Cowboys on call

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3gp02f3r said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3gp02f3r said:
Caustic Burno":3gp02f3r said:
If your getting one doctored by a Vet here Your hauling it in.
Cattle behavior hasn't changed you don't need a bunch guys wearing belt buckles as big as hubcaps to catch
cattle.

Hope my vet doesn't read this thread. He still comes to our place. Here he is working on a prolapse two weeks ago.

The two vets here wouldn't touch that cow unless she was in headgate minimum.

I offered to roll out the portable but Matt said head gates were for sissies.

TexasBred":3l0mavfb said:
callmefence":3l0mavfb said:
Caustic Burno":3l0mavfb said:
I would rather have a dose of clap than a "cowboy" .I quit failing that IQ test.

If I can't call and catch them with a bucket of cubes I am getting a better cow.

The :bs: of catching, stressing a cow by snubbing up to a tree has gone the way of the dinosaurs.
That is what working pens are for.

:bs:
If you don't have a way, a plan to catch loose cattle your asking for trouble. I agree it's not the first or best option. But Its quite common to require men horses and dogs to gather a pasture. Capital livestock. The biggest stocker operation in the country doctor's cattle in the pasture with horses. Most of the cowboys live within a few miles. And I've hired them before.
Jordans cattle auction makes Crockett look like the Podunk outfit that it is.
Cattle are handled from unloading to loading by horseback. A good many of the cowboys there are highschool kids on lunch break.

That's what I would be most afraid of. I'm with CB on this one....if I can't get them in a corral with feed I need to get rid of the cow.

I never said you should keep the cow......did I??

I guess if you and CB have one flip her switch y'all can hope she runs to the salebarn.

As a fence builder, I think it should be mandatory that there be good catch facilities and brand new fence in and around every pasture in the land. As a realist, I keep my pony tuned up and shod, and a bag of new ropes and tie strings at the ready. FWIW, I performed my first C section with nothing but an emergency box of supplies the Vet had assembled, a head gate tied between two scrub oaks, and a cell phone on speaker with said Vet. They both lived, even though there were no "good" facilities in that 10,000 acre lease pasture. I'm not looking to offend anyone, but there is a big difference between a cattle farmer and a cowboy. They both have their place, I suppose.

callmefence":34wyua6g said:
TexasBred":34wyua6g said:
callmefence":34wyua6g said:
:bs:
If you don't have a way, a plan to catch loose cattle your asking for trouble. I agree it's not the first or best option. But Its quite common to require men horses and dogs to gather a pasture. Capital livestock. The biggest stocker operation in the country doctor's cattle in the pasture with horses. Most of the cowboys live within a few miles. And I've hired them before.
Jordans cattle auction makes Crockett look like the Podunk outfit that it is.
Cattle are handled from unloading to loading by horseback. A good many of the cowboys there are highschool kids on lunch break.

That's what I would be most afraid of. I'm with CB on this one....if I can't get them in a corral with feed I need to get rid of the cow.

I guess if you and CB have one flip her switch y'all can hope she runs to the salebarn.
Dam sure wouldn't call some "cowboy" away from HS on his lunch break. He might chase her right past the sale barn and still never catch her.

TexasBred":34w8wn94 said:
callmefence":34w8wn94 said:
TexasBred":34w8wn94 said:
[/u][/b]

Dam sure wouldn't call some "cowboy" away from HS on his lunch break. He might chase her right past the sale barn and still never catch her.

You would be dead wrong.... those kids are cowboys...I mean the real deal.

callmefence":2c0r5vho said:
TexasBred":2c0r5vho said:
callmefence":2c0r5vho said:

Amen. I was pretty ranchy by the time I hit high school, and the kids these days are way ahead of where we were at that age. Don't ever pass judgement on someone else's capabilities based on your own limitations. :hide:

Bright Raven":qxlmkt6x said:
Bigfoot":qxlmkt6x said:
There's very few here doing what you speak of. Only one person comes to mind, as a day hand. I can think of 2 people that would catch nuisance/wild cattle.

Troy. Rocking P in Maysville does. They are famous for it. The state uses them if cattle are running loose and the owner cannot handle them. I know Keith well. I have bought about 10 heifers off their operations.
2vkiwb7.png

About 6 or 8 weeks ago, I got a call from an insurance company to catch some near Carlton. Way too far for me. Would this guy have been driving distance. I didn't know about him.

TennesseeTuxedo":wbefuy8d said:
Caustic Burno":wbefuy8d said:
Bright Raven":wbefuy8d said:
The "cowboy" practice is rare here. There is one big operation that has horses and gear to handle crazy cattle if they get out on a highway. The state calls them and the cost is charged to the owner of the cattle.

The vets are converting to the practice of bringing livestock to them.

If your getting one doctored by a Vet here Your hauling it in.
Cattle behavior hasn't changed you don't need a bunch guys wearing belt buckles as big as hubcaps to catch
cattle.

