How do you call the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can come on this board and learn a lot, I say that from experience. It's free info from genuinely good people donating their time to others success. Ya, you have to wade through some bs but you can find one or more people operating simular to you, or where you would like to be. You can see pros and cons and all sorts of perspectives on all kinds of topics, again all FREE.

Always be leary of magic beans.

I hope one day Bob decides to actually join the forum rather than just use it.
I like Jack and the Beanstalk.

Anticipatory stress is when they are stirred up in advance at something they think is going to happen. Gathering up to the gate waiting to move even though they have plenty of feed where they are is one example.
That is what I figured you were talking about all along, as did some of the few actual cattlemen/women on here that "got it". What I wondered is how much...what level of stress...you are talking about? I am quite sure it isn't to a degree at which they would be going into shock and falling out. Other than that, you are just beating a dead horse to death, by saying anything else. You are just feeding the trolls from now on out.

It tells me that the Mexican cattle had poor mothering abil

Well I tried. I don't see how that is an answer to my question. And I see what you did write as ducking the question more than attempting to provide an intelligible answer. In fact it seems more like moving goal posts so you can avoid answers.

Tell me something Bob. Have you ever spent any time out in a pasture with a bunch of cows, and had them come close up with their calves to investigate you... and then park their calves around you in a nursery... going off to graze while they trust you with their babies? I don't believe stressed cattle do that.

Seems like your ideas are geared toward something entirely different than anything I've needed. I just don't see the value and from what I can see you don't have the ability to communicate how it's valuable. I think, so far, that the people here that call their animals are doing just fine doing it, and they know more concerning their animals and type of operation.

Be well Bob. I truly hope you figure it all out.
Actually I've answered several times. You seem to have it all figured out that it isn't stress, so then what is it?

Actually I've answered several times. You seem to have it all figured out that it isn't stress, so then what is it?
What is it? The answer - I'm not selling or trying to sell anything to anyone here. To sell a "cure" you might have to make up an ailment. This mysterious stress that you know about and nobody else knows about seems a bit hokie. Maybe the reason nobody knows about it is because it doesn't exist in the first place.

Warren and his imaginary friends, Skippy and Scooter, are just now getting an idea of what it is even though they have been sworn to allegiance to you and your cause for days and it seems like decades. Maybe you can do some more mumbo jumbo typing and Warren can bring his horse out and ride it in your cattle herd. Those would be two great New Year's resolutions for the daring duo of anti-cattle calling. But you have answered nothing with nothing.

Not really a great communicator then, because several people here have asked questions so they can understand what you are getting at and the only one that seems to get it is a guy that gets invested over expressed claims of special knowledge rather than science or logic.

So unless you can speak in English and address my question... good luck to you.

As to what "it" is... I'm not even sure what "it" is. You're the one claiming we're doing "it" wrong but refuse to make "it" clear.

Now that we have had 16 interesting pages I will now pose the question that has been on my mind……. herd animals tend to bunch in tight herds as protection from predators and stress. Calm relaxed herd type animals tend to scatter and graze when they are relaxed. Hence the reason cattle are easy to bunch and drive. So I am not sure the example of all the animals in a tight group grazing is exactly the example of stress free that it has been pitched as. It does however fall in line with the rest of his examples that tend to counteract his theories.

Now that we have had 16 interesting pages I will now pose the question that has been on my mind……. herd animals tend to bunch in tight herds as protection from predators and stress. Calm relaxed herd type animals tend to scatter and graze when they are relaxed. Hence the reason cattle are easy to bunch and drive. So I am not sure the example of all the animals in a tight group grazing is exactly the example of stress free that it has been pitched as. It does however fall in line with the rest of his examples that tend to counteract his theories.
That crossed my mind too... but I was asking questions to take it step by step so the guy could get to that eventually.

Exactly!

Yes. Have you ever asked the question as to why they scatter out instead of acting as a herd?
I have. Answer: Cows will move independently when they are NOT stressed. They will, as all animals will, bunch together as a response to stress as more eyes together mean a more rapid response to any threat, which is a stressor. Flocking or herding is a typical response to stress. Animals will scatter in response to extreme stress, but when animals scatter in this fashion, they are not scattered and leisurely grazing or resting under a tree. They are scattering as the run full tilt to get away from an immediate threat.

If you ever fly over a herd of 500+ elk in the mountains hundreds of mile from people you will see them nicely scattered over the hills. Some laying down, most grazing, spaced out randomly all over the place pointed every which way. They don't graze in a tight mob. That's for hungry animals on the move.

On another note, anthropomorphising cattle to try to understand their behaviour shows a poor grasp of the cow's thought processes. We are not herd animals (well, most of us), and we are not prey animals.

With cattle being prey animals, I could go into details about water placement and presentation and how that has an impact on cattle stress levels and daily gains. I won't do that here though as we don't need another rabbit hole. I could start a new thread if someone wants me to though.

Well this is rare. A brown noser, a know-it-all, and a misguided freak all in the same thread.
Oh, and your momma bobs for apples in the toilet.

Somebody has to wake the rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts