How do you call the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katpau

Reaction score
When I was a child we always called in the milk cows by calling out "Come Boss". It sounded more like K Bahhhhss. The Boss was loud and drawn out. I was probably over 10 before I even knew we were saying "Come Boss". It seemed like most of the other farmers in the county used that same call, at least my extended family all used the same one. In those days, rural Minnesota was mostly small family farms. You could raise a family on 160 acres milking cows, growing crops and raising a few pigs and chickens.

I still use that same call today, and the cows will come in from a great distance. We seldom need to herd them, because that call means there will most likely be food, and they will follow us almost anywhere.

How do you call in your cows?

Maybe a regional thing. I also heard everyone say "Come Boss" when it was time to bring them in for milking. I still say it. Cows seam to understand if I'm calling them to turn out to pasture in the spring or cornstalks in the fall. When trying to bring them up for weaning or shots, not so much.

Haaayyyyuup, come on girls. If they hear it they are coming on the run! I have pulled them out of a 4 lane highway in 7:30 a.m rush hour traffic with it. Thought the police were going to hug me.

I started a few years ago with 3 girls. So the call c'mon girls -yeooO and maybe a few hand claps until the original girls hear/see me, then no problems at all.

Last season during rotation, our bull was through the electric fence on the street side (no danger) still 50 yards to the street, tomorrow's food, my wife caught me trying to direct him in with 2 step in posts, through the hole he came out of..... thought it sounds logical, before the rest follow him out. He stars his rodeo bull twists acting like an overgrown puppy. My wife walks up the driveway like the boss, opend the gate, calls the cows and he come running. He went over the fence to catch up with them. All the way down to the lower pasture. The things ya learn........... and how .

Whoooooooo
Funny story was all the time growing up, my parents ran feeder steers, that's stockers for y'all not in KY. We drove them up, I have walked these hills many times since I was 7-8 years old bunching those steers up from all over and driving them to the barn to feed. Getting a new bunch was a nightmare for while.
When I was about 13 my parents rented out part of the farm to my uncle, my mother's brother.
I was out in the yard one morning and heard him hollering in a raspy voice. I asked my mother what in the world was he doing? She said he was calling his cattle up. A lightbulb came in in my head,
I decided right then and there, that when I had cattle of my own by gosh they wasn't gonna be no chasing them over the hills I was gonna call em to come to me. And I have done just that.

Occasionally I've named a cow for one reason or another. One of the first names was Beulah. So Beulah stuck as the cattle call. It's easy to make it, "Beuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulaaaah!"

I had a big hill behind the house in Arkansas and the cows liked it on the top in the summer. I'd call them down and it would take them some time, but eventually they would come running down the hill, bucking and cavorting like a bunch of calves. There's nothing in the world like watching a two thousand pound, white/cream Chianina jumping around like a youngster and sliding to a stop within a couple of feet... followed by the rest of the herd acting like idiots.

Mine just get a long drawn out Cmon.
My bull paddock fronts a reasonably busy road, Each new lot always amaze me at how quickly they recognise my vehicle. Of all the vehicles that go by each day they never fail to raise their heads and head to the feed troughs when I go past, lots of very similar vehicles but they never get it wrong with me.

Ken

Mine just get a long drawn out Cmon.
My bull paddock fronts a reasonably busy road, Each new lot always amaze me at how quickly they recognise my vehicle. Of all the vehicles that go by each day they never fail to raise their heads and head to the feed troughs when I go past, lots of very similar vehicles but they never get it wrong with me.

Ken
Yes, and they do the same with my hay tractor. Sometimes not much fun to try to get through the gate without a jailbreak.

Haaayyyyuup, come on girls. If they hear it they are coming on the run! I have pulled them out of a 4 lane highway in 7:30 a.m rush hour traffic with it. Thought the police were going to hug me.
None for me, thanks. Glad it worked out for you and everyone else.

Depends on which farm I'm on (which really screws me up sometimes 😂)
At home its; Boss, Come Boss
At work its; Sa Calf
At another farm I'm on quite a bit they holler MINERAL

I'm the same way, SBMF. I've got herds that are across the road from each other and some that the pastures adjoin. Each herd has their own unique call. But it is confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts