How do you call the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
For cows: Suuh Caaalf in a loud drawn out holler
For hogs: Whooo Pigggg
For sheep: Sheeeeep while banging on a plastic buckett with a feed scoop (Actually banging on the bucket alone will do the job)
I always called dogs and horses by name, Ruby or Kate for example

It was once one of the prettiest sounds in the country to hear the neighbors calling in their cattle for salt, all with their own unique call.

I only ever have a couple at a time, so I call them by their names. Any name will do, though, if they think I have treats. ;) Sometimes if it's windy, they can't hear me, and I have to walk out to get them, but usually yelling a name or hand clapping will do the trick.

I rarely have to call them because they automatically come when they hear the Polaris - and I swear they can tell time. I generally feed around the same time every day and if I'm late, they're waiting for me. That said, I still call out "Baby Girls!" to the heifers and sometimes "Hey Girls" to the main herd, more as a greeting. I never have to call the bulls because their pasture is across the road from the retained heifers, and I feed them first. They're either already waiting for me or making their way across the pasture.

They usually come when they hear the tractor or the truck...honking the horn on the truck works well...an occasional SUP!, C'mon girls! with a rattling of a feed bag brings them in close...sometimes a little too close.

Wow, I'm way out there I guess........ for me it's 'Heyyyyyy Mammaaaaaas'.
If I scream that out of the top of my lungs they know something is going to happen, move to a different field, get salt........ whatever.
With that I get their attention, they'll start calling their calves and move towards me........ but then it depends on what I want from them....... if we try to move them towards the gate going into the corral........ lol......... yeah, no, we don't want to go there.......... good try. =D
Bulls are 'hey boys' or 'hey big butts' but they usually don't care about being called and keep doing whatever. Usually start fighting and being assholes when we want to move them.

wooooooo giiiirls cooooommmmee onnnnn . Depending on the time of year, we may have to rattle a bucket with some cubes in it.

Anybody remember the old "Hog Calling Contests" that would be held at county fairs and such. I never saw (or heard) one in person but remember seeing them on TV. Seems like the world championship was held in Arkansas (naturally).
It was a spoof of the real thing, a relic of the time when almost every farmer had "woods hogs" that ran loose and fattened on chestnuts. The contestants all dressed the part in flop hats and bib overalls. They could really get creative with their calling.
Sorry about all my reminiscing but more and more I seem to live in the past, so much of today is beyond my understanding (at least what appears on the evening news).

Anybody remember the old "Hog Calling Contests" that would be held at county fairs and such. I never saw (or heard) one in person but remember seeing them on TV. Seems like the world championship was held in Arkansas (naturally).
It was a spoof of the real thing, a relic of the time when almost every farmer had "woods hogs" that ran loose and fattened on chestnuts. The contestants all dressed the part in flop hats and bib overalls. They could really get creative with their calling.
Sorry about all my reminiscing but more and more I seem to live in the past, so much of today is beyond my understanding (at least what appears on the evening news).
That's easy, stop watching the news. Nothing good on there anyway.

Don't know if it is beyond your understanding...lots of what we hear nowadays is just plain old beyond understanding in general...foolishness is always beyond comprehension...and that's much of what we hear these days...I think 50/50 may be on to something...any more, I just watch the weather...then change the channel

I have two psychic baldys that literally sense me coming down the road 99.5% of the time and alert the others...they all come out running towards the barn before my truck even gets near the land. The few times I was able to get to the barn without them sensing, seeing or hearing me (opening the heavy-forged-chain- banging loudly against the steel)...I'd beep my horn at the barn a few times...0.25% that would work....and finally if the horn didn't work....the remaining 0.25% I yell out with hands-clasped around my mouth..."Mister Bull !" "Mister Buuulllll!"...wait about a minute to see the stampede of happy bucking, twisting, head-butting cattle coming.

Can't spell it correctly but still use the one Dad did a lot. Something like " Whoooooork". You'd have to hear it :)
If they are close by of after they come, it's usually "C'mon girls" or "C'mon calves". The sheep always got "Sheeeeeeep".
Daddy had a "71 Ford 4X4 with a nice note to the horn. On rented farms he pulled in near where he wanted the cows and tapped the horn two short notes. Sometimes had to do it again.

Interesting how cows are to sounds. One neighbor has a '95 Ford with a 7.3 diesel. When I "upgraded" to my '93, I could go into my adjoining field and his would start to bawl and look at the truck. Not because they weren't fed or out of mineral, I can promise you. They were looking for that pelleted feed he would bring them when he checked them.

I seldom watch much news. Bookmark several news sites on my computer and scan some headlines. If something seems interesting, I can read until I want to stop.
I don't need someone telling me what they want me to think about something. Wish they'd go back to telling what happened and let people decide for themselves how they feel about it.
Reminds me of elections. Tell me what you stand for and want to do, if elected. The other candidate can do the same. I can make up my own mind about supporting one. Or neither.
The above statement is not intended to bring attention or support to any present or past candidate. Just an non political .

I seldom watch much news. Bookmark several news sites on my computer and scan some headlines. If something seems interesting, I can read until I want to stop.
I don't need someone telling me what they want me to think about something. Wish they'd go back to telling what happened and let people decide for themselves how they feel about it.
Reminds me of elections. Tell me what you stand for and want to do, if elected. The other candidate can do the same. I can make up my own mind about supporting one. Or neither.
The above statement is not intended to bring attention or support to any present or past candidate. Just an non political .
Amen, buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.