Cattle changes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The pics load pretty slowly on my computer, but interesting information. I remember the short cattle. My dad had a short Angus bull he was keeping for a neighbor for awhile. I was three and had my first Australian shepherd pup, and went out to the barn to look at the bull. My pup went up close and the bull reached out to smell the pup... and the tiny little dog barked and the bull did a 180 and went right through the barn door, the corral fence, and he ended up in our orchard.

Some of the text wonders about why "ranchers" thought it was a good idea to have these short cattle when they had places where animals needed legs to travel. I guarantee that "ranchers" weren't involved in the short cattle unless they were competing in the show ring or didn't know what they were doing. The cattle were all show and no go, and people with real cattle knew it.

I was looking through the pics and one thing struck me. The steer in the third image, Clear Lake Jute, shows more masculinity than some of the bulls being used today. Back in the days the article is describing there were bad choices being made... and it's no different today with the bulls that lack muscularity and cows with hips that can't birth a normal sized calf.

When I was a small child there were still a lot of what people called shorts around in Angus and Hereford and any of those cattle were smaller than those breeds are today.
By the late 80's continental cattle had become popular.
In 89 I purchased my first registered Charolais females. Early 90's I purchased an bull from a prominent Charolais breeder. Bull was an ET son of a recent at the time National Champion bull and Reserve National Champion female.
He was an 11 frame bull, that sired calves consistently over 100 pounds and a few as much as 135 pounds.
There was another popular show bull that had a birthweight of 150.
Bull matured at 2500 and was not fat, just tall and lanky. I came to not like that type of cattle and when I was faced with the decline of Charolais popularity and brought in an Angus bull on my registered Charolais cows, I actually thought well at least the calves will have some meat on them. I was all in for the moderation away from the tall skinny cattle.
Now we are around 3 decades from that, and I think most breeds have moderated for so long that they are too short for what the buyers and feeders want.
I have had issues more so with Angus but also one Hereford bull that's calves are too short and the calves are looked at as fleshy even though they are not creep fed and on limited rations after weaning.
They wean off small but then later they grow out and have a big enough frame and make good sized animals.
It's crazy we seem to get hammered on weaned calves but when I was retaining the same heifers and selling them at around 20 months old and bred to calve as 2 yr olds they had grown out good and lots of times some of them topped the sales.
I miss the days of the heavily Charolais weaning weights. I think it's time to stop the moderation of all breeds and put a little height back into them.
I don't care for the trend of the short legged cattle of today I don't care how thick they are something needs to change or it's going to go too far again.
I recently saw a picture of a bull being advertised and he was standing over knee deep in straw, I realized they were either hiding something ( hopefully not ) or trying to make him look shorter. ( that scares me)
I also don't like the feminine looking bulls that seem to be so prevalent. I like to see a bull head and an actual crest on the neck on bulls, and I don't even mind some dewlap.

I miss the days of the heavily Charolais weaning weights. I think it's time to stop the moderation of all breeds and put a little height back into them.
I don't care for the trend of the short legged cattle of today I don't care how thick they are something needs to change or it's going to go too far again.
I recently saw a picture of a bull being advertised and he was standing over knee deep in straw, I realized they were either hiding something ( hopefully not ) or trying to make him look shorter. ( that scares me)
That is what I like about those Black Simm x Chi-Angus calves. To me, many Simms look like a weenie dog or Basset hound...;legs too short. The Chi-Angus put some legs on those calves. Clay and I have bought 20 of the heifers the breeder will wean in July. I will send some pics or video when we get them. 10 BS x C-A and 10 C-A x BS. He will have 20 more of each when they calve in January.

That is what I like about those Black Simm x Chi-Angus calves. To me, many Simms look like a weenie dog or Basset hound...;legs too short. The Chi-Angus put some legs on those calves. Clay and I have bought 20 of the heifers the breeder will wean in July. I will send some pics or video when we get them. 10 BS x C-A and 10 C-A x BS. He will have 20 more of each when they calve in January.
Yes, I agree there are some Simmentals I don't like too for that very reason, there's a lot of Angus and Herefords like that too.
There's an outfit an hour or so from here that advertises their Chiangus bulls for sale. They look good to me, I've thought about that angle, but decided to try Simmental instead. The Simm bull we got now has some height and is very thick made.

Yes, I agree there are some Simmentals I don't like too for that very reason, there's a lot of Angus and Herefords like that too.
There's an outfit an hour or so from here that advertises their Chiangus bulls for sale. They look good to me, I've thought about that angle, but decided to try Simmental instead. The Simm bull we got now has some height and is very thick made.
When Clay started helping the man July 4th weekend, I had to go up the 2nd day and carry Clay a horse. His ( well actually it was mine, too) had thrown a shoe and tore a chunk out of the hoof. The man had a couple of 2 year old heifers he had not sold, and had bred them to a black BM bull. The calves were born in April and there wasn't a one of them under 400 lbs at a little over 3 months old. This is the guy that gives you a copy of the sire and dam's papers with the calves. He started breeding these to be terminal ( with steers..he will NOT sell a bull calf. He believes like me about cross bred bulls.) Some of these calves, steers and heifers, get sold for show calves, but he sells the heifers for replacements and advises them to breed them to a third breed for a terminal cross. Those BeefMaster calves were growing machines. Clay plans on breeding ours to a Brangus. Only thing I would not breed to would be a Sim or a Chi-Angus. I bet Hereford would work well on them if you didn't want any ear. Or Charolais if you don't mind the "color doc". You could probably stand on the porch and watch those Charolais calves growing! He used to sell his steer calves at auction, and they always bring top dollar. When we went up there in July, he had about an even split, heifer and bull calves. But he had AI'ed the cows with sexed semen back in March., so they will all be heifer calves next month. Clay wants all steers, and has a tank of straws of sexed semen from one the Salacoa Valley Farm's top Brangus sires. I told him the other day though, that I want to breed 4 of them..2 of each cross..to a polled grey Brahma , sexed for heifers. If I am around that long, I am curious to see how those half-Brahmas would do with a Hereford or Black Herford bull. But that would be...what...2028?

