,500 people, mostly in West Africa. President Barack Obama's administration is facing sharp criticism from lawmakers over its efforts to contain the disease at home.

The employee has been self-monitoring since last Monday and has yet to develop a fever or show any other symptom of Ebola, the statement said. The worker and a companion voluntarily isolated themselves in their cabin, and U.S. officials are arranging for the ship to return to the country.

"We are working with the cruise line to safely bring them back to the United States out of an abundance of caution," Psaki said in the statement.

The person left the country before being notified of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) updated requirement for active monitoring, the statement said.

The Government of Belize said in a statement hours earlier that it had denied a request by U.S. officials to use a Belizean airport to transport a cruise ship passenger considered to be a very low risk for Ebola.

"The passenger never set foot in Belize," the statement said. "When even the smallest doubt remains, we will ensure the health and safety of the Belizean people."

The maximum incubation window for the disease is 21 days, according to the CDC

Yep, one of the healthcare workers thought to have possibly been exposed to body fluids from Mr. Duncan, boarded a cruise ship in Galveston, and went "haze grey and underway" Sunday morning. Passenger and his travelling companion are under a...."self imposed quarantine" in their cabin aboard the crowded ship....

From the golden oldie record rack......
Old Man Rhythm is in my shoes
It's no use a-sittin' and a-singin' the blues
So be my guest, you've got lots to lose
Won't you let me take you on a E cruise?

Whoo-ee, whoo-ee bola
Whoo-ee, whoo-ee bola
Whoo-ee, whoo-ee bola
Won't you let me take you on a E cruise?

JWBrahman":322lw6n5 said:
inyati13":322lw6n5 said:
JWBrahman":322lw6n5 said:
The current strain of Ebola is a super virus that is the direct result of Bill Gates' and his misguided mission to flood Africa with antibiotics.

It is cultural. Traditionally the West Africans don't name their kids until they reach about 7 and the parents are sure they will survive. So when a know-it-all authoritarian like Gates sends them antibiotics for their kids they rarely use them properly because kids just are not that important to the mothers or to society. Political correctness has paralyzed and tied our hands. We are afraid to state the obvious facts regarding the how and why of the disease so we are left to hope that nature imposes a quarantine our leaders are too frightened to legislate.

JW, I don't know anything about Gates. I want the connection between antibiotics and viruses to be understood. Antibiotics is a traditional term used for a natural substance to kill or stop the growth of a bacterial microorganism. Not viruses. Today they are largely synthesized compounds.

Improper use of antibiotics does not provide the selective pressure to evolve a more resistant virus. Viruses are unaffected by chemical antibiotics. Antibiotics are in most cases chemicals that interfere with the metabolism of a specific bacteria. I would agree that improper or over administration of antibiotics will provide selective pressure to evolve more resistant bacteria. Immunity is the primary prophylaxis for viruses. Vaccines for some viruses can be effective. I don't know enough to comment on antiviral drugs such as those used in AID's patients. A question: In the book you reference is there anything regarding the sending of antivirals to Africa? Because that presents a different issue!

Sorry for the confusion Inyati. Yes we are talking about two different things with antibiotics and vaccines.

Dettwyler does not talk about antibiotic resistance through improperly administered antibiotics. This is a subject of some debate for decades.

The rise of super bugs and super viruses through improperly administered medicines is a topic that first came up in the 90's. Health officials in Africa were critical of American groups that were circumventing local and regional authorities to administer medical aid directly to people. It was suggested that the focus of the aid groups to administer only medicine was destabilizing the social structure. Giving medicine without providing clean drinking water and working sanitary facilities is the key to viral mutation. This guarantees and increased population of weakened hosts for the virus to replicate and mutate. Instead of one or two malnourished children surviving to adolescence the society now has to figure out what to do when all of the children survive to adolescence. Increased population, increased waste, increased disease, more opportunities for a mutated virus to spread and incubate and then you have the situation in which we now find ourselves.

Bill Gates is the most vocal and visible proponent of providing medical aid directly to people without working with local governments and infrastructure. He has been on television numerous times to discuss why he doesn't want the local governments to receive any funds. And he wields the largest wallet so he has an outsized influence on what happens.

John, may have been my confusion. I have superficial knowledge of Bill Gates. I have no opinion on him other than he probably thinks he is doing something of value. I was incorrectly reading the paragraph to be saying that the inappropriate administration of "antibiotics" may lead to "super viruses". That should not be the case unless there is a mechanism I am ignorant of. I think I misread it. All is well that ends well. :D

Listened to some testimony yesterday that I thought was interesting. According to testimony in a Washington DC hearing we only have 13 beds in the USA that are capable of handling Ebola patients. The reason they said was the EPA regulations made all the hospitals get rid of their incinerators so now there are only a few facilities that can handle the disposal of dangerous waste in the country and meet regulations.

Also learned from some upstanding democrat woman politician that the whole problem is due to the republicans and the government shutdown and their withholding funding for from the CDC. As it stands, the CDC only has a budget that equates to a million dollars per each full time employee each year and the upstanding democrat said this just wasn't enough and said had they each should been given $600 more than this and had then been given this things would have been handled differently. Six hundred dollars seems minuscule to me. I seriously doubt this would even pay for a nights stay for a Secret Service agent and his call girl in a plush resort hotel - assuming he left a generous tip.

Here is a little info as to why they need more money.

"The CDC isn't much better at husbanding its resources. A few years ago, it dumped $106 million into a swanky visitors' center in Atlanta, even though it already had one. It bought $10 million worth of furniture for its lavish new headquarters and spent $1.7 million to advise Hollywood on medical plots. Yes, the federal government has blown it on Ebola. But that's not because the relevant agencies have too little money to spend. - See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer ... myUtP.dpuf"

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer ... heir-waste

Latest posts