Hope my vet doesn't read this thread. He still comes to our place. Here he is working on a prolapse two weeks ago.

Can't be a prolapse. It's not a Hereford. ;-)

May still be one or two that do it with horses, but they're older folks and not the young wild guys I see some talk about in this thread. Every one here used to use horses and dogs when this county was still open range..had to since the cattle and hogs were running in the national forest, which is not what most think of as a forest. It was then and still is by every definition, a jungle. The stock didn't see people for 6-9 months and sure didn't see feed except hay at hay points during winter. (When I came back from overseas the 1st time, that had all changed as the county enacted a stock law the same year I went in the service.)
The best rough stock cowboy left in this area with good horses and good stock dogs died in 2015, one of the old time cowboys.
There are some younger (than me) guys up the road that will help you with their horses, but they aren't high school age.

I know my sister's grand daughter's husband lives out near Weatherford, and still does it sometimes, but he makes a living as a rodeo pickup man & roper and has cattle of his own as well so he has good horses and dogs.

My vet will come out, but I usually take them in to her place in Coldspring. I don't have the greatest pen but she says it's lots better than some she goes to. Like CB, most of mine come right in the pen if they see a bucket in your hand. When all mine got out during the flood, all that survived came back home from the Forest on their own within 3 days..looking for something to eat. (No such thing as limiting water on my place, just too much of it in too many places even in dry times)

I sure don't do it anymore like when I was a teenager. Different kind of cattle than what we had when I was a teenager. The cows changed because i did as i got older. That whole spurring a horse thru thick brush and briars got old real fast..too hard on the horse and the rider. I don't know which was bloodier at the end of the day..me or the old horses we had. (I don't even own a horse any more)

Bigfoot":35e6pau7 said:
Bright Raven":35e6pau7 said:
Bigfoot":35e6pau7 said:
There's very few here doing what you speak of. Only one person comes to mind, as a day hand. I can think of 2 people that would catch nuisance/wild cattle.

Troy. Rocking P in Maysville does. They are famous for it. The state uses them if cattle are running loose and the owner cannot handle them. I know Keith well. I have bought about 10 heifers off their operations.
2vkiwb7.png

About 6 or 8 weeks ago, I got a call from an insurance company to catch some near Carlton. Way too far for me. Would this guy have been driving distance. I didn't know about him.

They operate local. I would guess they would not go more than 50 miles from their home base.

Bright Raven":1dz2sqin said:
Bigfoot":1dz2sqin said:
Bright Raven":1dz2sqin said:
2vkiwb7.png

They operate local. I would guess they would not go more than 50 miles from their home base.

I see, and I don't blame them. Insurance catches can be the most lucrative, but it's hard to get away from home base.

Bigfoot":3q2g261i said:
Bright Raven":3q2g261i said:
Bigfoot":3q2g261i said:

I see, and I don't blame them. Insurance catches can be the most lucrative, but it's hard to get away from home base.

Call Spencer Grubb, if you ever have that kind of gig come up again. We pretty well raised the kid catching wild cattle, shoeing horses, fencing, etc. Turned out to be a dang good cowboy.
812-327-2746
Pretty sure he has a FB page....Indiana Cow Catchers, if I'm not mistaken. And he travels.

Farm Fence Solutions":n8ige1ll said:
FWIW, I performed my first C section with nothing but an emergency box of supplies the Vet had assembled, a head gate tied between two scrub oaks, and a cell phone on speaker with said Vet.

You had a headgate? We just had a tree and lots of ropes. It was an upgrade when we built our first pen of sorts and planted a cut telephone pole in the middle of it. Just a roughly round sawn oak pen with a big funnel leading in to it. Rope one, run around the pole with the rope right quick while someone pushes her toward you, and you take up slack till you have her snubbed up close.
Branding and cutting, we would cast them. Deworming, we left the standing and snubbed high. Most had horns which made it easier for my and brother's poor roping.

I need to go out into the Nat Forest across the highway and see if that old cement dip vat is still there. Probably filled in after all these years. The stock owners would cut long saplings, tie or nail them to trees to make a big Vee and drive the cows thru the vee and the only way out was swimming thru the dip vat. (Ticks and grubs were awful back then)

Farm Fence Solutions":3n7kenpg said:
callmefence":3n7kenpg said:
TexasBred":3n7kenpg said:

Amen. I was pretty ranchy by the time I hit high school, and the kids these days are way ahead of where we were at that age. Don't ever pass judgement on someone else's capabilities based on your own limitations. :hide:
Fence I couldn't catch a cow with 4 ropes and haven't been on a horse in ages but I still don't want HS kids messing with my cows. I've seen how they carry on in the alley's at sale barns and if that's they way the act on a horse they could ruin a set of cattle pretty quickly. NO thank you.

greybeard":22w291ht said:
May still be one or two that do it with horses, but they're older folks and not the young wild guys I see some talk about in this thread. Every one here used to use horses and dogs when this county was still open range..had to since the cattle and hogs were running in the national forest, which is not what most think of as a forest. It was then and still is by every definition, a jungle. The stock didn't see people for 6-9 months and sure didn't see feed except hay at hay points during winter. (When I came back from overseas the 1st time, that had all changed as the county enacted a stock law the same year I went in the service.)
The best rough stock cowboy left in this area with good horses and good stock dogs died in 2015, one of the old time cowboys.
There are some younger (than me) guys up the road that will help you with their horses, but they aren't high school age.

