Good cow went dry

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Lee

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Over the last month I have noticed a calf born in January not growing nearly as fast as his peers. He has begun getting pot bellied like he hasn't been getting milk. Yesterday I figured out who the mother was and her bag has dried up. Upon the discovery of the mother I remembered a couple of months ago that she was laying down a lot but I never picked up on anything other than that. She maintained condition and never showed any other problems. She has always had some really good calves and is 8 years old. My questions are does anyone have any idea what might have caused her to dry up do and if it may be a recurring problem?

Thanks

You sure she is only 8 ? I've seen it happen more with older cows 10+ . Nutrition would be one possible, age , and some type health issue .

:unsure: Are you sure it is the cow that is the problem? I'm wondering if it is the calf that has the issue. And then beyond that, is the issue possibly genetic which could mean either the cow or the bull, or a random mutation? This is going to require some sleuthing, or get rid of the cow, calf, and possibly the bull and start afresh. Haver to consider all possibilities.

The calf not nursing could be the problem as to why she dried up. But if this is the case, why was the calf not nursing?

She could have gotten mastitis, laying down alot might have meant she wasn't feeling good, mastitis could have been contracted from laying in a dirty spot where staph or strep could have been: just contact with a dirty spot on the ground that you never would have picked up on...and she might have been leaking a little milk, the bacteria got into her udder... mastitis, and drying up...
At this point.. it doesn't matter why... the calf needs to be brought in and fed to get the nutrition level up so it will lose the pot belly, and will be more saleable. With these prices, it might be in your best interest to just sell it, now. And, honestly... with cull cows in good flesh bringing in the $1.00/lb range... she would be gone if she was mine.
We took 3 old cows to the sale 2 weeks ago, 2 had calves that were just not growing, one calved with a dead calf and not a candidate to work with to graft a calf on... they brought between $.90 and 1.05/lb... 2 calves brought $2.00 lb and I would not have given you $1.00 for them...
Yesterday did some more house cleaning... took 2 totally nut cases steers that would never gain any weight since they would go out of their way to blow through you out the barn when the rest would stand around and eat quietly, and 4 other older cows that came up open... just weaned calves off them a little while ago... don't know what the cows brought yet because didn't stay late, but the 2 steers weighed 420 and 450 I think son said... and they both brought over 3.00/lb. One was red white faced (baldy looking, not hereford but xbred) the other was black... The one went over 2 gates, into the bunk feeder and fell out and threw himself on the concrete floor in the barn and son thought he broke his neck... got up and ran down the length of the barn and over another gate and got in with the ones he was taking to town so he managed to get them all loaded...
Got one last preg check on Monday, and I suspect they are all bred, have not seen any heats at all for 2 months... but I have been looking at all the so-so cows very hard... anyone comes up open, or has a crappy calf... will be on the very short list to take a ride.

You sure she is only 8 ? I've seen it happen more with older cows 10+ . Nutrition would be one possible, age , and some type health issue .
Yes. I bought her when she was around 450 pounds 7 years ago. Never had any health issues until now. On good rye grass since February. She definitely had something going on a couple of months ago but I couldn't ever pin point the problem.

:unsure: Are you sure it is the cow that is the problem? I'm wondering if it is the calf that has the issue. And then beyond that, is the issue possibly genetic which could mean either the cow or the bull, or a random mutation? This is going to require some sleuthing, or get rid of the cow, calf, and possibly the bull and start afresh. Haver to consider all possibilities.

The calf not nursing could be the problem as to why she dried up. But if this is the case, why was the calf not nursing?
Pretty sure the cow. Calf didn't stand out when i worked them in March. I remember the cow was laying down off and on at the time. My plan was to give her some antibiotics when I worked them. Forgot all about it when she came through because other than finding her laying down when the others were grazing she looked good. Once I noticed the calf, probably early April, it was probably already weaned by mom and that's one reason I had a hard time figuring out the mother as it was never nursing.

She could have gotten mastitis, laying down alot might have meant she wasn't feeling good, mastitis could have been contracted from laying in a dirty spot where staph or strep could have been: just contact with a dirty spot on the ground that you never would have picked up on...and she might have been leaking a little milk, the bacteria got into her udder... mastitis, and drying up...
At this point.. it doesn't matter why... the calf needs to be brought in and fed to get the nutrition level up so it will lose the pot belly, and will be more saleable. With these prices, it might be in your best interest to just sell it, now. And, honestly... with cull cows in good flesh bringing in the $1.00/lb range... she would be gone if she was mine.
We took 3 old cows to the sale 2 weeks ago, 2 had calves that were just not growing, one calved with a dead calf and not a candidate to work with to graft a calf on... they brought between $.90 and 1.05/lb... 2 calves brought $2.00 lb and I would not have given you $1.00 for them...
Yesterday did some more house cleaning... took 2 totally nut cases steers that would never gain any weight since they would go out of their way to blow through you out the barn when the rest would stand around and eat quietly, and 4 other older cows that came up open... just weaned calves off them a little while ago... don't know what the cows brought yet because didn't stay late, but the 2 steers weighed 420 and 450 I think son said... and they both brought over 3.00/lb. One was red white faced (baldy looking, not hereford but xbred) the other was black... The one went over 2 gates, into the bunk feeder and fell out and threw himself on the concrete floor in the barn and son thought he broke his neck... got up and ran down the length of the barn and over another gate and got in with the ones he was taking to town so he managed to get them all loaded...
Got one last preg check on Monday, and I suspect they are all bred, have not seen any heats at all for 2 months... but I have been looking at all the so-so cows very hard... anyone comes up open, or has a crappy calf... will be on the very short list to take a ride.
I had not thought of mastitis. That is probably the case. I had not really wanted to sell the cow as they are costly to replace. I was hoping there may be some disease that I wasn't aware of that may cause a cow to go dry while having a calf on her but then she was good after that (wishful thinking). I'm sure I will sell her and move on. The calf is on good grass and I'll just leave it with the others until I wean the others. He may be a little dinky when hits the sale barn but less costly than getting him up and feeding him.

Thank all of you for the replies.

If the cow got staph or strep mastitis, then the calf may not have nursed because it would not taste good... if she got got something more serious like Klebsiella or coliform, the cow would have definitely been sicker, some will just lay around more if it isn't too bad, but they will mostly all dry right up after it. So, be glad the cow survived, ship her while prices are so good, if the calf is doing okay on the feed/grass, then sell when it suits you. I would watch prices, and honestly, after what they were bringing at the sale on Friday, they would both be gone if they were mine, immediately....
Yes, costly to replace, but if you keep any heifers as replacements, then keep one or 2 more than normal... or let the grass build up a bit, and don't replace until prices come off...

Latest posts