We have come a long way.
Today we are producing as much beef off of 10 head that used to take 15 or more.
We made great leaps initially with EPD's. IMO today too much emphasis on single traits.
Herd health management is light years ahead of 50 years ago.
At the same time inputs have skyrocketed!

A lot of bulls in the test stations this year in 4.5 to 5.5 frame. Price shows it too. After the cost of test is taken off some of them bring less than they would have as a 400lb calf.
That says a lot right there. It seems like the registered cattle trends are getting away from what the cow/calf producers need.
Smaller frame easy fleshing cattle found great until you have to take the calves to market.
Most of my cows now are going to be in that frame 5 range and a few in the 4's. When putting similar or smaller frame bulls on those cows it sets a pretty low ceiling. That's the kind of bulls I've been using hard to find a 6 frame Angus or Hereford in a field of bulls or AI.
The Simmental I have now is I'm guessing a 6 because he is just a bit taller than my five year old 3/4 Angus bull and there's exactly 3 years difference in their age.

That says a lot right there. It seems like the registered cattle trends are getting away from what the cow/calf producers need.
Smaller frame easy fleshing cattle found great until you have to take the calves to market.
Most of my cows now are going to be in that frame 5 range and a few in the 4's. When putting similar or smaller frame bulls on those cows it sets a pretty low ceiling. That's the kind of bulls I've been using hard to find a 6 frame Angus or Hereford in a field of bulls or AI.
The Simmental I have now is I'm guessing a 6 because he is just a bit taller than my five year old 3/4 Angus bull and there's exactly 3 years difference in their age.
Im ok with the cow being a shorter frame and easy keeping. 4's might be a little short for me. A good 6.5 frame bull can make it work. Add frame from 1 bull instead of 30 cows.

Back in the day of the belt buckle cattle you are not addressing a big market driver - tallow. It was used for military, industry and food. It drove the fat market just as lard did in the hogs. Purebred folks likely took it on as a fad and did ruination with it.

As long as processors are wanting 13/1400 pound finishing weights the 6/7 frame size will be the most realistic size cow.

If you own cattle and have never read this, you'll most likely really enjoy it.

"Peter Sterling." First prize 2-yr-old Angus bull, 1905 American Royal, Kansas City. A trim, muscular-appearing bull. Peter Sterling looks exactly like my bull I'm running...w/thin back-end legs...he's quite the mounter and breeder. Appears I'm running what was considered the top 1905 bull on my farm.

I bought my first cows in 1972, 18 registered Angus from a neighbor who was selling out to start a dairy. 17 of them weighed around 725 lbs to 800 lbs. each and stood not much higher than my belt. The 18th was much taller and around 1200 lbs. She had been purchased by the previous owner, representative of the new trend of more frame and weight in Angus. She was a great cow, weaned heavy calves and I kept her for many years.
I learned a couple of years later it was not good to cross them to one of the new Charolais bulls just then becoming popular, at least not a big headed bull from the stockyards.

Im ok with the cow being a shorter frame and easy keeping. 4's might be a little short for me. A good 6.5 frame bull can make it work. Add frame from 1 bull instead of 30 cows.
I agree, shorter frame easy keeping cows are fine. Problem is that when those kind of females are being produced, the bull mates are that too. Even with outliers within the same breed their calves tend to go back towards the smaller
Yes a a larger frame bull can make it work, especially if it's a bull of a different breed than the cows.

As long as processors are wanting 13/1400 pound finishing weights the 6/7 frame size will be the most realistic size cow.
I agree with you that it takes those kind of cattle to get the kind of calves the buyers pay the most for. What I don't understand is why the registered side is doubling down on decreasing frame when it's detrimental to their commercial customers.

I agree with you that it takes those kind of cattle to get the kind of calves the buyers pay the most for. What I don't understand is why the registered side is doubling down on decreasing frame when it's detrimental to their commercial customers.
I've never understood how the show circuit influences how breeders define perfection in animals. It's the same for registered dogs and other animals. The judges have some kind of weird image of what they are looking for and they trade information and land on some kind of flawed "new" concept, and then the breeders toe the line so they can win ribbons and sell breeding stock that supposed to be the "new thing". In the meantime a lot of commercially oriented people follow along and are destroyed if the concept isn't economically productive. Meanwhile the people that only concentrate on what the packers want are derided for having "old style" cattle but they are selling their animals just fine for good prices.

Latest posts