Serbian horses and cattle saved from a flood

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasJerseyMilker

Reaction score
This is in Serbia. Look at the horns on these Podolian cattle. 97 cows, 40 calves and 70 horses were brought home from flooded islands on a barge.

These hook and toss horns could hook and toss a bear. Didn't the ancient Aurochs have horns like this?
86fd8fbd-d94c-4ab7-9a53-a34ebcd2348a-medium16x9_AP24009458641075.jpg

Here is an English translation about the Podolian breed. http://www.andreagaddini.it/Serbian Podolian Gaddini 2016.pdf

I like the look of horns too but sure don't want to have to deal with them. Jerseys have wicked little sharp horns like daggers that could easily ram another cow or stab a person. Dr. Naylor's dehorning paste takes care of it.
:)

Seems to me that Texas Longhorns have impressive horns but they tend to stick out to the side. Looks like they could spear a predator by swinging their head sideways but the natural mode of attack of cattle is to charge, hook and toss.
5270286-3903232710-ab409.jpg
28424650_1632338163469924_4507089876903734205_o.jpg

We don't really like having cattle with horns, but currently have 2. I make an exception for a longhorn type every now and then, as they can sometimes be good to keep coyotes run off.
We have a Brahman x Longhorn heifer and a Hereford cross cow with horns.
The Hereford cross is gentle and will let me get hold of her horns. I made a fb post one time saying sometimes you have to take the cow by the horns.
One interesting thing about having a horned cow is that when an expert city slicker is looking at your cows they are quick to point out the bull. It's fun when we tell them no that's a cow, our bull doesn't have horns. 5E4BA080-BAD9-4CA3-99D2-AF37BF4D5380.jpeg23B58177-BE7B-412C-9894-DB7B5944417A.jpeg7F4BAB73-3809-445A-8265-079F9988703B.jpeg

IMG_6513.JPG
The Ayrshire are a dairy breed that have hook and toss horns but the dairys and show people dehorn them for obvious reasons. Here are two Ayrshire oxen.

I like the the hook and toss White Park cattle of England. There are American Park Whites but they have been bred polled.
White_Park_cow_with_calf_on_Hambledon_Hill_1.jpg
T07562_10.jpg
This painting is in my house.

Neat information on the breed. I like my longhorn and always liked horns on my jerseys, but they all have to have them and then they don't start being bullies. Had a jersey/hol that had horns and at 4 figured out she could hook other animals... so they got taken off as soon as the weather got chilly... boy was she surprised when all of a sudden she couldn't get any response from the other animals. My longhorn will shake her head at the other cows on occasion, but I have not seen her specifically "go after" anyone... she does not like dogs and coyotes so she is welcome.....

I like the look of horns too but sure don't want to have to deal with them. Jerseys have wicked little sharp horns like daggers that could easily ram another cow or stab a person. Dr. Naylor's dehorning paste takes care of it.

Seems to me that Texas Longhorns have impressive horns but they tend to stick out to the side. Looks like they could spear a predator by swinging their head sideways but the natural mode of attack of cattle is to charge, hook and toss.
View attachment 39487
View attachment 39488
This bull reminds me of the bull Buggs Bunny goes up against.

View attachment 39487
View attachment 39488
If you look back at pics of the actual longhorns that were for beef their horns were not like the pics today. They were more forward facing and curling.

That big wide pointing out deal has been bred for show.

Seems like the longhorn cows have smaller up curved horns that the steers? Is that correct? Because they were the ones that had to defend the calves from predators.

Latest posts