Cowboys on call

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had two sale barn cows get out of my catch pens and holding pens. One I never saw again and one stopped and looked back about 300 yds out, I just let the buzzards eat her. Any cow that I buy that doesn't settle down in a week goes right back to the sale barn.
What do you need spurs for when you have a trained cow horse? That will chap a bunch of dang wanna bee's. And yes, I'm to old to ask that question face to face anymore.

callmefence":1rpj4v48 said:
One question TB. Have you been to the sale at San Saba and seen the cowboys and girls move the cattle through the pens.??

I have and I would rather them handle my cattle than some day labor with a hot shot.

No never been to the San Saba sale but have seen some folks on horses in the alley's and pens at sale barns and true most are pretty good....but even that is not out in a pasture or running down the right of way of a highway. No doubt there are some good ones out there but also just as many or more that think they are good who are just a wreck looking for a place to happen. I'll just keep my old bucket and lead them down the road with it. ;-)

For all you folks that still love to use "cowboys" young and old......best wishes, enjoy the outing.
For all you folks that prefer to pen the cattle and do whatever needs to be done....best wishes, enjoy the outing.

Don't think there will ever be "one perfect way to do things" when you're dealing with cattle.

True Grit Farms":388ce9n7 said:
I've had two sale barn cows get out of my catch pens and holding pens. One I never saw again and one stopped and looked back about 300 yds out, I just let the buzzards eat her. Any cow that I buy that doesn't settle down in a week goes right back to the sale barn.
What do you need spurs for when you have a trained cow horse? That will chap a bunch of dang wanna bee's. And yes, I'm to old to ask that question face to face anymore.

Spurs are just like having the right bit in their mouth. Just a tool of the trade, not made for gutting one. You move the front end with your hands, and the back end with your feet. Sometimes, it's nice to drive ones hind end a little harder, while you keep them light on the front. One such time would be when you are on the front end, and want to create a better shot for the brake man to snatch up some feet. You can really even out the cadence of a bovine's gait when you keep your plow horses withers from bouncing. :wave:

TexasBred":b4uo828t said:
For all you folks that still love to use "cowboys" young and old......best wishes, enjoy the outing.
For all you folks that prefer to pen the cattle and do whatever needs to be done....best wishes, enjoy the outing.

Don't think there will ever be "one perfect way to do things" when you're dealing with cattle.

TB and CB I know the exact guys you are talking about and share your same thoughts.

I used a guy here not long ago to help get a bull moving. When I asked him what his plan of attack was his first comment was I'm just going to come by myself and see if I can ease him horse back then if need be I can rope or dart him as a last resort.

Other than the fact I know him it made me like him even more. He didn't need 2 buddies and a bunch of b.s. to make a production out of it. He showed up in his old beat up truck, with his home patched trailer, with the panels on the side. He was in a ball cap and t-shirt. He has never posted a YouTube video.. in fact his phone was in the truck.

That's the guys your looking for. Not these buckle wearing, team roping, new truck driving, YouTube cowboys.

TexasBred":2hl3y4dr said:

It amazes me how people will twist from the original topic when they are wrong.

I originally commented on two outfits.
One sells 3000 or so head a week.

Brute 23":2hl3y4dr said:
TexasBred":2hl3y4dr said:

TB and CB I know the exact guys you are talking about and share your same thoughts.

I used a guy here not long ago to help get a bull moving. When I asked him what his plan of attack was his first comment was I'm just going to come by myself and see if I can ease him horse back then if need be I can rope or dart him as a last resort.

Other than the fact I know him it made me like him even more. He didn't need 2 buddies and a bunch of b.s. to make a production out of it. He showed up in his old beat up truck, with his home patched trailer, with the panels on the side. He was in a ball cap and t-shirt. He has never posted a YouTube video.. in fact his phone was in the truck.

That's the guys your looking for. Not these buckle wearing, team roping, new truck driving, YouTube cowboys.

Do you own a cowboy hat brute?

I don't. Not a single one. Your a fool if you judge a book by it's cover.

callmefence":1zix9t02 said:
TexasBred":1zix9t02 said:

Brute 23":1zix9t02 said:
TexasBred":1zix9t02 said:

Do you own a cowboy hat brute?

I don't. Not a single one. Your a fool if you judge a book by it's cover.

Nope... have some buckles that I've won over the years but they are in a drawer.

Most of the largest cattle owners... the true cattle men... around here are regularly seen in fruit of the loom t-shirt with a pocket, a Wal-Mart belt, a ball cap, and some old boots. They drive single cab long beds most of the time when you see them. They usually have a little cowboy, a little oilfield trash, and touch of outlaw. They have perfected the smarter not harder lifestyle and don't give two flips what you or any one else thinks.

callmefence":1fm0f34k said:
TexasBred":1fm0f34k said:

Yeah and you've never been wrong. You think because you know a few really good cowboys and the stockyard has a few that they ALL are great cowboys. You're wrong. If you'd travel around you'd notice that 90% of the sale barns in this big state don't have a horse on the place. He// they got a gate every 20 feet so it's not hard to control animals and direct them where you want them. As I said if you enjoy cowboying on horseback then by all means do it or have it done and enjoy it. I still haven't found the need for a horse on this place or any other place I've owned. If you disagree, more power to you but don't try to change my mind. (BTW, noticed a couple of you mentioned almost getting killed while cowboying......nuff said).

TexasBred":spr2kug8 said:
callmefence":spr2kug8 said:
TexasBred":spr2kug8 said:

Yeah and you've never been wrong. You think because you know a few really good cowboys and the stockyard has a few that they ALL are great cowboys. You're wrong. If you'd travel around you'd notice that 90% of the sale barns in this big state don't have a horse on the place. He// they got a gate every 20 feet so it's not hard to control animals and direct them where you want them. As I said if you enjoy cowboying on horseback then by all means do it or have it done and enjoy it. I still haven't found the need for a horse on this place or any other place I've owned. If you disagree, more power to you but don't try to change my mind. (BTW, noticed a couple of you mentioned almost getting killed while cowboying......nuff said).

I usually admit when I'm wrong. That way I have nothing to hide or defend. You don't have enough man in you to do that.
Even when you're stupid enough to try to make a point nobody ever brought up. About something you've never seen. :dunce:
Go take a nap.... come on back and to quote cf. I'll school you again.

Enough, does it really matter who can pee the furthest?

Mod2":2fos4gez said:
Enough, does it really matter who can pee the furthest?
callmefence":2fos4gez said:
TexasBred":2fos4gez said:
callmefence":2fos4gez said:

I usually admit when I'm wrong. That way I have nothing to hide or defend. You don't have enough man in you to do that.
Even when you're stupid enough to try to make a point nobody ever brought up. About something you've never seen. :dunce:
Go take a nap.... come on back and to quote cf. I'll school you again.

My apologies. I shouldn't have said that.
Thanks for the warning.

I've known a bunch of real cowboys and caught cows running down the side of a busy highway. A snot nosed highschool kid might have a knack for it but don't have the experience or ability at that age to make decisions that keep animal or people from getting killed.

TennesseeTuxedo":3o26gd05 said:
This is like deja vu all over again.

You were the kid that ran back and forth on the picket fence with the stick teasing the dog weren't you?

slick4591":tkla8d9o said:
Mod2":tkla8d9o said:
TennesseeTuxedo":tkla8d9o said:
This is like deja vu all over again.

You were the kid that ran back and forth on the picket fence with the stick teasing the dog weren't you?

I'm thinkin' I like your style. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not surprising.

We have a father /son team , lifelong neighbors that we can call if necessary . They are both savvy , and the boy just never misses with a rope, prefer to do it myself with a feed bucket or darts so haven't had to use them , but it's nice to have the option .

I'm always amazed how good some folks are in the pasture with a rope. It's one thing to catch one that runs out of a chute in a pen and a completely different thing to catch one in the pasture. Several years ago we had a calf get through the head gate so we got his tag # and just figured we'd get him in the next few days. At the end of the day the guys helping said lets get that calf so I just said go ahead if you can catch him. These calves were in a pretty big catch trap bundle up in the corner. First guy rides up spots the calf and misses twice, second guy rides up doesn't say a word and without warning ropes the calf like nobody's business. Turns to first guy and just smiles. Theses calves (probably 100 or so) were in a pretty tight wad too. The guy that roped the calf was 15 and it wasn't luck. It wasn't a huge deal but pretty good way to end the day. Not all Cowboys are wild most just love doing what they do and take pride in being good with a horse and a rope.

Latest posts