I know my sister's grand daughter's husband lives out near Weatherford, and still does it sometimes, but he makes a living as a rodeo pickup man & roper and has cattle of his own as well so he has good horses and dogs.

My vet will come out, but I usually take them in to her place in Coldspring. I don't have the greatest pen but she says it's lots better than some she goes to. Like CB, most of mine come right in the pen if they see a bucket in your hand. When all mine got out during the flood, all that survived came back home from the Forest on their own within 3 days..looking for something to eat. (No such thing as limiting water on my place, just too much of it in too many places even in dry times)

I sure don't do it anymore like when I was a teenager. Different kind of cattle than what we had when I was a teenager. The cows changed because i did as i got older. That whole spurring a horse thru thick brush and briars got old real fast..too hard on the horse and the rider. I don't know which was bloodier at the end of the day..me or the old horses we had. (I don't even own a horse any more)

Just because someone is young doesn't make them wild. Most of those kids have been on horseback handling cows since they could walk good. And with it being a family business. That's a young man's job. And girls... Some are girls.
Anyone of them has worked more cattle than you,cb,tb,me,andffs combined. In a year or so anyone of them could be in a foreign country with a m16...yet TB thinks their not capable of doing something theve been around their whole lives. ..beats me.

greybeard":3b5bswqk said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3b5bswqk said:
FWIW, I performed my first C section with nothing but an emergency box of supplies the Vet had assembled, a head gate tied between two scrub oaks, and a cell phone on speaker with said Vet.

You had a headgate? We just had a tree and lots of ropes. It was an upgrade when we built our first pen of sorts and planted a cut telephone pole in the middle of it. Just a roughly round sawn oak pen with a big funnel leading in to it. Rope one, run around the pole with the rope right quick while someone pushes her toward you, and you take up slack till you have her snubbed up close.
Branding and cutting, we would cast them. Deworming, we left the standing and snubbed high. Most had horns which made it easier for my and brother's poor roping.

I need to go out into the Nat Forest across the highway and see if that old cement dip vat is still there. Probably filled in after all these years. The stock owners would cut long saplings, tie or nail them to trees to make a big Vee and drive the cows thru the vee and the only way out was swimming thru the dip vat. (Ticks and grubs were awful back then)

It was pretty crude....Rough sawn lumber tied to the trees with pigging strings.

TexasBred":1nzvwhqn said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1nzvwhqn said:
callmefence":1nzvwhqn said:

Fence I couldn't catch a cow with 4 ropes and haven't been on a horse in ages but I still don't want HS kids messing with my cows. I've seen how they carry on in the alley's at sale barns and if that's they way the act on a horse they could ruin a set of cattle pretty quickly. NO thank you.

Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion. :D I blame the Japanese for starting the myth that horses will ruin a set of cattle. Kawasaki, Honda, or Yamaha......Had to be one of em. :cowboy:

I don't doubt that Fenceman. It's a different kind of terrain here and not many people rising cattle any more, so I just don't see or know many of the younger folks. You get a little west or south East out of these piney woods it's probably a lot different. Still lots of cattle being raised down in the saltgrass in Chambers and East Galveston county on open ground and lots more of it than my place or CB's..and a different kind of cattle too.
The White Ranch down near Winnie may have more realestate tied up in just their gathering 'vee' than my whole place.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6766881 ... a=!3m1!1e3
As far as I know, they still drive their cattle across the intracoastal waterway to the grass on the other side several times/year, but they have a method figured out for that too. They pull the calves off, truck the calves to holding pens on the other side of intracoastal, then the mommas and bulls will swim over to the calves. It's interesting to watch for sure.
Right out of this alley across the waterway into another alleyway where the calves are waiting.
0314pc_fears_3.jpg

(It don't take much, to have worked more cattle than me either)

Farm Fence Solutions":2xcmtmem said:
TexasBred":2xcmtmem said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2xcmtmem said:

Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion. :D I blame the Japanese for starting the myth that horses will ruin a set of cattle. Kawasaki, Honda, or Yamaha......Had to be one of em. :cowboy:
Sorry fence. Just my opinion. Nothing more. I really try to avoid this type of cattle and like you stated maintain excellent fencing as well. :nod:

Latest posts