Keep the Cattle In

Help Support CattleToday:

Sometimes you just have to be creative to get the point across. Not sure how they get charged with felony property destruction when the bleached hair will grow out in a few months, but I can see the diminution in value if they planned to sell them in the next month or so.

Sometimes you just have to be creative to get the point across. Not sure how they get charged with felony property destruction when the bleached hair will grow out in a few months, but I can see the diminution in value if they planned to sell them in the next month or so.
Even if they are being sold in a short time, it is not like they were painting big 0 on the hip. We see cows painted like that coming to the sale now. It signifies that she pregged open.

Might make them worth more...

People with a sense of humor might decide that they need one, take a few pics, and have a story to tell.

Definitely a funny story. A friend of mine has a young son that paints no telling what on round bales before they stack them in barn. He says it's to keep the help amused. They used my tractor for a couple weeks a few years back and when they brought it back there was an empty can of orange florescent paint behind the seat.

Sounds like a bunch of whiney arses. Fix your fence. I spent all day yesterday fixing fence for one Houdini calf when I should've been in the combine. 150 head is big deal.

Sounds like someone needs to buy those heifers for a deal. Offer them 2000 per head and buy some Grecian formula. There's $600 per head to be made there, minus the dye, if the article is to believed.

Back in the day, Ferrington Carpenter had a problem with a neighbor's shorthorn bull getting in with his registered Herefords. Ferrington cut the bull and tied bells to where the testicles were.
To me it sounds like there is a situation where you have an absentee tenant leasing land from an absentee landlord. The landlord has the attitude that tenant is responsible for maintaining the land, the tenant has the attitude that its not his so he won't do any thing more than necessary and the cowboys see that nobody cares so they don't either. We are living in a culture of $10,000 bulls and 10 cent fences.

I have a pretty low tolerance for cattle that cant stay in their own pasture. One time is just an accident and I'll even help you if I can, especially if its bad fence or what ever. The second time, we have established this animal is a problem and needs to get gone. The third time is negligence and the animal will be dealth with accordingly.

If Wyoming is like most other western states if you don't want critters coming on to your property you are responsible for fencing them out. I know that is flat out the law here in Oregon. It has been taken to court a time or three and the law holds.

We operate in a livestock district here. We must fence animals out if we don't want them eating our tulips. If someone hits my cow on the road they will owe me restitution.
There are pound areas closer to towns where animals must be fenced in.

If Wyoming is like most other western states if you don't want critters coming on to your property you are responsible for fencing them out. I know that is flat out the law here in Oregon. It has been taken to court a time or three and the law holds.
In SD I was told that landowners were responsible for the right half of any shared fence. I never spoke to anyone with any legal authority about it, but then I never had fence problems with neighbors.

Your fence has to meet the statutory definition of a "legal fence", which requires minimum spacing between posts, number of wires and space between wires. If an animal breaches it, then landowner can impound and start imposing a feed lien if it comes to that point. There is also a statutory process for building or rebuilding shared boundary fences.

Your fence has to meet the statutory definition of a "legal fence", which requires minimum spacing between posts, number of wires and space between wires. If an animal breaches it, then landowner can impound and start imposing a feed lien if it comes to that point. There is also a statutory process for building or rebuilding shared boundary fences.
Unless it's a county thing here, the State has no such definitions except those fences running along side a US highway or State highway. Even those are pretty vague. Farm to market and ranch roads aren't recognized and there's over 40,000 miles of FM roads here. Texas, by statute, is still open range, but all except about 20 counties (out of 254 counties) have opted for a stock law.

Latest posts